LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Clean of the week #2: Disney

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
Ray
Ray | 02-09-2013 15:07
The Clean of the week was a test to see if we were able to clean up large messed artist maps if we all joined forced. And wow, that went great, you guys did and excellent job! Fantastic

I already mentioned it, besides the Various Artists map that now has been cleaned, there are several others that need a big clean too. I suggest to put Disney in the spotlight as the clean of this week.

Here are the guidelines again:

If you have some time left and are willing to help, you sign up as mod, do some cleaning and unmod yourself again to allow the next person do the same. Drop in a post how many songs and albums are left.

Current numbers :
songs : 414
albums : 61
20 comments
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-09-2013 18:01
Thanks, Ray. Am I safe to assume that what we're deleting in the Disney map is mostly the foreign repeats of the lyrics? As that's what it seems to mostly consist of.
Ray
Ray | 02-09-2013 19:04
Hum, good point. Animated movies are often translated in multiple languages including their songs. Therefore it's perpaps useful to keep the translations and transfer these also together with the original to the map of the actual artist. A plan?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-09-2013 03:11
Apologies, I modded earlier and then got distracted. Unmodded now.

OK, so for tomorrow/later, we are not deleting the songs completely, but instead simply transferring the non-English songs to the singers who sang them? Is that correct?
Ray
Ray | 03-09-2013 11:05
correct
Joeyy
Joeyy | 04-09-2013 03:03
Hm, I've spent some time tonight looking at it and I think there are a couple of problems with what we decided on.

For one, some of the songs on there appear to be by random people on YouTube; goodness knows why all the lyrics came to us. Can we simply delete any of this sort? (There are also some songs that make me unsure as to whether they state the artist name or not, as I'm really not very good with other languages, unfortunately.)

For another, it seems we might be missing several of the real artists (if they do turn out to be "real") from our archives and thus it may take quite a while to get through all of this (just a heads up ).

And there was something else, but my sleepy mind can't remember it right now.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 04-09-2013 03:12
Disney movies are originally made in English, people are going to disagree with me here but we should delete everything that's not the English version and just transfer the translations to the English lyrics.

Like say we have some song from the Lion King. You have the original title, which should be in English. Have the English lyrics first, then underneath those copy and paste the foreign versions that are available for that title. Saves space and all the languages for the one song can be found in one area.

And as for Joeys issue, if its not by Disney it should be removed, my opinion.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 04-09-2013 03:22
That would be such a long page to scroll down, though. But I guess that's only a problem for super lazy scrollers. Scrollers isn't a word. I don't care. Zzzzz.

Definitely agree with the last part, but we've got to go with what the big boss says.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 04-09-2013 03:24
Agreed. It's weird. Various Artists was so much more of a mess but seemed easier to clean up. But looking at Disney I kinda don't even know where to start. =/
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 06-09-2013 00:54
Bumped for later. =)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 00:58
Thanks, Jeff. My memory's so bad that I'd forgotten about this.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 06-09-2013 01:10
No problem. =)

I was hoping no one had forgotten about this. lol.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 03:01
I don't normally forget about something from Ray. We aced the last map, which was no mean feat considering the amount of songs and the small number of people working on it. I don't think Ray will mind too much if our work is a little slower on this one.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 06-09-2013 03:30
Has anyone done anything on this one yet?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 06-09-2013 20:38
You know I would. Still waiting for the meter to go down.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 21:00
I've modded and started the work, but I found another potential problem with what you (Sierra) suggested about deleting non-English versions and pasting them below the English versions. Quite a lot of them are linked to a collective album. Would deleting them take them from there?

I also think that any songs sung by official artists, if they were sold in other countries, shouldn't be deleted simply because they're not in English. That doesn't seem right.

It's slow work because I do have to check each one to see if the song is official or just a layman's cover.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 21:10
I may be wrong, but it looks like we may be adding so many new non-English artists.

So I'm hoping people will be more patient about how long this will take; there's just no way to speed it up unless we simply deleted them all, and that wouldn't be right.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 21:26
Another thing to remember is that we might not actually decrease the number by a significant amount, because there are a lot of Disney films, with manyy songs between them.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-09-2013 21:46
I'm choosing to ignore the album issue since it doesn't appear to be official/for sale.
Datagutten
Datagutten | 07-09-2013 13:17
I have done a lot of work with disney earlier, and for the foreign languages i have moved them to their correct artist. If the artist did not exist, i have added it.
Ray
Ray | 02-12-2013 10:50
*bump*

It seems this topic kinda died, was it perhaps too much or did it just got lost? Comments?
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: