LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

New LANGUAGE dropdown box.

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
music_junkie
music_junkie | 02-07-2020 21:25
this is a nice feature ray thanks for add!!

but can it be moved to the END of the options bar, either before or after the search icon?? dont know about anyone else but I keep accidentally clicking it when reaching for the edit icon..
20 comments
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 02-07-2020 21:29
I'm not sure how you're managing to hit that, lol.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 02-07-2020 21:29
lol. i use a track ball, its a little fishy.. so is the arthritis in my hands..
music_junkie
music_junkie | 02-07-2020 21:30
also in part bc im not used to anything being in front of the edit icon, muscle memory.. lol
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 02-07-2020 21:31
Oh, I see. Interesting then. But yeah, this is a good suggestion if you're hitting it on accident.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 02-07-2020 21:31
Haha, that's understandable.
Ray
Ray | 03-07-2020 09:26
Thanks for the input music_junkie, much appreciated!

Technically I think the current position is the best spot. Muscle memory is a b**** - so to speak I also misclicked a zillions times That will get better with time.

If it's a matter of not being able to click the buttons because of the slightly smaller width, that's another thing. Adding the extra button was microsurgery, since for smaller screens there is not much space to work with. I made all the buttons a little smaller on small devices. If you think this is too small, then I have to do some restyling and move some button-functionalities to the "hamburger"-menu on the upper left.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 03-07-2020 13:12
oh yessss i do realize what a MF-er repositioning a menu icon can be, especially across multiple platforms!

after i posted i thought of the left side menu, although it might be equally complicated depending on the code. any thoughts on difficulty moving it ABOVE that right side icon set? i think that would afford you more room to call attention to users onscreen for the new feature, you could add a little bit of text like 'NEW! choose your language here: (drop down)'

but yeah, at a minimum perhaps making the edit button just a wee bit bigger could be a help.. i do edit from cell phone occasionally, usually at least for public review queue, most major edits like new albums etc is from laptop. mucho easier-o on the big screen-o

merci beaucoup for hearing me out Ray!
music_junkie
music_junkie | 03-07-2020 13:16
also something that could help, can you pad the spacing between the language and edit buttons? I'm sending you a screen shot of my phone so you can see how it looks, the arrow by EN is nearly touching the edit tool.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-07-2020 17:57
My two cents....I missed the creation of this topic...don't know how....not used to the new way of displaying in either "comments" or "trending topics" so only by scrolling down I found it!

Good idea music_junkie! Especially for us trackball users!!! (more than just you of course have it for same reasons).
Helps to prevent wrist carpel tunnel syndrome of constantly lifting and moving mouse back and forth on the mouse pad too!

I see music_junkie excellently posted some of exact same complaints as I list here with solutions...just tweaking them a bit for clarity in terms of current and future operations [see words in brackets at end if I'm getting too much in the coding details for those just reading posts here on LSI to handle].

Going to the reason for the posting is that on my LARGE screen monitor....I slowly swipe from left to right near the "hamburger" symbol for menu [I like that name I'm using it from now on Ray!]
and importantly....I can see the finger symbol momentarily jump to arrow before becoming the finger symbol again for the "LetsSingIt" clicking area.
That is perfect padding and buffering zones!

Now, without cheating and using editor for the elements on the page...if you slowly move the same trackball left to right over the smaller images of the "EN V" "Review" "Profile w Notification bell" and "Search magnifying glass"
these are sooooo close together there is NONE...I mean ZERO change over from one object choice to another.
And this is moving over an area of about 4 US inches, or 10+ cm!
The image on the cursor never once wavers or changes to indicate when one has left one zone of click-ability to another.

Just pointing this out to indicate that the padding inbetween the items might have to be increased so one can see if they are actually ON the landing zone area of the choice they want to make or not.

I believe there was a similar problem with the introduction of the new style "blue" activation buttons until you made the whole button activate not just the arrow part [I mean the pop out or save buttons as I see below as I write my message]

I hope this observation helps in your repair operation as if I'm having difficulty on a giant tv like screen..imagine the problems of navigating this on a smaller phone screen.

Not one to suggest things as I personally don't use LSI on a phone...but maybe a "two" tier solution can be done.
i.e.: Menu [Hamburger] can be moved below the "LetsSingIt" logo so they are on two vertical different lines
and two of the four objects :

[I'd choose the two more frequently used (??) like Search and Review be on the top
and EN and Profile be on the lower row below them....then you can squish things easier as its not only a
horizontal change, but a vertical change as well.....so having only two choices...means you can widen the padding
and create a safe landing zone for cursor.....which I suggest this also as it makes the NEXT change on the top area much much easier to add in.....as you've now created a new way to design in a vertical as well as horizontal movement to accommodate the usual portrait mode most people hold their cell phones in, am I correct in thinking ahead this way Ray?]
music_junkie
music_junkie | 05-07-2020 19:02
practice.. great observations /explanations.. which made me just pay close attention to my cellphone, and i just noticed something.. in vertical view the text under the LSI logo (the internet lyrics database) stretches far past the logo and hogs all the horizontal space in the menu bar. but when I flip the phone to horizontal view, that text squishes up (or the logo image might be larger?).. but this reflects the fact that the text under the LSI logo is independent and needs resized better to free up room on the menu bar to add padding to the right side menu icons..
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-07-2020 19:08
Thanks!

* offtopic :
By the way...in other "Something Broken with VIDEO functions" thread..... I don't switch between phone and PC, but are these problems occurring more with the cell phones than with the PC people? Maybe your reply will let me know if I should raise it there as a possibility???? [Should run the same, but there can be very small hidden differences in wi-fi vs broadband capacity in home vs using phone that might set off a cascade of errors that appear and disappear....I've not noticed the problem on my PC except for Robinsvy's selected out ones]
music_junkie
music_junkie | 13-07-2020 00:55
maybe I should add this as a new post but since it relates to the language drop down box...

every time I get through the public review, and since we don't have an I DON'T KNOW or SKIP IT choice, i end up just approving the ones in non-English, taking on good faith that the person who submitted wasn't adding a bunch of garbage or fake info (especially when submitted by 'guests'). so it occurred to me, it would be nice if we could use the translator function during the review process..
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-07-2020 08:02
Sorry Ray.....again no instructions for someone who likes to click on a "i" and read instructions....

I decided to play around with your new language feature and see HOW it WORKS!

1. I took Danske first, first on the list alphabetically!

OK, on a regular Forum page...it converted all the command or click boxes to the Danish language!

But it left everything else in English!

OH WAIT A MINUTE! This was created to help us with songs...

So leaving it in the Danske mode, I jumped over to the Public Review to see the English worded song I left undone...

NOPE! Still the command/click boxes were in Danish....BUT ALL THE WORDS in the song are still in English!

Hmmmmm I'm doing something wrong...

So I went back to English...refreshed the page....and got the commands back to English...

2. Then I tried Spanish as if anything goes wrong I can figure out what the boxes say---I know from position anyway being an "old timer" *gasp!* here anyway!

Ok, the boxes changed to Spanish Instructions... I used them to click around the Comments and Trending areas just to give the translator something to do...

3. But all the other topics names.....
But all the words inside each Topic in the Forum
All the words on the page other than the command or copyright or other info, are still in ENGLISH!

4. OK, went off to check review button again.

YES! Si! This is now in Spanish! OK Its working! The song in the Review section appears now in Spanish! {No, dummy me didn't think to check to see if it also works in Danske again--just happy to see the words in Spanish now}

5. Ok, enough playing with the new feature....let me go back to British Flag English (recommended) choice and keep posting elsewhere on site....

NOPE
NADA
NEIN!
NON!
NEE!

Its now "Stuck" in Spanish!

That is what I get for playing around with new buttons!

So I refreshed page...waited again ...refreshed page.....[Remember the last command I gave was back to British Flag English (recommended).....
Yet all the buttons are still in Spanish....

6. OK, closed the entire tab...opened new one in English and I've left it that way...

7. QUESTIONS:
Is that the way it should work?
Are more "i" instructions needed for those who get stuck in a corner?
Just me? Or are others having problems with too quickly switching languages?

8. Oh the right click has interesting choices in the three dots if anyone cares to check it out:

Choose another language
Never translate Spanish
Never translate this page
This page is not in Spanish

Strange choices from "google translate" Just so everyone is aware of those choices...but
but...you only get them "once" when you first translate the page...afterwards right click does not activate the choices or the three button/menu pop up....

It might be under google translate's control...but just letting you know it only appears once...

9. I went back and numbered the items I brought up to make the long posting clearer I hope!

P.S. for music_junkie:

it would be nice if we could use the translator function during the review process..

See #4 above...it appears to work now for translating the songs in the Review section....which is what I went to check out too...give it a try....you wrote the note above 10 days ago, so maybe its fixed now!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-07-2020 15:21
Instant update! {edited}

Posted in error above: ^
IT DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME ON THE SONGS Sorry music_junkie and Ray

ITS currently intermittent at best on different pages..

Try "Notifications" page

it says (no screen shot photos today to share, sorry)
4 days ago = 4 dias hace [correctly translated!]

BUT... all other items like "go to comment" "unread" "read" are still in English
PLUS the heading buttons on the page

Notifications (title)
My Account / Notifications

read status ^ date V^

Public Review is all in Spanish 100% on the initial welcome/instructions (thank you for instructions) page with the menu choices in Spanish
[Again chose Spanish as I recognize the words to check somewhat its working as planned---vocabulary is really old.....don't ask me to speak it as NO ONE understands my Spanish..its from the breakaway "Castilian" providence!)

# # #
Interesting! "Fascinating" as Mr Spock would say I'll type it as copy paste nor photo works on the hidden menus:

Left side "hamburger" menu:

Inicio
Canciones
Albumes
Graficos oficiales
Forum
Help
Sobre nosotros

wait a minute there!

Google translate says:
Help =Ayuda !! Yes I knew that one for years
Forum = Foro {checked French... Forum = Forum...so that is why I'm checking Spanish, not because I know it but because I can recognize something "wrong" easier).

So what is the bug there>>???? Why is it not translating some choices...

Sub..menus under the left side main "hamburger" menu ... "+" signs:
All look ok to the untrained eye...

# # #
Now to the Public Review song page:

Translation to Spanish :
Review = Revisión is correct at top of page
BUT then it drops off!

The coding to include all the rest of the page in the "translator" has not been accomplished fully:

Still says in English:
All artists (5)
You reviewed 20%
(naughty me!!!)

My artists (0)

Song correction
....etc...

So nothing to help a foreign speaking person along to even navigate the page

or "Your vote"
or "Should this song be corrected in the archive?"
I'll stop there you get the idea.

Thanks for reading!
Sorry music_junkie for clicking wrong on my version of the page and ending up with a Spanish song to review that I THOUGHT was all translated!

oops!
music_junkie
music_junkie | 23-07-2020 21:31
sorry practice.. i'm confused..

i think you're explaining the LSI translator only works intermittently, in some areas not others.

TBH i havent tested it out much except once i think while in a lyrics view screen (not edit view) and it did switch the language.. i DID just try changing lang to spanish for fun while reading your posts in this forum and NOTHING was translated on the page but it also changed my page view from the posts i was looking at to.. im not sure where, maybe a default forum topics view?? wherever it went it took me away from the page i was viewing, which i also don't think is supposed to happen.. but then again, i'm not sure if Ray coded it to be used in the forums (yet/at all??)... wi\e'll need him to weigh in.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-07-2020 22:37
Sorry for any confusion! [missing apologetic smiley goes here]
Not my purpose in life to cause MORE confusion....
Correct in your thinking there......

and

wherever it went it took me away from the page i was viewing, which i also don't think is supposed to happen.

Did not happen with me! What browser are you using and what device (phone)?

Might help Ray pinpoint this...My information first: Laptop with Windows 10 and Chrome browser.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 23-07-2020 23:26
OH good point, should have mentioned.. on laptop, Chrome browser Version 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 24-07-2020 02:49
I thought of "something" that others may not have.

Say you're visiting LSI for the first time.....as a guest...no idea that we have "registration or memberships" and you want to look up a song...IN SPANISH...and YOU ONLY SPEAK SPANISH (yes I know Spanish and English have common connections)..but Spanish is the one I checked...We could play the game and say I tried it with Turkish! But I didn't...I tried it with Spanish to imitate what is the real experience of someone coming in first time ever on site!

I used my balky, crashy, Microsoft Edge that was upgraded against my wishes...just because I had to use another browser and it was open and available...and so we go with it....

1. So when our imaginary ( I HOPE WE RECEIVE WITH OPEN ARMS NEW GUESTS ALL THE TIME FROM AROUND THE WORLD!) new guest from Spain,
(which includes the Spanish speaking countries of the Western Hemisphere too!) arrives... they see the "EN" menu..and if they know what's what....they recognize its where you find the translation drop down menu.

2. Click on the EN (I know I'm repetitive, but making certain you know I followed the rules of the new process) and you see the 9 choices for languages...

3. I see the FLAG from Spain (good Ray used flags in case someone doesn't know "Spanish" means translate TO Spanish from English)....going pretending to be someone who is newbie to all this....

4. Then you click on the flag.....and it translates the page! NOPE!! NOT YET!

5. Remember! This is a "guest" This person has not signed in yet!

6. The Image of "EN" or whatever language translates to a new graphic.....its saying if you hover the mouse cursor there...."Translate this page" (IN ENGLISH OF COURSE! I'm the dummy!) "to" ENGLISH is preselected....

7. So I right click on the "ENGLISH" word....and voila! I see a DIFFERENT PULL DOWN MENU THAN WE ALL SEE!!!!

I HOPE I GOT THIS CORRECT all the steps I took, so you see it too....

I'll TRY TO FOLLOW IT AFTER I TYPE THIS TO MAKE CERTAIN IT IS VISIBLE IN MICROSOFT EDGE THIS WAY!

I CAN'T USE CHROME as I'm using it for other things...so I can LOG OUT..but then too many pages I'm working on for LetsSingIt scream that they are crashing...asking "do you want to leave? any changes will be lost" ....so lets skip my trying this on Google Chrome for now....

Did I write too much explanations? SO do as Jeff does and says: TL DR My Number 7......

8. Right click on the new type of Icon...and ....*drumroll please*

I discovered a brand new pull down menu!

It says "Translate page from Spanish" [Yes language is wrong...grammar is wrongish...but lets skip over this]

Below that is a BOX that says "Translate to English"

ENGLISH?? Everything says everything is still in English!!

Sooooo use the "English" word to pull down that box and you discover you NOW can translate the WHOLE page just like Google Translate allows you to do...to any one of 100++ languages

[I took screenshots of all this...even though I can't post them in case Ray wants me to send them to him...via ftp or something.....including my cursor pointing to "Bulgarian"...which I didn't dare select for fear I'd get all the tabs into it...and have to close out my entire browser to start all over.......which is exactly why I only experiment with this type of a test with a "guest" coming from Spain, et al.....just in case something goes wrong!]

TL DR...sorry....

9. Watch the address line that has https://www.letssingit.com/es/ on it on the right...a NEW ICON is there...

Hovering over it says "Translate options"

The NEW icon has a moving marque message.... "Translating" it says

Really??

Then it says in purple: "Translated" and the moving marque vanishes into the new icon...

MAYBE its something that appears only with the "new" Microsoft Edge....but now all the commands and words on the LetsSingIt Home page are in Spanish! And the LOG IN Menu is in Spanish too!

10. I'm not finished yet! The new white menu box on has another surprise....
Next to the "Blue" "Translate" button it says in white: "Not Now" and you click on white box that with right click on that box, it gives you choices to "Not now" or "never translate Spanish"

OK I'm done....

11. I don't give this next piece of information for Ray...as I know what CAN and CAN'T be coded as part of LetsSingIt, but whomever is reading this through Google searches.... there is a funny error in the translation box...

It says "EN" when we are in English, correct?
It says "ES" when the page appears correctly translated to Spanish.
But this new menu I discovered...before anyone logs in....says "IS" for Spanish! hmmmmm which is strange..
Or "ESO" when you initially "hit" the Spanish in the 100 languages drop down menu! THREE INITIALS! [ or "I" for Bulgarian...go figure!]

# # #

Ok I'm leaving it to everyone else to play with their own browsers ---so many to choose from and see if its a Microsoft Edge--the new version--- problem??? Or something that also occurs in other browsers!

Sounds great, doesn't it? 100 ++ languages are available on Microsoft Edge browser to translate the LetsSingIt pages to!

I would just need someone who is more experienced in BOTH other languages, AND browser coding, to figure out if this is something that is ONLY for Microsoft Edge, or something that is going to be available for all the browsers!

Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 84.0.522.44 (Official build) (64-bit)
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 24-07-2020 09:59
Hmmmmm

Should I do a manual checkup for each language to specify what parts of menus are not designed as "translatable"?

For example: I hit German! Ja!
Wunderbar! [Always wanted to use <<<that German word in a sentence and now I legitimately can!]

In German Mode:

Noticed "Songs" on Hamburger menu was in English...so I Opened the sub menu:

"Populare Songs" "Recently added songs" "Vorgestellten Songs"

HEY waaaiittt a minute..... Songs may be same in both languages...but "Recently added" part is still in English

Should be: "Kürzlich hinzugefügte "

So is "Forum" and sub menu "Trending topics"

Forum is same in German but "Trending topics" = "Untermenü "Trendthemen"

and under "Uber uns" Site map? Museum? Is that a German word

Yes! I didn't know that! Museum is same in German! So is Site map! Suprise surprise!

So I went back to Google Translate for the answers and posted above:

Should I go through all 8 other languages too?

To finish up with German:

Recently added albums = "Kürzlich hinzugefügte Alben"

Recently updated albums = "Kürzlich aktualisierte Alben"

Public Review Menu:

Blue Submit = "Submit" how about that?

Blue Review (34) = "Rückblick (34)"