en
Back to old website
Follow 1
Add topic
Search
juicy1
juicy1 | 12:38
Is your computer running slow?

Are you looking to buy a new computer but don't know what to look for?

Are you looking for people to game with?

Looking to buy a new phone?

Do you have a question about computers or the interwebs?

Ask here and I'll be glad to lend a hand in any way I can.

I'm a WiFi Engineer with experience in routers, switches, linux, windows, apple, PC troubleshooting, WAN and LAN troubleshoots, MySQL, SQL Workbench, DHCP, DNS, AD, Radius and of course WiFi.

26 to 50 of 387 comments
page 2 of 16
Captain_Keeta
Haha. Wow.
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:40
I was using the Windows Disk Management tool to wipe the drive, using the default settings to completely wipe the drive entirely. No errors ever come up.

I figured that when trying to install from a flash drive it would offer to create and format a new partition like it used to with disks, but I couldn't get it to actually boot from the flash.

Multiple SSD's in a RAID would be great, but alas my laptop only hold a single drive.
Captain_Keeta
If my computer ever gets slow, I go to start and type in "%temp%" and remove the files in there. Apparently, they're junk. Then I go to "prefetch" and do the same. It actually does work. haha
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:44
Jeff, try CCleaner. It's a tool which you can add to the context menu of the recycle bin and select all the areas to wipe when it runs.

Much quicker than manually searching, but it does do a pretty hardcore scrub of files and can take a while to run; but it doesn't take up many processes so you can use the computer like normal.

Unless Joe has a better option, try that in future.

Oh god, I just realised I don't even have an antivirus software running on my laptop... Since about a month ago, I think... Oh god, oh god, oh god!
Captain_Keeta
Haha I do use CCleaner.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16:45
Joe put things on mine... Am I meant to be using them regularly, Joe?
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:45
So why are you manually searching???
Just expand the options on CCleaner and let that dog sniff out the meat!
Captain_Keeta
I do that. haha

And no reason. haha
juicy1
juicy1 | 16:54
The higher the speed the better, the lower the response time the better. Joey, you have an excellent connection. Upload is generally lower for people because uploading is the least used. I would run them weekly Joey.

Jeff, your connection is also pretty good, the latency (ms) is slightly higher but you won't really feel it. If it's ever in the hundreds or thousands it means you have major issues. Computers slow down because of a few things; 1st being too many programs running. That doesn't mean programs you can see either. There are many programs that run in the background that you can't see. 2nd is disk space, once you use up 80% of your drive, the whole computer slows down. I would recommend running a weekly defrag and disk cleanup to keep the computer running smooth. 3rd being spyway/viruses.

Captain_Keeta
Yikes. Thanks for the information Joe.

So end any tasks that I don't need and that boost up the drive?
juicy1
juicy1 | 16:56
Ending tasks will only help if they are running. You can view the amount each process is using in the task manager.
Uninstalling programs when the harddrive is close to being full will also help.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 17:00
Thanks.

Oh yeah. I really need to start working on freeing up disk space again.
Captain_Keeta
Thanks Joe.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 17:53
This is a great thread! Thanks for the reminder about Malwarebytes, running a scan now.

My computer works 95% of the time, but every once in a while it gets really slow/frozen and always says "waiting for cache" in the bottom left corner. I think it could be a hard drive error because I've dropped my computer once or twice, so it's probably irreparable...any ideas?
juicy1
juicy1 | 17:58
How much memory does your PC have and how much is being used when you see this error? Right click on the time, choose task manager and then performance. This will tell you your current CPU and Memory load as well as what is free. Cache errors tend to be memory issues. How much RAM does your computer have? It may need a memory upgrade also.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18:26
I can't get my spy pen to work, Joe. I had to buy a mini memory card for it... Might it be that I bought the wrong one? I double-checked beforehand and couldn't see anywhere that said it doesn't accept a certain kind... Then again, I didn't fully understand the Specifications section.
juicy1
juicy1 | 19:19
What's the model number? What doesn't work specifically?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20:40
It. :| It only has one button I can press. It's supposed to function as the on/off button, holding it down, and then the taking photos or videos by clicking. I inserted the memory card, which I think I did correctly? It wouldn't fit the other way, so this way must be right. But when I hold down the button, nothing happens. A light is meant to come on to show it's on/in stand-by.
Captain_Keeta
Computer is getting faster! Woo!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20:42
I'll link you to the pen page soon.

I have another problem now. :| I'm in the middle of getting "direct links" from photographs uploaded to my PhotoBucket, and twice PhotoBucket has suddenly gone off and on to

http://update3.newsflashplayer.us/Player1/M/F/update-uk.php?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers&browser_type=KHTML&dualoffer=false

that link instead, which my computer tells me is harmful.

PhotoBucket's never done this before.
Captain_Keeta
Woah. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20:46
* offtopic :
Jeff, don't start posting one word posts in reply to everything here. I'm of the opinion that your many posts are fine as long as they're relevant to the threads and most have context, and enough of the other moderators agree for you not to be carded for spamming, but you are boarder-line sometimes.

Anyway, this is the link to the pen I have. Its features are on the Description part.
Captain_Keeta
Erm. Okay then. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20:50
And now it's not letting me on PhotoBucket at all. I go on and either Avast blocks it automatically, or it changes to that website automatically and Avast is blocking that. I'm not sure what's going on.
cutie_13
cutie_13 | 20:54
In agreement on this thread being great. Joe is the best to ask for technology related issues.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: