en

Bands changing name or spelling of name

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
stuffines
stuffines | 27-09-2013 08:25
So I have a question.
What do you guys think is the best thing to do if a band changes their name (or the spelling of their name)?
Should I add their new stuff under the old artist name or should I add a new artist and add the new songs there.
I'm not sure what is best. What do you think?
7 comments
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 27-09-2013 16:12
Contact Ray and ask him to update the band/artist name so you don't have to move any material, much less time consuming. You could probably just mention it in the Moderation Repitition thread. Not for that exact problem, but Ray would probably see it sooner than in a private message.
stuffines
stuffines | 27-09-2013 16:19
Ah ok, will do that. Thank you for answer.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 27-09-2013 16:27
Hmm I thought this was going to be a thread where we talk about bands that changed their name. I think it's funny that Panic! At The Disco took out the exclamation mark and then put it back in. I also think the Goo Goo Dolls have included the "the" on some of their album covers but not on others.

But yeah, it makes sense to update the band name to the new one and then combine all the lyrics.
stuffines
stuffines | 27-09-2013 16:42
XD It was more of a specific question, but I guess we can do that also.

Yeah I can think of several bands that have done that. I've just not been sure how to deal with it in moderation. But most artist pages here seem to use the latest spelling.
The band that I'm asking this about really is Invasionen that have done a MGMT and changed their name to INVSN, apparently it's pronounced the same. O_o
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 27-09-2013 17:15
I did not know that MGMT used to go by The Management. MGMT is definitely the cooler name!
stuffines
stuffines | 27-09-2013 19:01
Yeah I remember when they were Management. I agree that MGMT is much better, and definitely more memorable.
Ray
Ray | 30-09-2013 12:46
Yep, duplicate maps is not what we want, just one map for all content of an artist. The sticker with the name on the map is the last/current working artist/band-name.

Previous/old names are linked with a forward to the new name so that the map also pops up when searching on these previous/old name. Example tafkap.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: