LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en
Follow 0
Add topic
Search
Jigger
Jigger | 10-11-2003 04:21
Hey Guys, I'm working on a project on Music Downloading. I just want to know what you guys think about it. Is it good or bad for artists? Up coming Artists, artists who have already made a name for themselves? What about the industry its self. I just want your input. Thanks
11 comments
salim
salim | 10-11-2003 19:06
With respect to artists and companies, Downloading software without their written agreement (which make sit essential that we pay and they get like 90% of the money) is not allowed.
But lol, go ahead, we'll all appreciate it, or at least the ones who are interested in the latest music and ways of getting them...
surfingchic012
surfingchic012 | 10-11-2003 19:16
hmm .. heres what i do w/Downloading .. i download a few songs, figure out i like the artist .. end up buying the CD. soo, the artists are still getting their dang money!
ravenskiss
ravenskiss | 10-11-2003 19:53
em kazar is good for downloading
hudakbudak
hudakbudak | 10-11-2003 20:12
I agree with Emily. A band I like comes out with a new CD? I download a few songs to see if it's worth buying. My friends suggest a new band to listen to? I download a few songs to see if the CD is worth it. I always end upbuying the CD if I like the artist, though. I know this isn't the case with everyone, so that example doesn't really work.

But I think it definitely helps out beginning or underground artists. I wouldn't be able to name all the bands I heard of via downloading music if you asked me, there are so many. And more often than not, I ended up buying a CD of theirs because of it. And ended up telling my friends, who also bought the CD, etc. etc. etc.
king_gorack
king_gorack | 10-11-2003 20:59
I did a small project on this for Uni last year. I think that on the whole music downloading can be beneficial for artists etc as it can bring in a much larger audience than what they normally would have. The problem is the people who download hundreds of songs on the basis of "Why bother paying when it is free?"
aflackoh6
aflackoh6 | 10-11-2003 21:27
In the words of the great Mike Shinoda (i wouldnt have gotten the LP disc w/o Kazzaa)...
"we support free music, so go ahead, download that ****."
AnTiHurLeyPUnk1
AnTiHurLeyPUnk1 | 11-11-2003 05:48
I basically just download music to see if I like it or not. i.e. I downloaded a song by S.T.U.N. to see if I liked it, and after listening to it for a little while, I decided whether or not I wanted to purchase the album. Either way, artists are still getting their money because I have 120+ store bought CDs in my collection.
salim
salim | 11-11-2003 14:37
Yeah you're right that this may be a way to support artists indirectly but that's not always the case. I mean, with respect to me, I think that why bother buy a CD since I can download it for free, and even if I bought it I would end up ripping it since I like my library to be on PC. So if it's almost the same, why bother? I don't really know what the majority of people do, download to buy or economise... Maybe we should put that on the daily poll!
aflackoh6
aflackoh6 | 11-11-2003 16:22
what about the people who are too lazy to dl a whole cd (like myself) so they dl a few songs and if they like them, they go buy the cd...
salim
salim | 12-11-2003 19:12
Yeah there are many types lazy, whatever.. But you may also think of it as easier to download songs from the internet than buy a cd if you got fast connection.. it's like 1 click and in a few minutes you got the whole album!
andro
andro | 12-11-2003 19:15
With more recent music I'll usually download one of two tracks from an album to see if it's going to be a worthwhile buy. But for older music that is considerably more difficult to find in the record stores, filesharing networks are the easiest way to get them.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: