en

Upcoming updates on the moderating system

Follow 5
Add topic
Search
Ray
Ray | 22-07-2020 11:07
Hey guys,

There are some questions about limitation of the current review and moderating system. With this topic I'll try to explain my plans to make the moderating system easier, easier not only for the users but also for me to maintain it.

System always get outdated at some point in time. So it's a continuous matter of updating it to the latest demands. It's time for the moderating system to get an update. This update is on the drawing table, I can't give an exact timeframe of when this will be available on the site.

In the new update:

1) The artist-moderator will be removed. On average content gets locked for too long until an artist-moderator reviews it. Speed to get new lyrics on the site is key. So hours at max, not days or weeks. Removing the artist-moderator also fits better to todays usage. Back in the days people wanted to moderate their favorite artist, today I see that that majority simply would like to moderate, not related to one artist.

2) Your moderating experience wil be measured. This could be as simple as being your vip level. This could also be based on your submissions, or even a exam you'll have to pass. How this will look like it for later. This experience determines how much validation is needed for content that you submit. High experience means no validation, content gets updated straight away. Lower experience means that your contribution goes to the review system where your experience also tells how much validation (votes from other) is exactly needed. With this the "3 months rule" is also dropped.

I'll keep you posted!
21 comments
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 08-08-2020 16:26
Digging this! Can't wait to see the outcome!

One question regarding removal of artist moderation - I'm fine with this myself, but in place of that, will there be any way to get notified about artists we follow? Even without artist moderation, I personally would still want to know when Snap creates duplicate/bogus content on artists whose maps I've maintained over the years. I feel like this would be a good way to utilize the "follow" button on artist pages outside of it simply listing music interests on our profile. And if users want to follow artists but don't want to get notified all the time - simple, it could be a toggle option to turn on or off.

Just throwing ideas out there, but I do hope some equivalent of this notification system remains in any case.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 12-08-2020 16:13
is the fact that the links that should expand on the black bar in Artist view are not working connected to these changes?? (the menu bar below the artist header picture which shows artist/lyrics/albums/moderator/submit..)

the bar is not expanding at all, so like i cant get into album view, or lyrics view... unless its a glitch on my browser?? (laptop/chrome)

wanted to check here before i created a new forum topic on this issue... thought maybe Ray shut it down until the artist moderator link could be changed (if that is planned, considering these new moderator changes) the only link working on that bar right now is the HOME icon
music_junkie
music_junkie | 12-08-2020 16:38
hmm. ok now its working again... Ray..????
music_junkie
music_junkie | 12-08-2020 18:00
okie dokie. im noticing different things with this new moderation process roll out...

Nicolas made it sound like he has some different access (at least, different than do i), maybe he does, maybe ray gave a few peeps a test run at the new mod system? maybe it's already based on VIP status level privileges???

but i put a couple change requests in a little while ago & i did NOT experience the same as Nicolas described previously where his changes (deletes i think?) went live immediately... and Ray isn't actually submitting any song/artist delete/merge/primary artist change requests through PRQ.

i put 2 requests through (using same request form as always) and they both hit the PRQ to be voted on. nothing different there.. but they also were in MY reviews, so i went into the PRQ and was then able to vote on them - presumably, because they both APPEARED as if Ray submitted the requests, not me...

huh??

guess there's still some operatin' goin' on under the hood, yeah??
ATESGUNES
ATESGUNES | 25-08-2020 21:59
This actual style was good.
But I have a request: Guests shouldn't add anything to our database.
Adding something should be with membership, because when reviewing the songs or albüm forms, I see lots of things suggested without the rules.
For that reason I'm giving "NO" vote for any mistake to recognize it. And of course I look who sent this form and I see name is "Guest". We don't have any information for telling something to him.
After that the second time we try to find the new addded song or albüm and correct and sending to review queue, this is at least two days long.

İf the option to add a song or album to the database is limited to "Members Only", wouldn't such problems be less?
This is my opinion, I'm sorry.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 25-08-2020 22:57
atesgunes.. i kind of agree with you and understand why you make the suggestion..
but I'm guessing Ray likes letting everyone add content because of the need for speed in getting new content online...?

your comment makes me wonder - how often is pure junk submitted (in general)? does EVERY edit go through the PRQ or does LSI have a screening mechanism to prevent spam from hitting the PRQ?

Anyhoo.. unless bossman has alternative ideas for the new moderator system, i would be in favor of letting unregistered guests EDIT or ADD NEW - as long as we also continue to have either the existing PRQ or something similar, where more senior mod members can review before the change is live in LSI. :p
roxcyn
roxcyn | 27-08-2020 22:07
I'm digging these changes. Thanks Ray

Ategunes, I appreciate when guests add the lyrics as not everyone wants to join the website. A lot of people are voting "no" when they should vote "yes".
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 28-08-2020 21:13
Ates is one of those people who vote no when it should be yes. Kinda weird.
ATESGUNES
ATESGUNES | 28-08-2020 21:34
İf you see any mistake in any form, would you approve it with closed eyes?

Just half an hour ago I have seen a song lyrics form, there was just three words in lyrics. Did I have to say [YES] for this?
Or any of you see the "Verse" "Chorus" "Refrain" "Bridge" "Repeat Chorus" etc. words in lyrics form, what do you have to do?

I don't give always [NO], but it's better than correcting for modifying again.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 28-08-2020 21:41
See this is the thing, you select "no: other reason" and give no reason.

There was an instance a week or two ago where a guest had submitted genre corrections and I'm certain you had voted no: other reason on them all and gave no reason.

So what mistake(s) are you seeing that leads you to vote in a way that you're not even explaining the said mistake?

As for your example of that song with three words, Scott (roxcyn) confirmed there were only three words.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 31-08-2020 23:19
atesgunes.. ray has said that he prefers we use these comments (chorus bridge verse etc), it has some affect on Google search engine hits?

but more importantly is the question of voting no over typos, incomplete lyrics etc. i think basically ALL lyrics should be approved as long as they are legitimate lyrics for the song or an honest effort to submit the correct lyrics. even if they missed a verse or chorus (or put like, repeat 4x), partial is better than zero. and we can always go fix any formatting etc later. but I'm pretty sure these are the preferred rules for approval on lyrics anyway...?

now at the risk of running this topic completely off the rails... LOL i keep wanting to ask about tracklist that are submitted with #s.. i have personally gone into the submitted tracklist album and just update the correct track list while the erroneous tracklist submission is still in the PRQ, then voted no to the submission since i already corrected it. but I'd like to know if the code will parse out those track#s automatically?? bc yeah, it's a big pain to go back and fix each individual song title later.. lol. so this is an instance where i WILL vote no, over tracklist #s, but only bc i know i can override the system without waiting for the request to run through the PRQ.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 01-09-2020 02:01
Ray has stated if the lyrics are 50% there or more we approve them. Small errors or formatting can be corrected. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask us.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 01-09-2020 04:08
I've been working on lyric sites for upwards of a decade now, and I will say this - I've seen plenty of transcriptions where the transcriber didn't finish it for whatever reason (maybe they got frustrated and gave up...or went to make a sandwich halfway through? lol). Even though it drives me nuts to see, it is still something, and is better than not having any lyrics at all. Worst case scenario, the person just provided an incentive for someone else to finish where they started.

I'm sure this is Ray's philosophy too. It's not necessarily the ideal situation, but humans aren't perfect, and with an endless abyss of songs out there that have no lyrics online whatsoever, it's really doing a disservice to others to reject a partial transcription.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 06-09-2020 15:59
So to further add to my statement the other day... ATES, you voted "the lyric format is unreadable" even though it was fine and then proceeded to vote "yes" on a review request that look identical. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but this has me puzzled. Please explain to me if you don't mind because I am truly puzzled.

There was also a review request in there that was submitted by a guest. They weren't entirely sure it was correct and Scott made a good comment that basically says yes allow it because if it's wrong, it's still good to have it and we can just fix it. I bring this up because if the guest didn't say that they weren't entirely their submission of the lyrics were correct and Scott didn't make that comment saying it's good, I am almost certain you would've voted no. I'm just confused, I mean this in the nicest way.
Ray
Ray | 07-12-2020 15:31
Hey guys, a small update on this project. It's in progress. It's quite some work and time is limited. But we'll get there

Some features I'll try to add:

- It will be possible to submit a correction while reviewing, this will appear as "improved answer" to the next reviewers, who can select this improved answer as correct answer.

- You can see what items are in queue and what their status is. Also when you've reviewed an item you can "re-open" it again to for example read the review comments.

- Trusted reviewers get more weight, so they can push items faster throught the queue.

I'll keep you posted!
Ray
music_junkie
music_junkie | 07-12-2020 19:53
LOVE ALL OF IT! great upgrades Ray!
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 07-12-2020 22:50
Fantastic Ray! Thank you for this. Your hard work does not go unnoticed.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-12-2020 22:57
Wonderful ideas, Ray! All of these are very long-overdue and necessary additions for the current public review. Can't wait to see these roll out!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 13-12-2020 07:50
I love those changes and ideas!
robinsvy
robinsvy | 04-06-2021 20:26
I have correct and complete lyrics to a song (with incomplete and incorrect lyrics) in public review. Question : Is the "improved answer" option available in review yet? I have not seen it.
robinsvy
robinsvy | 05-06-2021 02:25
Just ignore that comment; it likely does not even belong in this section.

I am looking forward to all the new bells and whistles being added!
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: