16 comments
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 16-04-2010 20:33
I've asked another Swede about this and he said that
"He didn't care about what the Americans do,
as long as that stays in America".
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 16-04-2010 22:18
I think of it as a separate thing from All Hallow's Eve. If you want to celebrate that, do that, if you want to celebrate Halloween, celebrate Halloween.
I know some people who don't like it, but I just think it's fun, and harmless. I love Halloween.
_WonderChild_
_WonderChild_ | 16-04-2010 23:25
Some of us Swedes do dress up just like the Americans, but not many people go out and 'trick or treat' nowadays. People mainly dress up and go party at a friends house or go to a club that has a special Halloween night, where best costume wins.
I haven't had someone knock on my door since early 2000 and I kinda miss that. I think it's fun when small kids are all dressed up and get all excited when you give them candy, mainly 'cause it reminds me of when I went 'trick or treating' as a kid.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16-04-2010 23:52
Being neither Swedish nor American, I have no idea what this "Halloween" is . Now, there is a day in the UK where people dress up in costumes, and kids go to houses and ask for sweets, saying (amazingly!) the same phrase, "Trick or treat?" but I just...can't...think...what it's called here.
PunkRckr8
PunkRckr8 | 17-04-2010 15:42
pretty sure its called Halloween in the UK as well
Joeyy
Joeyy | 17-04-2010 16:47
* offtopic :
Wow, I never knew.
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 17-04-2010 19:38
Ok, thank you so much for your replies.
All of you!
I'm doing a research about cultures
and their differences
(which is the main reason why I asked)
so I really appreciate it.
Thank you all for your cooperation/Aki
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 18-04-2010 23:19
Halloween is awesome. Gives chicks an excuse to dress and act like total sluts. I give Halloween two thumbs up.
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 19-04-2010 02:28
"Total sluts"? Maybe I'm just stupid,
but I fail to see your point.
Schatzi
Schatzi | 19-04-2010 02:32
Halloween is awesome. & Curt's right. Most girls here use it as a chance to dress up super slutty. Girls will wear something like this. Any other time of the year if you saw a girl wearing that little clothes you would just call her a slut but it's slightly more acceptable on Halloween. /end ramble
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 19-04-2010 02:39
Oh, I see now. Thank you!
My family has never celebrated Halloween,
so I didn't know that.
Schatzi
Schatzi | 19-04-2010 02:47
Of course little kids don't dress up like little whores for the most part. But high school girls & older do that. Especially girls that are old enough to go to bars.

Random other topic, we actually don't get many trick or treaters anymore either. It's really quite sad. Halloween used to always be one of my favourite holidays. I was kind of excited the other year because I had time to hand out candy before I went out & I think I had about 5 groups of kids come to our door.
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 19-04-2010 02:52
Ok, sounds nice. What kind of holiday have I missed??
Sounds like fun, à time to be with family & friends...
Schatzi
Schatzi | 19-04-2010 03:02
When I was younger my mom used to make our costumes. So my sister & I would get to go the fabric store & pick out the pattern for our costumes. Every year we always thought we picked out the most epic costume ever, especially my sister the year she was a unicorn. Then at school you usually can wear your costume to school on halloween if it's a school day & there's a parade for the entire school so you can see every one's costume. Then at night you could go trick or treating around your neighborhood or your friends. Generally after you would go through all your candy & make piles for like candy you like, candy you hate, & candy you would be willing to trade for something good enough. Then you start trying to trade your candy blah blah blah. Really it was the best thing ever when I was little. It's still fun now but not the same.
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 23-04-2010 15:57
Really? How nice.
Yes, naturally, things change when you grow up.
Sadly, but nevetheless true.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 08-11-2019 05:24
Even though I'm not a fan, it's always the same. I have to get treats stacked and ready in case joking, rowdy kids come - not every year though.

Same old story in late October : I move slowly like a zombie, get surrounded by the moonlight at 10pm and howl like a werewolf, with demons accusing me of witchcraft, which is my domain, preventing me to act like a vampire, until 5am where I turn into a bat.

The Mexican Dia de los Muertos looks more astounding than Halloween IMO.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: