en
Back to old website
Follow 1
Add topic
Search
juicy1
juicy1 | 12:38
Is your computer running slow?

Are you looking to buy a new computer but don't know what to look for?

Are you looking for people to game with?

Looking to buy a new phone?

Do you have a question about computers or the interwebs?

Ask here and I'll be glad to lend a hand in any way I can.

I'm a WiFi Engineer with experience in routers, switches, linux, windows, apple, PC troubleshooting, WAN and LAN troubleshoots, MySQL, SQL Workbench, DHCP, DNS, AD, Radius and of course WiFi.

1 to 25 of 387 comments
page 1 of 16
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12:45
Awesome.

I am looking to buy a new phone...
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 12:55
I'd like to join on the helping side in any way I can, Joe. I'm an Information Systems student with a HNC Computing qualification in my belt, too!

I'm not going to be anywhere near as knowledgable, but I do have some pretty impressive google-fu!
juicy1
juicy1 | 13:31
Always good to have help! Feel free to assist any time!

Joey, what kind of phone do you have now? what are you looking for in a new phone? what do you use your phone for now?
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 14:15
What network are you currently on, Joey? Or are you okay from that aspect?
Captain_Keeta
Finally!
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 14:54
i love this thread. haha.
Captain_Keeta
Glad he finally made it.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 15:43
At the moment I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II (mini). Had it for two years and my contract is due up.

Cheesy, I'm on O2. Have been ever since my first phone about...twelve years ago. Call it loyalty or not wanting elsewhere to be worse (considering how long contracts often are these days). I also have a friend who works in an O2 store and she put a discount on for me, which has been great.

Essentially I want a phone at least as good as this, but without me having to pay so much each month. I know they exist because my sister and her boyfriend have had the next models up at half the price of mine, although they didn't pay insurance, which I do.

I know everyone says not to have insurance, but I am quite clumsy, plus I have muscle spams that sometimes result in me throwing what I'm holding. :\
Joeyy
Joeyy | 15:44
So, important features aside from the price are memory and the camera. I think you can never have enough good cameras on you.

No iPhones for me.

Also, whatever I get needs to be small enough for my pockets, so a small phone or another mini version, I guess.
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 15:55
In terms on insurance I use student contents insurance at £15 per month, but I can only get that for 1 more year.

I don't know much about phones which aren't iPhones, but my girlfriend and brother love their Samsung S4's. I'm not sure that the S5 is a worthy upgrade, so you should be able to get the S4 pretty cheap on a contract.

I was with O2 for a long time too, but I switched over to EE last year and I've not had a single issue with the network at all. No cut outs, no dropped calls, no OTT marketing sales calls, etc.

I don't know how much you're paying with O2 currently, but it's definitely worth shopping around anyway. Here's EE's pay monthly page: Linky.

I've not had any issues with 4G since it started up, either. O2's 4G isn't anywhere near as fast or stable as EE had it on for a year before O2.

From that page a £32.99 per month contract on double speed 4G gives 10GB data and Unlimited Calls and Texts (also in the EU, which is p.cool if you travel much, either way). The Samsung S4 is currently £79.99 with the plan.

Besides all of that, if you phone them up and say you're tempted to make the switch from O2 they might offer a further discount somewhere. Tell them you've been loyal to O2 for a long time and all that, see what they say.

Of course, if you're absolutely loyal to O2 and won't consider it, that's fair enough too, but don't forget about EE Wednesday giving 2 for 1 cinema tickets and such... Which if you or someone you know uses Cineworld Unlimited is really useful!
juicy1
juicy1 | 15:56
Hmm, I would recommend going with a Samsung Galaxy 4. It is a great phone with tons of memory and an excellent camera. It is approximately the same size as the note mini. You can get cases for the phone that are designed to withstand punishment.
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 15:58
Joe,

I don't know about you, but I have a set list of softwares that should always be installed on every system..

The two which presently come to mind are AVG Free Antivirus Software and CCleaner tool to help wipe unused files and such in the system.

Just though you might want to incorporate stuff like that in the opening post?
juicy1
juicy1 | 16:01
I would have to disagree with you on that. AVG is terrible in my experience and a nuisance to remove. Using Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes do the job for 99% of users.
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:01
And Joeyy, another thing to think about with EE is that they offer a shared plan where you can get an extra sim to use the same data as the mobile plan on a tablet, which if you wanted to keep the note or have a tablet with sim capability is really handy.
I'm not sure if other networks actually offer this, which is why I mention it.
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:07
That's fair enough. I've personally never had a problem with AVG, but I've never really tried anything else because of that.

I generally don't trust microsoft software, and I don't really know why. (I say, as a loud and proud Windows 8.1 user)

Actually, speaking of Windows 8.1.. It's a real pain to try and create a restore flash drive from it. I hate that they don't give those out with systems anymore. Do you have any advice on it? When I tried I used the tool that lets you create a restore flash drive, but it doesn't work when using a new blank drive...

I want to eventually get an SSD in my laptop, but don't want a straight copy of the hard drive moved onto it, and would prefer to be able to boot a fresh copy entirely with the recovery partition kept on a separate flash drive.
Captain_Keeta
Here's a question for you Joe:

Whenever I try to watch YouTube videos in 720 HD, they always lag. I've tried updating and changing flash programs. Any ideas?
juicy1
juicy1 | 16:17
Cheesey,

Have you tried formatting the drive? I've found that in most cases, the drive isnt the proper format (usually NTFS). Does the tool generate an error when you run it?
Getting a SSD is a great idea. Most people will load just the OS onto the SSD and then any other files on a separate Non-SSD. It makes the OS much more robust and drastically drops the boot time to seconds. Of course multiple SSDs in a Raid 5 setup is preferred.

Jeff,

What is your internet connection like? Go to speedtest.net and post your results. Also, have you checked to make sure flash is up to date? How many people use the network at home? The more people using it, the less bandwidth available for streaming.
Captain_Keeta
Joe,

Ping: 38ms.
Download Speed: 14.65 Mbps
Upload Speed: 5.50 Mbps

My mom uses the PC downstairs and my dad uses his iPad.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16:28
Mine is

Ping: 10ms
Download Speed: 23.36 Mbps :\
Upload Speed: 2.98 Mbps

*Strokes chin*
Captain_Keeta
Not sure if yours is better. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16:32
Me neither, haha.
Captain_Keeta
You have the better download speed. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16:35
Do I? I thought bigger must mean worse. :p
Captain_Keeta
Oh. Maybe then. lol
Cheesey_B
Cheesey_B | 16:37
Here at uni it's:

34ms
28.45mbps
16.98mbps

I find that laughable. At home on super speed Virgin cable it's 4 or 5x that speed.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: