en

Bookmarking suggestion

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 21-08-2015 16:09
Hi everyone!

Joey suggested in her thread: Skip to [page number] that I should take this suggestion and make a separate thread for it.

Ray (reading the suggestion where I first posted it) suggested I provide some Photoshop or examples of how this would work for the Lets Sing It Site.

I have done both (thanks to Ray and Joey for their suggestions)

To keep the top header short I've placed my lengthy description in the first reply to this post.
3 comments
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 21-08-2015 16:21
Here is a quote from what I said before:

WHAT I would like (in addition to Joey's suggestion) is the ability to "bookmark" (in a different color perhaps?) the page button where I left off reading---or a page I'd like to return to again to re-read.

I include this in Joey's suggestion above, as its related in terms of what the computer needs to be programmed to do.

If a computer can "go to a page" it can be also "set" to indicate a certain page when the session begins (i.e. we turn on the computer/or sign in again to LSI--most pages return to the exact page we left off at -- so we know the data is preserved from session to session, even when a computer is off).

Here are some screen shots of "bookmarks" in other systems/web pages, etc.

Apple Community:

-----Not yet bookmarked

-----Bookmarked!

Apple Mail

See next posting below here for more!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 21-08-2015 16:45
More suggestions on this topic!

Here is how I would like the bookmark to appear for the Pages we are viewing (i.e. especially long ones like Randomness ) note the color of the box (Green and Pink for bookmarking two pages out of 179!) (Gold/Yellow still stands for the "current page")

Demonstration on Randomness pages

We can get fancy and let us choose what color to mark the box as for different reasons we bookmark things.... Blue can be some support item to be expanded into a support question... Red can be something urgent that should be replied to soon, but we are too busy at the moment to do so, but when we return to the computer it should be right there to reply to it first... Yellow can be a bookmark for FYI (These are colors I'd choose if I could make the choices.... but having each person choose their own colors would be nice---its easy--- very basic coding provides the color choice so its not difficult and can look at the different web pages sites here and Photoshoppped ones to see what I got for you...

Variation of the suggestion for Lyrics section:

Also, when going over an extensive large album collection of songs, or the top singles charts of where songs are, it would be nice to bookmark where we left off in playing/reading/scanning the charts, so its not a matter of memory where I'm at going down a list of songs on an album and I have to suspend/sleep the computer use and come back later.

As you suggested, I have Photoshopped how an additional column could be set aside on the page (there is so much room to the right, the text/images can be moved over to make the extra small space available for the bookmarking "column")

SCREENSHOT 1

This shows the top of the list with a bookmark symbol---and row left clear for adding in bookmarks (can be by one key stroke it is activated).

SCREENSHOT 2

This shows the true benefit of the bookmark, how I can scan down pages of lists and find the bookmark (red triangle looking object) very easily out of 77 or more different songs.

Again, just as I mentioned above, we can get fancy if the bookmark proves to be popular:

We can have color choices for the symbol to mean different things to each of us...

We can have what Hotmail/Outlook does in their Email , which is the ability to "collect" all the bookmarked items to a separate list (they post it at the top of the list of Emails, but you can do it anywhere you want to---I think a separate page would be less distracting, but then again, Microsoft/Hotmail/Outlook does what they want to and no one can advise them!

Email Flagging of Messages can be done as flagged or bookmarked pages
---

The advantages of this system is that this would allow us to "personalize" part of every page in LSI as we are reading/accessing it. Makes it a much easier to handle site considering there is so much material spread out over so many different pages of lyrics/songs/groups/charts . All have different meanings for those who come to use the site. I hope it can be done with very minor coding, just a simple addition to each page where the bookmark is "located" or expected to appear, and a corresponding link back to each person's own account/membership here so that only they see their own bookmarks!

Hope this helps everyone!

----

I wanted to post this long suggestion in public forum, for any feedback first to help Ray in case someone else would like to have BOTH the ability to read the current pages as well as keep track of where we left off reading several days ago. (And Joey's Go To Page suggestion as well). And to show what a future using bookmarks might look and feel like.

(Yes, {in answer to those who would have written to say they have the simple answer to my problem}---I do have a pen/pencil to mark down the page or song/album, I left off at or want to see again, but you should not need to do that if the computer can do it for you!)
Ray
Ray | 24-04-2016 14:45
hey

I think I haven't replied on this one. Thanks for the idea. It doesn't have my attention at the moment, but I'll put it on the list for future updates ideas
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: