en

duplicate songs that aren't.?

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
music_junkie
music_junkie | 31-03-2018 12:29
hi all, looking for guidance {and a place to vent!}

IMO. if an artist releases a title on an album, then later records that song with another artist, hence 2 separate songs, but title is same. i feel these are 2 unique tracks and should be treated as such.

however LSI editing fails on save, if editing lyrics for example, i get error message about duplicate titles yadda yadda...

but though the titles are identical, the artist is not since one is FT another artist. in the past i may have tweaked the song title to create unique identifiers, but upon trying this today, i get another error message saying the song is verified and so title can't be changed...

wth..?
anyone have a workaround or other suggestions?

am i the only one being frustrated by this restriction??

thanks muchly.. and Happy Candy Day
13 comments
roxcyn
roxcyn | 31-03-2018 13:12
Yes, and I'd like to know if the artist releases different versions of the same song. I'm not sure what to do with those.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 31-03-2018 14:44
right. as it is now, we cant edit lyrics or add/correct album details or video because lsi treats it like a duplicate, but its been said by Ray we want these additional versions of songs added when theres remixes or duets or featured artists, but now we dont have edit abilities with the current functionality of the site.

maybe Ray can fix the code when saving edits, add exceptions si even if the title is a dup, if theres a featured artist or a remixed by then it shouldn't be treated as duplicate.

but i also don't understand the error when editing the title because song is verified.. anyone know what that means? is it maybe just coming up because of this duplicates situation?
roxcyn
roxcyn | 31-03-2018 20:44
Yes, it's warning of a duplicate song.
Ray
Ray | 06-05-2018 15:21
i feel these are 2 unique tracks and should be treated as such

correct

however LSI editing fails on save

Humm, weird. You should only get a "duplicate" error when not only the title is exactly the same, but also the list of artists (main and additional artists). You can add song with exactly the same title as long as the attachted artists differ. If it doesn't work like that then I think I need to fix something

error message saying the song is verified

Read about that here.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 07-05-2018 11:26
But what if the artist releases the same song on different albums? It happens a lot where they're re-released (same song), but different recordings. If we make a duplicate entry, LSI'S system won't approve it. How do we proceed?
music_junkie
music_junkie | 09-05-2018 18:08
excellent point about dup titles/different albums.

dups should be matched on at least 3 points-
titles
artists
album name

or failing album name perhaps release date...?
music_junkie
music_junkie | 09-05-2018 18:11
and yeah sorry Ray but seems something is glitchy (or was when i posted this thread.. unsure if its still an issue now).. maybe some newer code overrode that dup checker code?
- - happens to me often!

but also i was getting 2 different errors one for duplicate and (when trying to edit title) one for verified. so it seems like the dup checker was the erroneous error.. haha
Ray
Ray | 09-05-2018 18:51
what if the artist releases the same song on different albums

Songs must always have something that distincts them from another song with the same title. It would be weird to have two songs with the exact same title and set of artists. When these songs are presented in a list, you won't see the difference and that would be confusing to the visitors.

If the artists are the same for both songs, you can add something in the title to distinct the songs. Leave the title of the oldest/original song unchanged and add something to be second, like "[2018]" / "[Album name Version]" / "[Re-release]" / ... . Adding the album as condition, interesting idea, but more complicated.

something is glitchy

You should be able to add songs with the same title if the additional artists differ. If this is not the case, I need examples. So if you guys can give me an example of the problem, I can see what goes wrong.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 10-05-2018 01:22
sorry i didn't mention the particular track i was editing at the time I opened this thread, will post examples if i come across in the future.

maybe to clarify for some discussion here, re: duplicates appearing on several albums, there are different circumstances.

scenario 1 is the same title/artist appears both on their own album, then maybe on a movie soundtrack, for example. if there's no variation in artist or lyrics, i view the SONG is a single title appearing in the artist library on multiple albums, so i dont (prefer to) add that song twice; i just link the 2nd album's song to the original song mapping. same for re-releases by same artist - assuming nothing is different - same lyrics, artist etc. is it really doing lsi data justice to show 3 re-released versions if they are identical in every other way except album?

scenario 2 is the artist releases a revised version, be it a duet, featured artist, remix etc. ie, some changes made from original version, in that case a 2nd title should appear.

scenario 3 is fuzzy to me.. we have alot of live performances or misc. uses of songs, so we end up with way too many versions of the same songs sometimes. i can understand adding a live version if theres an actual live single or album release, but a touring artist performs the same song hundreds of times, and bootlegs are rampant everywhere.. plus tv & radio promos.. so where do we draw the line??

i also often wish we could link multiple videos to a given song. there are legitimate versions of a same song, sometimes all official versions some lyrics dubbed, some live etc.. but same artist /lyrics. it seems like part of why we see so many dups is the # videos being published... no doubt thats another thread topic but thought it related to this discussion too maybe a future site enhancement?
music_junkie
music_junkie | 10-05-2018 01:29
ps one more clarification for Ray.. my glitch was trying to modify EXISTING DUPs titles, not adding new 2nd title. used to be allowed to change a title to make it unique, but when i created this thread it was because i was getting errors saving changes to one of 2 same titled songs under same artist, so it wouldn't let me make them unique titles. i know an example would be valuable in clarifying so if i find one I'll link it.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 10-05-2018 01:32
Ray- i dont see the add label feature you described anymore. i did see it once a long time ago but it went away...?
music_junkie
music_junkie | 10-05-2018 12:37
ok let me correct my comment on not seeing the add label feature, i have it but get access/permission denied message when using it
Ray
Ray | 23-05-2018 13:44
my glitch was trying to modify EXISTING DUPs titles

Yes, then you step on the dup-checker that throws the error message.

there are different circumstances

Thumbs up on the clear descriptions here

Scenario 1: If a song re-appears on a new album, you can link the existing song if it's the same version. The track name on the album reveils the version. If this track name does not provide any version details, then consider it to be the same as the existing song already listed on the site and link this song to the album.

Scenario 2: Correct. If new artists appear on the song or it has clearly mentioned in the song title this is a different version, you can add this one as a new song and use this new song to link it to the album.

Scenario 3: This is indeed a fuzzy one. There is no stricky rule. Keep in mind people search on a specific version of a song. I want LSI to match that song. Again, we speak about different versions. So the question still is, what defines a "different version". I already explained this above. And yes, we may end up with way many versions of the same songs. I've not seen this getting out of control. But there is always a first time

access/permission denied message when using it

See thsi thread.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: