LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

M S N Messenger Worm Making Rounds

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
FaMoUs18TwO
FaMoUs18TwO | 08-01-2004 21:56
I know a lot of you on here use MSN Messenger, so I figured I'd be a good samaritan and spread the news.

A new worm targeting users of Microsoft's MSN Messenger network is making the rounds and anti-virus vendors are warning that the threat level and distribution remains high.

The Jitux.A (W32/Jitux.A.worm) was detected squirming through the text chat application and trying to get users to download malicious code. The worm comes in the form on a URL which downloads the "jituxramon.exe" file.

According to an alert from Panda Software, when a user runs the file, the worm sends new messages containing the link every five minutes to all contacts stored in MSN Messenger.

The worm has no destructive effects, nor does it cause changes to the system configuration. It is compiled in Visual Basic and runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP.

Network Associates and Trend Micro have updated virus definitions to nab the Jitux worm.

The appearance of the Jitux.A worm is not the first time virus writers have target instant messenger networks, particularly the MSN Messenger. In recent times, the Henpeck/W32/ Fleming worm was also intercepted within MSN Messenger.

The appearance of IM worms comes on the heels of several warnings that instant messaging networks will be a major target for malicious virus writers.

The increasing popularity of IM usage -- among home and enterprise users -- comes with security concerns and security vendor Symantec has already warned that users of IM and peer-to-peer networks are at high risk of attack.

Statistics from Symantec showed that of the top 50 virus threats during the first six months of 2003, IM and peer-to-peer technology played a role in 19 -- a 400 percent increase from the previous year.

Story courtesy of internetnews.com.
6 comments
JustxMe
JustxMe | 08-01-2004 22:10
New Worm? Again Argh..
I didn't really get it- How could we possibly get it? From the person we are chating with in a Url thing?
FaMoUs18TwO
FaMoUs18TwO | 08-01-2004 22:31
Something like that. What I'm thinking is it goes something like this: I send you the URL to my homepage, and the virus implants itself into the link, so when you click the link, it not only brings you to my website, but it starts downloading the virus onto your computer.
IrishMeg1
IrishMeg1 | 08-01-2004 22:56
good golly... i hate people and their stupid viruses that they make!!! those bullts (lol)!!!
FaMoUs18TwO
FaMoUs18TwO | 08-01-2004 23:22
Yeah, it really sucks. I guess there are some people out there that are so sick, the only way they can amuse themselves is to spread viruses throughout the Internet. The best way to protect yourself from a virus is to keep an updated version of anti-virus software on your computer, and run system scans just to make sure there aren't any existing viruses on your computer, slowly eating away at it!
DaRkSiDe
DaRkSiDe | 08-01-2004 23:57
Thanks for the advance notice!
FaMoUs18TwO
FaMoUs18TwO | 09-01-2004 00:30
No problem at all.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: