LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en
Follow 2
Add topic
Search
roxcyn
roxcyn | 07-08-2016 08:30
Is it possible for us to put a signature at then end of each of our posts? Many forums let you do that. If that's not an option, could we have a place we could put a maxim or whatnot by our avatar? Thank you!
18 comments
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 07-08-2016 08:52
Scott: I don't think that would be necessary.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 08-08-2016 02:56
What about under or above our avatars, what do you think about that?
robdog2008
robdog2008 | 11-08-2016 16:55
it would be nice, but all is up to the owner of the site
and rules would definitely have to be set in what would be allowed
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 11-08-2016 17:02
I'm all for signatures, Allow them to be animated or whatever and let people go to town. I for once will choose a signature based on my username.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 12-08-2016 00:39
Nice to hear from other members. I'm not talking about animated, just text, color and one emoticon.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-08-2016 14:00
Well I've not weighed in about the signature aspect (I tend to not ever choose one so if it were available I'd have blank for a long time deciding what is a good ending for every post....remember! The signature if it says something sappy...like

"Have a Great and Glorious Wonderful Day!!!! "

......for example...and I was just commenting condolences or writing in the "In Memorium" post...I'd have to make sure I go through whatever extra step is needed to turn that off for that one post----you see...signatures don't always match what you are typing I find!

How about this suggestion (in addition, or instead)

This is a music site (lyrics and otherwise)....

Can't we have a button by our "Avatar" that whenever pressed plays a short...MP3 tune? Sort of like "our own song?"

That can be ok to leave running no matter what the message as it would not appear in the posting at the conclusion of every message, no matter what the subject of the message...

What do you think?

* offtopic :
I think its related to "signature" so do I have to make a separate post?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 12-08-2016 14:14
I can almost guarantee no one would say "have a great and glorious wonderful day."

Just seems like an irrelevant feature.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-08-2016 14:49
* offtopic :
If Ray has any interest in doing this ^ I have three different design/locations for the "MP3 play music button" that would not interfere with the current page/Forum/postings design so I can draw and post them if interested.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-08-2016 15:32
I can almost guarantee no one would say "have a great and glorious wonderful day."

Then that perfectly explains why with all the BBs and Forums I've posted in over the years that offer "signatures" to members... I've never managed to find the perfect thing to say!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 13-08-2016 01:07
I'm not sure about the music, PP, but you're exactly right, I love the forums that offer a maxim under the avatar and signature. Usually, I use a quote from a song as the signature and something witty for the maxim.
Ray
Ray | 06-09-2016 10:29
I'm not a fan of signatures, I'm actually alergic to these Readability of content is my first priority. Anything that distract me from reading the content goes in the toilet.

Sorry guys
roxcyn
roxcyn | 07-09-2016 00:29
Thank you for replying. I understand.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 07-09-2016 10:16
I'm not a fan of signatures, I'm actually alergic to these Readability of content is my first priority. Anything that distract me from reading the content goes in the toilet.

Oh yes Ray! Total agreement there with you!

I'll write a bit more as this is one place I can still write away with opinion/advice and nothing bad happens to me!

I know a site just like you're talking about Ray----I use it (don't look for "Practice" I'm not me there.....)
It has an over-abundance of signatures/tags/awards/quotes that everyone can use!

So its really annoying when someone write one word answers like "yes" or "no" to a question and you have paragraph sized very color-intense, graphic photos and writings and etc on the site for each and every post they do!
(I'm signed in automatically, I hope you can see this without signing in, else I'll have to post a photo---so I'll post photos for everyone to see what I'm talking about)

On the positive side of the discussion, for Ray and his very clean, clever design of LSI. It reminds me of Steve Job's designs for Apple pages and screens......

Wondering if Ray just uses or likes Mac computers for their design elements and has taken them as inspiration for these web pages?

So without bothering the overall design, now that we see how "bad" the idea of giving everyone so much control of their web presence/signature can do----maybe a little crack might be opened for those who want to put an individual stamp on every post they do (remember everyone! A signature means that every single post is now expanded and takes up more room and space "forever" with the addition of these elements)

Just taking those bad/overcrowded web pages examples I put up in the link and looking ONLY at the area below the "member name" there is potentially room in the LSI site for a "nick name". (see and refer to photo titled 2a red arrow pointing to "nick name" area).

Just suggesting to Ray, if that area were expanded to "two short lines" and you (Ray) can decree that the message/nickname/quote in that spot be limited to 20? or 25? characters long maximum----we now can have room to write a nick name, instead of our member name, or a short short quote like "more power to ya!" or "Lets Sing our Hearts out!" (=24 characters long) in regular, not fancy typeface.

I think that way most people are satisfied with "something" extra---and it doesn't detract from the design of the Forum or other parts of the site as it is not technically a signature that takes up room "within" the message, but is associated with the avatar/member name/number of posts area of the web page. This is not opening the door to having huge numbers of objects all over the page, or having lots of colorful symbols that don't mean anything but to the members of the page all filling up space below one's avatar, but its a nice simple addition.

(Best of all I think its just a simple line insert in programming---either the line is used or its "blank" and that doesn't effect or change the size of the rest of the page or someone's post if they choose not to use that space----saves on data storage for those who choose to leave it blank, again something technical for Ray to think about.)

As for myself--after I botched up my member name--I'd probably use that newly created writing spot to write the membership name I originally wanted to have, but didn't know there was a character limit before it was permanently entered: "practice, practice, practice" see? I can have a longer member name now! Easy! Simple! and hopefully Fun!!

and as Ray himself said above:

Anything that distract me from reading the content goes in the toilet.

Having this "additional quote/nickname" space does not in any way detract from reading someone's post! You don't have to keep skipping with your eyes over repetitive "signatures" at the bottom of everyone's post, and its off to the "left side" below the avatar----so its there for someone to read and associate with the member's identity and personality and can be altered like the avatar photo to suit the mood of the member that day---but I like that spot as it keeps it as Ray noted, from "distract[ing] me from reading the content"

Sorry for long explanation, but since I saw that quote I knew this was the time to show that other website to everyone and say that is TOO MUCH! But we can steal/borrow/take the idea of the simple type "nick name" area and that should not bother anyone's reading of the more important Forum postings at all (and by the way, just thinking, it will not effect the older postings at all, as its just like someone changes their avatar and I notice it changes their avatar no matter how far in the past (even 12 years!) I go back over LSI postings! This is the same way---it will be blank (and compressed!) in the past for those who never did it, but moving forward it is a line for extra personalization of their Avatar section of the post and site itself.

[I know! Ray gave us each the ability to write a "comment" or "phrase" below each of our uploaded photos or avatars----but in order to read that hidden---way way hidden comment I have to go to the member's profile page and summon up the pictures section and then I still have to request that the photos are displayed in that larger block style---one photo on a pop up screen---I don't know what to call it Ray knows what it is, with the forward and reverse arrows at the top corners to show the next picture in the uploaded series of picutres under that member's profile page..... and then! only then, do we get to read the phrase the member has written as a comment under the photo! Well that is a lot of effort and if you have many pictures, this gives members the ability to display one of those "sayings" or "comments" ---in a very very short form---below their avatar photo that they have chosen to use that day for their postings!

Thanks for reading long post everyone!

* offtopic :
Oh and as I posted in photo 2b above, how about a "#8" for numbering the posts so we can refer to something that occurred earlier, even a year ago by number of the post? You already list on each of the "big" forums that these are posts in Randomness thread:
"1,345 comments, showing 1,301 to 1,325"
---so something is automatically generating and counting the posts! Why not have same system automatically label each of those posts with that number for easy location now and in the future?
roxcyn
roxcyn | 09-09-2016 01:13
Excellent idea, PP.
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 09-09-2016 06:27
rockon
tabitha
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 09-09-2016 07:57
Hahaha I was waiting for someone to mention that.
Ray
Ray | 09-09-2016 23:02
Nice post Practice

I have to ruin the party again. Notice the new comment layout on member profiles. That one will soon be the new universal (for any device) layout for comments on LSI. That includes the forum. So any ideas for signatures or alternatives, must be based on that layout.

Thanks for the very clean, clever design of LSI. I don't get inspired by something in particular. I like things being clean and organized. Everywhere actually. So you know how my desk looks like. Design is everywhere, not only on the internet, I think it's fascinating. Well, maybe I just have too many allergies and am I alway trying to find that particular layout I can live with. Comparing it to Steve Jobs sounds better though.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 11-09-2016 06:25
I forgot about that signature Tabitha wrote.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: