LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

New way of dealing with artist name changes

Follow 6
Add topic
Search
Ray
Ray | 15-05-2018 18:38
It's not uncommon that artists change their names. On LetsSingIt the way to deal with such a name change was to change the name of the artist map. Then the old name got simply replaced with the new name everywhere.

Why a new method

I never was quite happy with this old method. Old material released under the old name was also changed. I prefer to use the new name only for new releases, old material should not get a name change. And that's possible now, nice.

How it works

When an artist changes its name, it's added as new artist. The map with the old name is linked to this new map. With this link all content of the old map appears in the new map as if it belongs to the new map.

Example

The album "The Saga Continues ..." was released by "P. Diddy" as he called himself back in 2001 at the time of the album release.

Currently he calls himself Puff Daddy. The map of with former name "P. Diddy" is linked to the "Puff Daddy". The result is that the album "The Saga Continues ..." is listed in the "Puff Daddy" map.

Request link

There is no contribute-tool yet available to create links. For the moment you can use this thread to request links. I'll process them by hand. Please include in your request:

1) the name and url of the current name
2) the name and url of the former name that need to be linked to the current name

1 to 25 of 166 comments
page 1 of 7
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 15-05-2018 19:26
Neat! This is something I feel is necessary and will make things massively more convenient. Though the whole "searchable alias" makes it easy to search for artists with multiple names, this will improve clarity, especially if someone isn't aware that an artist changed their name and is searching for one of their older songs.

Anyway, I have a couple questions about this thread before I start going crazy

1) In essence, instead of removing duplicate artists ourselves, you want us to post them here now? For instance, recently I mentioned cleaning up and merging three separate artist maps for the same artist: Nicole Wray, Nicole Ray and Lady Wray - all of which have their content under Nicole Wray now. In cases like these only, you now want us to post the other maps here, correct?

2) And what about already-existing artists with searchable aliases? Furthermore, do you want us to post new aliases here now instead of the "Rename this artist please" thread? I see that in the Puff Daddy example, there's a new "Also known as" section of aliases. If this is how we're doing things, then we should probably convert all of the searchable aliases into this form.

3) When do you estimate the contribute links for these will be available?

4) Finally, this should probably be stickied on this board if it's going to be a thread similar to the "rename" and "remove" artists threads, at least until this gets a site-wide implementation.
brokenziinhu
brokenziinhu | 15-05-2018 23:38
Bei Maejor => Maejor Ali => Maejor
Nice!
I loved
Bigjayce
Bigjayce | 17-05-2018 14:44
Excellent addition
Ray
Ray | 18-05-2018 13:09
... you want us to post them here now?

Yes please

... I mentioned cleaning up and merging three separate artist maps for the same artist: Nicole Wray, Nicole Ray and Lady Wray ...

I noticed, and this was actually my trigger to implement this feature into the site.

... In cases like these only, you now want us to post the other maps here, correct?

Yes, post in here which of the stage names "Nicole Wray", "Nicole Ray" and "Lady Wray" is the current stage name and which ones are the former names. But you already made it clear for this artist, so I already understand, so I'll create links.

And what about already-existing artists with searchable aliases?

This other alias tool (I hope things don't get complicated now ) is indeed also a feature that I manage. This other alias tool does not longer contains former stage names, but now only different searchable writings of the artist name that are too complicated to recognize by the search engine. Think of abbreviations and pseudonyms. So not all of the searchable aliases are former names.

When do you estimate the contribute links for these will be available

For the moment I'll do this by hand. I would like to see this new feature is used on the site first.

... this should probably be stickied ...

Roger that

Bei Maejor => Maejor Ali => Maejor

Links created
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-05-2018 14:19
Thanks very much for clearing these things up

Initially, I was going to bring over all of the posts I made in the "Rename artist please" thread where I mentioned artists that used other names previously. But, I figure you're already working on adapting this new system for those, right? I don't want to be redundant and post them again here, so let me know. I just figure I can help with the specifics (what albums need to be re-credited, etc.).

Until that's clarified, I'll mention a couple notable examples I can think of, just to see these changes in action and make sure I'm requesting these right.

- For Nicole Wray, please add just "Nicole" as another alias. She used this name for her debut album. Also, this album is under Lady Wray. So, all of the respective songs on those albums (and the albums themselves) can be changed to that artist name.

- AJJ previously used the name Andrew Jackson Jihad. All of their releases, except for this album and this song, should be under Andrew Jackson Jihad.

- Death From Above previously used the name Death from Above 1979. All releases except this album should be under Death from Above 1979.

- The Sonic Dawn previously used the name The Mind Flowers. No albums used that name, and they reissued the one single they released under that name under The Sonic Dawn, so no actual songs/albums need to be changed. They just need it in the "also known as" section.

- Please merge Melanie B.'s content with Mel B's and delete the former map. Also, add Melanie B (without the dot) and Melanie Brown as aliases for Mel B. She used Melanie B on this album and Melanie Brown on this album.

Let me know if I'm doing this right and I'll dump some more here
Ray
Ray | 23-05-2018 13:02
Nice work on the list!

You can already put the artist maps in place and put content under the correct name. I only link artist maps together, I don't need to know what content belongs to what artist. If you name two artist maps, the current and the former name I link them together.

Note that I use "alias" for names that are related to the artist, but were actually never used on a song or album. "Former names" (this new feature) on the other hand are used on songs and albums. These former names appear on the artist profiles as "also known as". I do think this "alias" / "former name" need some more adjustments to make it more simple. Working on that

About the list. I added the missing artist maps and linked them to the current name- maps. Two exceptions:

- Nicole Wray: what map of "Nicole" should I link to Nicole Wray? I see multiple maps with this name.

- Mel B: Which one is the "current"? Which ones are former names? And which ones are aliases?

Thanks!
robinsvy
robinsvy | 03-06-2018 06:37
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 03-06-2018 08:47
I find S Club Juniors (S Club 8) and S Club 8. This is the same band.
Ray
Ray | 04-09-2018 11:07
requests updated, thanks guys!
svaraej
svaraej | 05-09-2018 12:54
Hi!

I've experienced two problems (features^^) with this method of artist linking.

When adding a new album, tracks marked "Add this track as new song" will be added with the new artist name as the main artist. Regardless of whether the album artist is set to the old artist name or not. This probably applies to when editing existing albums as well, but I haven't tested that.

At the moment I have to add all tracks separately before adding the track list and linking them with the album.

Albums released under the old name doesn't show in the album list on the artist page.

Example: Looptroop is the old name of Looptroop Rockers and subsequently relinks to the new artist. When viewing the artist overview page or the lyrics list page, the link to the albums list page reads "Albums (6)" and the "Most Popular Albums" list shows six albums. But upon viewing the album list page, the list only displays five albums and the link to the albums list page has dropped to "Albums (5)", and the lyrics list link has dropped from "Lyrics (97)" to "Lyrics (89)".

The album missing is Looptroop - Punx Not Dead [1998], an album that I added after the old and new artist names were linked. Eight of the tracks on the album weren't in the database before the artist linking and they add up to the drop in the lyrics list link (97-8=89).

Currently I have two album transfer requests and a bunch of song transfer requests in the public review queue, all transferring from the new name to the old name. So the numbers in this post might have changed when you read this.

Best regards,
svaraej
robinsvy
robinsvy | 06-09-2018 06:14
More glitches - Oh, boy!

In the 1) O'Neill Hudson / 2) Paris Carney merged map O'Neill Hudson , I added 3 newly found old songs of Paris Carney and upon saving them they do not show in the merged map, but do come up in search
Paris Carney - Hole In My Soul
Paris Carney - Battles Of You
Paris Carney - I Cover the Waterfront

Also, when I added the lyrics to an already added Paris Carney song the "submit lyrics' yellow button did not go away.
Paris Carney - Let Me In Again
robinsvy
robinsvy | 17-09-2018 04:59
goretski
goretski | 17-09-2018 16:50
I think you are onto something here
brokenziinhu
brokenziinhu | 20-09-2018 00:15
Ray
Ray | 30-10-2018 14:21
svaraej, about your problems:

When adding a new album, tracks marked "Add this track as new song" will be added with the new artist name as the main artist.

What was exactly the artist you selected to add the album to? I think you tried to add it under "Looptroop Rockers", while you actually should add it under "Looptroop". Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Albums released under the old name doesn't show in the album list on the artist page.

This looks like a caching issue on LSI side. Technically everythings works fine, but you're only not seeing the latest version of a page for some reason. The page you referred to has been refreshed in the meantime, the numbers look fine now. So cache is not refreshing when modifications are made on the "also-know-as" artist name. I'll put this on my list.

Since this is a problem, please create a new topic in the support section next time. Then it's faster on my radar
Ray
Ray | 30-10-2018 14:27
More glitches - Oh, boy!

Same caching issue as I described in my previous post

And about the "submit lyrics" yellow button that didn't go away, there is a small delay in communication between the review system and the content system. That means you may see the yellow button still there up to perhaps 30 seconds after you submitted content.
Ray
Ray | 30-10-2018 14:36
I updated the listed artists, nice work guys
svaraej
svaraej | 02-11-2018 14:42
Ray:

What was exactly the artist you selected to add the album to? I think you tried to add it under "Looptroop Rockers", while you actually should add it under "Looptroop". Let me know if that fixes the issue.

If believe that I actually selected "Looptroop" and not "Looptroop Rockers" in the first part of the process of creating an album. I could be wrong, so I will take screen shots next time!

This looks like a caching issue on LSI side. Technically everythings works fine, but you're only not seeing the latest version of a page for some reason. The page you referred to has been refreshed in the meantime, the numbers look fine now. So cache is not refreshing when modifications are made on the "also-know-as" artist name. I'll put this on my list.

Since this is a problem, please create a new topic in the support section next time. Then it's faster on my radar

Ok, thank you! Will do!
brokenziinhu
brokenziinhu | 26-11-2018 09:49
brokenziinhu
brokenziinhu | 28-11-2018 23:36
brokenziinhu
Ray
Ray | 17-01-2019 15:14
Please don't forget to mention which one on the names is the "current" and which one the "former" as:

1) the name and url of the current name
2) the name and url of the former name that need to be linked to the current name

For the last given names I don't know which is the current and former name.
brokenziinhu
brokenziinhu | 17-01-2019 15:28
Cheryl (current)
Cheryl Cole (former)
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: