LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

My 15,000th Post, A Reflection

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
JDolla
JDolla | 21-02-2016 17:18
This is a special post for me, my 15,000th. All of you who know me know that I don't give a damn about post counts and the "milestones" that come with them, but upon some deep reflection, this one means quite a bit to me.

The first and most trivial is that crossing the 15k mark puts me in the Hall of Fame for all-time posts, which is kinda cool i guess. Some of the user names on that list are people that I've enjoyed talking to over the years, looked up to, and had the privilege of knowing. Having my little name on that list among some of the greats, at the bottom though it may be, means something to me.

More importantly, looking back on all of it, I find it amazing that after 8 and a half years, I'm still here. My life has changed substantially over the better part of the decade that I've been a member. I went to, dropped out of, returned to and graduated college, gained and lost friends, gained and lost family, had 6 different jobs, bought a house, and tons of smaller but still significant things in my time here. I've had some wonderful times and some terrible times. But no matter what, save for a few months here and there, I've been active on this site.

It's been one of the few constants in my life, a place where I could go and share joys as well as sorrows, vent frustrations, have deep and meaningful discussions, argue for no damn reason, or just kinda sit back and crack jokes. Its been a place where even when things in my life have been terrifying, I've always felt safe. A place where even if it seemed like everyone in my life had shut me out, I was always welcome.

I also can't help but acknowledge how much of an impact the forum regulars have had on my life. I've been given guidance, support, encouragement, discouragement when necessary, and genuine friendship from so many of you that are here today and so many that were here before. There have been conversations and individuals here that have literally saved my life, whether you or I knew it at the time or not. I would hope over the years that my gratitude for those things has been apparent, but if it hasn't I want you guys to know how much it's meant to me over the years.

As much as all of you have had a little window into my life, I've had one into yours. I've sat at the computer or on my phone eagerly awaiting the news of births, results of job interviews, and all the other good news that's been passed on over the years. I've taken joy from your triumphs and felt sorrow for your losses. I've watched some of you kind of grow into real-ass adulthood right alongside me, and its something I wouldn't trade for the world.

If you had told me 10 years ago that I'd count 10-15 strangers from the internet among my closest friends, I'd have told you you were crazy. If you told me now that in 5 years I wouldn't I'd be devistated.

It blows my mind that 15000 posts have had such a profound impact on me, but when I consider the wonderful folks those posts have been directed to, responding to, and connecting with, It really shouldn't be that big of a surprise. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for what you've given me over the years, and I can only hope that I've been able to give back at least a fraction of the support, kindness, and love that I've been shown.

So here's hoping for another 8 years and 15000 posts with you crazy people. It's been a hell of a ride so far, can't wait to see what the future brings to us all.
9 comments
Joeyy
Joeyy | 21-02-2016 17:50
tl; dr
Joeyy
Joeyy | 21-02-2016 17:53
Now that that's out of the way, That's a really lovely, touching post, Jerbear. I'm so glad you're still here, both in the world and in our small community. I think I can speak for everyone when I say your latest and possibly longest absence was really felt. For me personally, although we sometimes might seem like quite different people in how we live/who we are, you're one of my favourites. I know if ever I need to vent about something, as I have in the past, or just share something that's weighing on my mind/heart, I can trust you with it. You're not only one of the funniest people I've had the pleasure of speaking to, online or of; you're also one of the nicest. I hope you're around for a long time to come.

Edit: And throwback to a conversation we had in plug before you left - I'd happily come and be your fake wife.
fishmunky
fishmunky | 21-02-2016 18:44
Jer, you are a good and sweet boy and I'm glad you came back. You're a treasure here.
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 22-02-2016 04:35
I'm glad you're still with us J-Rizzle. This place wasn't the same without you.
CarlJ
CarlJ | 22-02-2016 14:16
Great post...glad you are back.....not the same without ya chiming in.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 22-02-2016 16:37
I know you can't stand me but you definitely do leave a huge impact on this site. I'm glad you made a comeback, your posts crack me up. You're a good dude and I hope you're doing well with yourself.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 22-02-2016 16:46
I had to look up tl; dr, I thought it was a typo post. Anyway, I don't know what to say, you've been gone for like half a year? I know you came back because of me. You didn't mention it in your post, but I know. I don't really know what to say, that was touching up there. I also feel like most of you here are closer friends to me than anyone in my real life. I'm glad someone else feels the same. It's good to have you back XJ.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 22-02-2016 22:52
As one of our core buddies here, Jeremy, when one is missing they leave a hole. Life feels more balanced with you back. I know my friendships with the people here have lasted longer that most of my in person ones have. And I've met you in person, so I know that you are great and fun to be around!
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 22-02-2016 23:01
Glad you're back - the forum has been much more lively. If you get to another 15K I will murder you. There's no better indicator that you wasted your life and flushed it down the shitter than by amassing 15,000 more posts here. I expect you to do the same to me.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: