LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Revising Gender question on Profile?

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-07-2020 07:46
I write this out of ignorance as I have not attempted to begin a new member registration recently on LSI.

But with all the current freedom of gender choice, I wanted to open the discussion thread here for figuring a method to change the question from "male" or "female" into something more appropriate for our day and times.. [Of course everyone can get a "one time" change of gender PM/Email to alter their original choice if they so choose to do so on their LSI Member Profile page?]

[Also, isn't it nice to find something to discuss that is NOT COVID-19 related?]

Researching it a bit....

Looked up the legally challenging way to ask the question: [Definitely not every country has allowed these choices, but many do, and more are adding it each year. In the USA, not even every state out of 50 approves asking the question this way.]
I came up with three basic choices and multiples of these..

One source has it into just three categories....with then sub categories.....

The classification has three categories: male, female, and gender diverse. Gender diverse can be further divided into four subcategories: gender diverse not further defined, transgender male to female, transgender female to male, and gender diverse not elsewhere classified.

I've seen the question asked as [listed alphabetically!] : "Female" "Male" "Other"!

But then I checked further and found you can have too many gender choices which led UK researchers to find confusing in answering the question.

Too many gender choices...

58 Gender choices are listed for Facebook!

As a fun click.....see what types of symbols someone came up for the non-binary choices...just one person's point of view.

So what does everyone else here think before I craft a suggestion under "Support" for Ray to consider???

* offtopic :
[I tried to re-register....encountered problem that my Email was in use already....(of course! dummy!) Tried another Email...then it says number of letters and numbers should be between 3 to 15--- Dummy! someone must have it...so I added numbers to end of it....its still refusing to show me the NEXT screen where I register my details i.e. "female" or "male"....
So if someone has their Email account working properly and can test out the registration process to see....maybe Ray already has settled this question in the registration process? I can't get an answer....dummy! used up my 3 smileys for this post there!]
2 comments
SebastianEvans
SebastianEvans | 17-02-2021 14:26
I think male, female, and gender diverse options are the best options.
SebastianEvans
SebastianEvans | 25-02-2021 10:27
In general, I am a fan of liberal and even libertarian philosophy and advocate for each person to position themselves as they feel and choose their gender role based on their own motives.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: