LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

computer won't read cds

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 01:56
my computer stopped reading CDs for some reason. i uninstalled the drive, reinstalled it, restarted, and reinstalled the application twice.

last night i put in a music CD and it crashed Windows Media Player and when i restarted my computer it said it disable third party cookies, except i don't know what that means! now it won't read any type of CD. i just bought this computer too!

can anyone help me? please?
12 comments
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 04-12-2003 01:58
If you have a warrenty on the computer I would suggest taking it back to the store to see if they can do anything about it. I had to do that with my computer before, it stopped reading discs and they did something and fixed it.
serotoninsurge
serotoninsurge | 04-12-2003 02:18
When you reinstalled it you had a good chance of missing a component. mine did the same thing do you have windows XP? mine did that but wouldnt reload properly so i had to reload all of windows...

but if its so new i would also just return it or take it back and get serviced
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 02:21
yea...i have windows XP. i haven't reloaded the whole system yet. what upsets me more than this is that transferring my old files to the new one took all night yesterday and now it goofs
serotoninsurge
serotoninsurge | 04-12-2003 02:23
I would just call the place you got it and have them fix it if its less then a few months old.

mine did the same thing like my computer wouldnt read the drives at all...i had to reload everything. p*ssed me off .lol

~edited by moderator~
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 04-12-2003 02:23
That could also be part of the problem. The new one might not support something that you loaded into it.
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 02:27
the only files i transferred were jpegs, .doc, and a few......wav files. the wav files play alright, but they won't burn at all.

i got the comp from Wal-Mart and they said to call HP about it cuz it's still under that warranty.
serotoninsurge
serotoninsurge | 04-12-2003 02:28
wal-marts so unreliable... shame on them
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 02:34
that's what i get for buying on the day after thanksgiving.

*sighs*

i e-mailed HP about this and i hope i get an answer soon. all i wanted to do was make back up copies of my CDs

thanks for your help!!
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 03:49
...i have to restore the whole thing. which means i'll lose my files on here. i don't wanna wait a whole nite for my files to d/l from my old computer! i can't save them to floppy cuz i don't have a disc big enough to hold some of the files, nor hold all the files, and i can't burn it to a CD(obviously). i guess i could stash the stuff into my geocities site and re-d/l it but at 56K it'll take forever.....

does anyone know another way to store my files?
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 05-12-2003 05:23
Does anyone know could I take my CD-ROM out of my old computer and put it into this new one with the CD-RW? The new computer does have a second bay, but I haven't opened it up yet.

Oh, and I restored the whole system and nothing happened, except I lost a few programs.
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 06-12-2003 02:12
No one?
king_gorack
king_gorack | 06-12-2003 15:09
The taking out of the CD drive and putting it into another PC should just require the removal of some screws (or sliders) and placing it into the other drive bay.
Connecting it up may be difficult if you haven't done it before. Does the manual you got with the computer have any help section dealing with adding new drives. When i did mine i had to connect the new drive up to one of the cables which went into the other CD drive and change on of the switches to another position. I cant really remeber properly.
There may be some guides on the internet explaining how to do it properly if your manual dosent say how.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: