LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Oh how I envy American students

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
Jet_City_Woman
Jet_City_Woman | 08-12-2006 22:43
Since it's coming up to the start of a new academic year I thought I'd take this opportunity to explain how lucky you Americans are to have a fraternity system.
English Universities are so dull by comparison. Like most students in England I had to rent private accommodation for my second and third years, but it never occurred to us to build a whole culture around collectively renting a rather dilapidated house in Clapham. It wasn't even single sex accommodation, so we couldn't engage in the fun and games of para-homosexual activities - Girls just don't have the same grip on your loyalties as your Greek brothers . And while cliques certainly form in English Universities, the are all much too boring to come up with the idea of hazing. I fondly recall diving off a weir and almost drowning when I was 12 because everyone said I was chicken. If only it had been possible for me to gain respect in later life through similar tests, and if these tests could have been combined with pseudo Masonic rituals culminating in the awarding of a little badge, then that truly would have made my time at University worthwhile. And while I still have friends from University, these friendships seem so hollow compared to bonds of fraternal brotherhood since they are not based on solemn vows of fellowship, mutual sacrifice, group solidarity and
owning the same poxy little badge.
Then there's sheer joy alcohol seems to bring fraternity members.. By the time I went to university the delights of getting dangerously drunk at parties had started to seem mundane. But to American students in fraternities, the bravado of excessive alcohol consumption is a an exciting new and illicit game where you can prove yourself worthy to all your male friends and simultaneously circumvent college alcohol policy - thereby proving what a rebel you are too. Gosh.
I am also rather fond of the references to ancient Greece. It reeks of a history far nobler and grander than anything a British University can instill its students with, and the wearing of togas must make it seem as authentic as a ploughman's lunch.
I think what I am trying to say is that Fraternities give young Americans the chance to grow up in their own time, and that it is regrettable that no similar opportunity is afforded to European Students. In particular, I find it sad that even some American students fore go the opportunity to wear togas and claim to be Greek. Really this should be mandatory, so every graduate will be secure in the knowledge that they have gained something much more valuable than a degree from an American University - a little badge with some Greek letters on it.
Although I am not American, I admire the system so much that I would dearly love to become an honorary member of a fraternity. I have set my heart on becoming an alumni of Theta Omicron Sigma Sigma Epsilon Ro Sigma. I do so hope this is possible.
14 comments
fishmunky
fishmunky | 08-12-2006 22:57
while i appreciate the satirical barb, i say dont knock it til you've tried it

as a member of a fraternity in Canada...i've learned alot about me, its taught me how to live on my own, the importantance of pulling your weight , and taught me how to budget and live on my own

some of the guys i've met here are people i consider legimate best friends, the closest i've had since i moved to this city

im not gonna try to shatter anyones stereotypes...cause even if i told how much we do in the way of fundraising and community service you wouldnt believe me...nor does anyone truly understand how much effort goes into throwing a successful party, where nothing gets broken, stolen and doesn't get shut down by cops or fights

its a cultural thing...i dont like every aspect of it, but i wouldn't change it for anything...except lots of money
vandy
vandy | 08-12-2006 23:48
To add onto what Anthony said, not EVERY US college student is part of the greek system--in my university, it's about 15% of students.
Jet_City_Woman
Jet_City_Woman | 08-12-2006 23:56
Do you have proof of this?
fishmunky
fishmunky | 09-12-2006 01:37
take a poll of the U.S and Canadian university students on this forum

I'm willing to bet you'll find it a hell of a lot smaller

particularly in canada

but theres a lot of students in U.S colleges where Greek life is just not cared about

some places its a huge deal (PSU, OSU) other its just not (NYU, MIT)

again a lovely satircal shot...but your definitely talking about a realm which you've never experienced and have no first hand knowledge of

until you go to school on this side of the atlantic...then im afraid your frame of reference isn't that strong
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 09-12-2006 03:03
I didn't read it. Because you typed it up like a dumbass.

But are you knocking frats? Lol, frats are good times. Not for everyone, but good times.
vandy
vandy | 09-12-2006 08:46
I'm sure if you looked on my school's website you could find the statistics somewhere. But I don't live in a sorority, and no one that I've been friends with has lived in a sorority or frat at any point in their college career.

Do you have any proof of the opposite? Or are you basing it off what you see on American TV and movies?
xEmoxGirlx
xEmoxGirlx | 10-12-2006 23:00
To second Ant on that prior statement, some colleges could care less about Frat houses. I know that at Oregon State University (where the movie "animal house" was filmed) Frats are looked up at , where as 230 miles away, University of Oregon frats arn't even looked at.

As for the illiciet drinking...

Lol going out and getting dangerously drunk dosn't always have to be with a bunch of your frat buddies...I know also from experience that it can just be you and a bunch of your friends hanging out after a hockey game getting drunk beyond all reason due to drinking games , because they said that you couldn't outdrink them..and in the end you did ....ha good times.

vandy
vandy | 11-12-2006 03:21
WHOA WHOA WHOA....

Animal House was taped at University of Oregon. Sorry if that seems like a picky difference, but I go to OSU and happen to hate the ducks (in a friendly way, of course.)

And actually, OSU is just about 40 miles up the road from UO.
nefariouslady_t
nefariouslady_t | 11-12-2006 04:14
i am going to start bash other country threads too, looks fun...

same ppl who binge drink at frat houses would binge drink somewhere else even if there weren't frat houses. ppl who drink usually hang out together anyways.

and at the end of the day they got the choice to join. isreal just forces everyone to be in the military.

wearing a toga and having a beer sounds more fun than manditory service for 18 months.
Pandora
Pandora | 11-12-2006 14:25
i am going to start bash other country threads too, looks fun...

we really should.. I'm not fond of stereotypes... but everyone else seems to be.

Ehh.. don't believe everything you see in the Movies.

Most of your lil rant was overexaggerated and like ANT said, completely off course considering you have no first hand experience with the American Fraternity/Sorority scene.

rockon
tabitha
vandy
vandy | 11-12-2006 19:47
Honestly...I get it. There are a lot of stupid americans. Many things about American culture absolutely reek. I get it.

But are we honestly supposed to just sit here and take it when the Europeans tell us that all of us are fat, lazy, and overconsumptive? Are we supposed to sit here and take it while people make broad generalizations of us, especially when they're based on movies and TV?

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of European folk out there who are much more open minded and realize that any one of us is very capable of deviating from the norm in many ways, but the ones who fail to realize this are especially frustrating.
spanisheyes2
spanisheyes2 | 12-12-2006 05:21
Thank you very much Pandora...

It is so wonderful to read all about those who judge other countries based on little or no experience in said country...

I know, lets all judge England's whole social system based on Harry Potter....

You English students are SO LUCKY! You get to live in castles and learn magic spells!
Schatzi
Schatzi | 12-12-2006 06:37

You English students are SO LUCKY! You get to live in castles and learn magic spells!

haha. Oh my. I'm such a retard but that made me giggle. I've been awake much too long.
Pandora
Pandora | 12-12-2006 14:06

haha that was actually glorious.. well done mate =)

classs... don't forget your broomsticks!

rockon
tabitha
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: