en

Welcome To The Forum!

Follow 3
Add topic
Search
lil_minty
lil_minty | 08-07-2004 17:24
Welcome!

Congratulations for joining the phenomenon that is...the letssingit forum!!
A wonderful place to be. Anyway, in light of 'recent events' I thought I would create this thread, in the hope of helping new forumers to understand the rules and to fit in!
The first thing you need to do is READ THE RULES!
A lot of new forumers don't realise there are rules *sigh* and don't know where to find them!
You can read the forum rules here, and the general member rules here.

Ok so. "Discriminate people". This generally means ignoring or treating others differently because of whom or what they are. This could be in terms of where they are from/ their race (more commonly known as racism) or maybe even how long they have been in the forum. Try to be open-minded and tolerate everyone.

"Insult people". This can be through discrimination, as above, through the language you use towards them or just being rude. Everyone is allowed their own opinion, but just think about how controversial yours is! Some people take great offence from small comments so think before you post.

"Spam" Well the main definition of spam is already there i.e. posting topics in multiple categories. This means making many threads about the same thing. Spam can also be posting pointless things multiple times e.g hi, hi, hi, hi (in many posts) creating threads in the wrong categories e.g. 'hello i'm new' thread created in 'request lyrics' category. Spam can also be creating a thread when there are already many others. E.g 'Im bored' 'Lets chat' 'abortion' 'favourite song' etc etc. This can be done accidentally, but always search for topics before you make one. You do this by typing in the word e.g. 'abortion' into the search box. Spam can also be posting a LOT in a short period of time. For example, if you posted 1000 times in one day, this would probably be considered spam. To search to see if there is already a thread on a certain topic ( so you don't spam ), use the search bar on the left hand side, under the forum menu. The other search bar ( on the top bar ) is to search for artists, albums, songs, lyrics, and fanpages.

"Use rude language" Basically don't swear!! People sometimes tend to do this without even realising it! It is advisable not to swear at all, even posting words with stars in l*ke th*s can be offensive to others. And regardless of whether you think swearing is natural or not offensive, it is against the rules! So don't do it!

Posts will be removed if they are not in the right category- see above (spam)
If they don't have a clear title, like titles "I need Help". This is annoying as people do not know what the topic is about. If you need lyrics put the song name and/or artist in the title. Try to make the titles obvious, so people know what the thread will contain.
Capital letters are not used in a correct way. It is extremely annoying when people type all in capitals. Firstly it is difficult to rude, and secondly it can make what you are saying, appear to be aggressive. Don't type like this unless you want to make it stand out. However it is advisable not to type in capitals when you are angry, as this can spark a fight. Similarly, do not TyPe EvErYtHiNg LiKe ThIs. It is almost impossible to read, especially to those who are not fluent in the English language!

Well there are the rules explained. Now for some general advice.
Ray: Everyone should know who ray is. He is the webmaster/almighty power which has created letssingit. He has his own nickname on the forum- Ray. You can message him to inform him of forumers who have broken the rules, although you can message forum moderators too. Try not to pester him with messages though! He has a lot of work to do and gets many messages so think before you send! Sometimes a forum moderator will be able to answer your questions. If not, they're the ones who can get in touch with Ray.
Lsi: Lsi is the shortened version of the word LetsSingIt
Slang: Please do not use slang or 'text talk' on the forum. This is quite inconsiderate of others as many find it hard to understand. Although the site is in English, bear in mind that the forum is full of different cultures, races, nationalities etc and not everyone speaks fluent English.
Fitting in: We were all new to the forum once upon a time! I for one have changed a lot since I joined. I learnt not to use slang and to respect others. So if you perhaps use slang or annoy people without intending to, then just take heed of their advice, and they will be willing to give you a 2nd chance.
general advice: Limit the amount of smileys you use in a post as this can take a long time to load and can also be a liottle too much on the eyes!
Once you have clicked 'submit' to post, DO NOT click it again!! Double posting is very annoying!

Song Discussions
Often the Active Topics are flooded with discussions. There's no problem with this, except the majority of these threads just say "I hate this song" or "This song is great." That's not a discussion, how could anyone reply to that? People will like you a lot more if you actually add something about the song for people to discuss

Privileges.
As a member, you receive certain 'privileges' these are:
Being able to bookmark lyrics- my lyrics
Being able to save contacts (members of the forum) - my contacts
Being able to send other forumers messages- my messages
Being able to add and manage website links- my links
Being able to create a page about yourself- my page
Being able to review songs- review songs

Bumping Threads
There is NO POINT in bumping a thread that it a few months old. If it's not been posted in for no long, it's because the thread has in effect 'died' and become uninteresting. If you want to add a really interesting comment, do. But think if what you say is worth bringing back the thread for. Don't just say "I agree" for example!

Sticky topics.
There are a few sticky topics in most categories. These are the threads widely and commonly used. For example randomness is the answer seems to be quite a popular one at the moment! These threads are unique and should not be replicated!

Respect.
I have noticed the increasing lack of respect in the forum recently. Firstly the number of fights has risen significantly, due to this. And it needs to be prevented.
The first thing you need to remember is that you don't know how things are being said. They may be sarcastic or a joke. So don't be quick to jump to conclusions! If somebody does make a comment which upsets you, don't retaliate IN THIS WAY . Try and sort out your differences civilly! If somebody offends you in a way which breaks the rules and continues to do so then talk to a forum moderator. Remember if you are discussing religion or religion related topics e.g abortion, people are bound to say things which you do not agree with, so start debates do not start a fight!
Remember all forumers will respect you if you respect them. If you do not respect others you will be liked less! This is not a good way to make friends!!
Similarly, if somebody else lacks respect for you they are also in the wrong. Do night fight, just message them politely and try to prevent further trouble. If this persists, message a forum moderator.

Common Courtesy.
If somebody asks you politely to stop doing something e.g swearing, then have respect and do so. If a forum moderator tells you then you should definitely stop and apologise.

Some good threads to start in.
First of all you can create a thread introducing yourself. Go to categories and click 'hi im new' then in the top right corner 'start topic' Choose a name for your thread- maybe 'Hi I am Sophie' or something like that. Then type a bit about yourself. Make it interesting so people will reply! This is a good way to make friends, rather than making a thread called 'hi' and typing 'hi im new, wanna chat'. Use this thread to meet new people, there is no need to create more.
Here are some threads I use/are popular
Randomness Is The Answer
The Happy Clover (temporary)
I'm bored- someone online?
Well that's about it....I think!

Any questions just post here! Hope I could be of help
For other information you may wish to read Netiquette.
If you are not sure about things or have queries, you can message a forum moderator. They will be sure to help you out!

And when you post posts, make good use of the 'offtopic' function. If you want to say a quick hi to someone who's just posted, use the offtopic button. If you want to add anything, that isn't to do with the thread, use the offtopic function. This isn't a rule, but it's very curteous and makes threads a lot easier to read! To post something in offtopic, press the offtopic button, type what you want to be offtopic, then press the offtopic button again!
51 to 75 of 325 comments
page 3 of 13
IrishMeg1
IrishMeg1 | 08-07-2004 19:51
haha no, its true how could anyone not miss u? if they dont then i have something to give them *punches hand into fist* a knuckle-sandwich! haha (i havent said that in ages)
oOoo things have been well, yes i did move and im getting use to the area still, heh but its only been a week and 2 days so of course and my bday did pass, it was okay not the greatest but oh well

IM SORRY EMI, for us hijacking ur thread!
lil_minty
lil_minty | 08-07-2004 20:00
you are forgiven! although you should be setting a good example for teh new forumers! tut tut i am ASHAMED
*dissaproving look*
LPE
LPE | 08-07-2004 20:04
Aw thanks Shira thats dead sweet.

Meg, I prefer tuna sandwichs...but I'm sure knuckles are nice to *ahem* and we're sorry Ems...really truely...
IrishMeg1
IrishMeg1 | 08-07-2004 20:08
Dont be sad, get Glad
~-(at your local grocery store)-~

mmm i like tuna sandwiches also! and I got some today but no no u won't get the knuckle sandwiches, the other rude people will
LPE
LPE | 08-07-2004 20:12
Lol...good...I'll help you give them out then! *runs off to get bread and butter*

Now we just need rude people!
IrishMeg1
IrishMeg1 | 08-07-2004 20:13
hmm yes.... where can we find some?
Princess_ceci
Princess_ceci | 09-07-2004 03:00
well done on this one mate ive only been here for about a month or sumthing and i only just heard about this thing today i read it all good work
Katka36
Katka36 | 09-07-2004 06:59
okay i like this tread so i post here... cos i want it to be in the active topics!!
waleed666
waleed666 | 10-07-2004 19:27
lil minty THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

LPE
LPE | 12-07-2004 19:28
I'll bump this up for Katka since she likes it in Active.

I_Am_Da_Shiznit
I_Am_Da_Shiznit | 13-07-2004 08:29
*bump*

I noticed about 4 people who joined in the last 10 minutes.
danastasia
danastasia | 13-07-2004 11:25
NB The topic's sticky, so it won't need bumping up News Headlines. Keep on linking the topic to new people!
LPE
LPE | 13-07-2004 18:26
Oops...I forgot it was a sticky...but whys it in News Headlines? Should it not be in 'Hey I'm New' since that is where most new people go first in order to introduce themselves.

Just a thought.
the_locust
the_locust | 13-07-2004 18:29
Hey Danny...want to edit in a little part about bumping up threads from over a few months and how if your comment is not relevant then its stupid and also if the thread is over a 2 years old as quite a few are, there is little point in it. If you can do that it would be great since we seem to have a few really old threads in the active topics... thanks x
danastasia
danastasia | 13-07-2004 18:36
Haha you want me to write it lol I will do, gimme a min though!
danastasia
danastasia | 13-07-2004 18:40
Ok, done it!

And Kat, I was online when Emi posted this and she wanted to see if it will work. I'll speak to cheech soon and get it posted there too
rawkerNoNagal
rawkerNoNagal | 13-07-2004 18:43
I enjoy thread. RAY- put it on the front page!
the_locust
the_locust | 13-07-2004 18:44
haha....well...I would have..but yeah, why not give you the job, moderator.

And thanks.
lizz_is_awsum
lizz_is_awsum | 18-07-2004 20:20
this was a very good idea i'm sure it took you a long time to write but like some of you have already said, i HIGHLY doubt that all the newbies will read the whole thing. maybe if you sorta "revised" it and put "respect" first then maybe if they read that whole paragragh, they would read the rest.... and respect you!
Rebellion2000
Rebellion2000 | 24-07-2004 22:43
Im a newb and i read it
lil_minty
lil_minty | 25-07-2004 18:14
where did the 'bumping threads' part come form!!
Was it there before? i don't know, im so confused.
Anyway, well done Danny. Keep up the good work.
CaffeineCraze
CaffeineCraze | 27-07-2004 12:30
good work on this post!!!
i joined today and i'm quite lost
i thank you for your help but i think that most of it was very obvious....... well like i said well done
Fallen_Forever
Fallen_Forever | 29-07-2004 19:42
I joined awhile ago but just started using the forums and read the whole post minus a few sentences but thats usual for me. So thanks to whoever wrote it it was helpful.
Just hope i remember what it said Dont worry I will!
LaTiNaChICk210
LaTiNaChICk210 | 30-07-2004 03:41
hey im new and i have read the rules . Thanx
Cuculiza
Cuculiza | 01-08-2004 00:52
Hi everyone!. I'm new here. this site is fantasic. Hope I can meet nice ppl here
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: