pt

New way of dealing with artist name changes

Seguir 6
Compartilhar
Adicionar tópico
Procurar
Ray
Ray | 15-05-2018 18:38
It's not uncommon that artists change their names. On LetsSingIt the way to deal with such a name change was to change the name of the artist map. Then the old name got simply replaced with the new name everywhere.

Why a new method

I never was quite happy with this old method. Old material released under the old name was also changed. I prefer to use the new name only for new releases, old material should not get a name change. And that's possible now, nice.

How it works

When an artist changes its name, it's added as new artist. The map with the old name is linked to this new map. With this link all content of the old map appears in the new map as if it belongs to the new map.

Example

The album "The Saga Continues ..." was released by "P. Diddy" as he called himself back in 2001 at the time of the album release.

Currently he calls himself Puff Daddy. The map of with former name "P. Diddy" is linked to the "Puff Daddy". The result is that the album "The Saga Continues ..." is listed in the "Puff Daddy" map.

Request link

There is no contribute-tool yet available to create links. For the moment you can use this thread to request links. I'll process them by hand. Please include in your request:

1) the name and url of the current name
2) the name and url of the former name that need to be linked to the current name

76 até 100 de 166 comentários
página 4 de 7
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 15-06-2020 21:03
I'm trying to rename M.F.O. to MFÖ, but am getting the infinite loading screen whenever I try - figured I should post here even though this thread isn't for renaming artists. I was able to rename several others without problem - maybe an issue with the Ö character?

Have you checked this artist MfÖ? The lyrics seem to be in Turkish too.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 15-06-2020 21:06
Ah yes, there's the problem. Didn't think to see if the band was in the database twice, so I'll work on merging the pages together.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 25-06-2020 20:07
1. Kamelancien
2. Kamelanc' (name used around 2008, 2012 to 2014)
French rapper.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-06-2020 19:45
Please make Trevor Moran an "also known as" alias for Trevi Moran. She released music under Trevor Moran prior to her gender transition this month, but her name has changed to Trevi Moran on streaming services as well.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 29-06-2020 15:56
Please make Hannah Montana an "also known as" alias for Miley Cyrus, since the page covers both songs released under her own name and songs released under Hannah Montana for the soundtracks of the TV show of the same name.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 01-07-2020 04:43
Daniel Desnoyers
Aliases : Dan D-Noy and Dan Desnoyers
Canadian producer/DJ.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 02-07-2020 17:20
Please make Elvis Costello and the Attractions and Elvis Costello and the Imposters "also known as" aliases for Elvis Costello. The map covers material released under his own name, as well as with his two backing bands over the years.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 03-07-2020 21:17
Please merge Annabella Lwin into Annabella and make it an "also known as" alias. She went under the mononym Annabella for her solo career, but is more recognized under her full name (especially with her band Bow Wow Wow).
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-07-2020 02:10
Please make:

- Lady Antebellum an "also known as" alias for Lady A
- Dixie Chicks an "also known as" alias for The Chicks

Both of them changed their name amidst the Black Lives Matter movement and George Floyd protests due to perceived references to slavery in their names.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 11-07-2020 19:20
Please make MUZZY an "also known as" alias for MUZZ. This was his former name.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 16-07-2020 15:13
Please merge Paul McCartney & Wings into Wings and make it an "also known as" alias. This was another name the band used on some releases.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 21-07-2020 15:38
Please merge Geoff Moore and the Distance into Geoff Moore and make it an "also known as" alias. He used this band name on some of his releases.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 26-07-2020 15:51
Moving this over from the "Rename this artist please" thread, as Jeff posted it back in January and it wasn't tended to.

Jay Cosmic should be merged into DESERT STAR and made an "also known as" alias. Source is here.
Ray
Ray | 27-07-2020 10:16
Updated! Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Please make Hannah Montana an "also known as" alias for Miley Cyrus

I'm not sure what to do here. This one is one of a kind There is a Hannah Montana map, but that's a TV-Show and can't be merged into Miley Cyrus. Hannah Montana is already a searchable alias, so looking for Hannah Montana will point to Miley Cyrus. And strickly, Hannah Montana is from a TV show and not related to Miley Cyrus.

Lady Antebellum / Dixie Chicks name change

I see the artist names of the maps have been changed. That is from searchengine (SEO) perspective not a good idea, that will break up searchengine ranking. In case of an artist name change the way to go is to create a new map for the new name and merge the map with the old name into the new one.

I reversed the map names, put the old one back and merged it into the new map.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-07-2020 19:09
Thanks for the info on that, Ray. Lady A and The Chicks were already renamed when I came across them; I believe Celine renamed them both. I wouldn't have done that personally, especially since they're both high-profile artists with a lot of content in their maps. Glad you were able to find a workaround though.

Interesting that the system considers the Hannah Montana name "taken" even though one page is a TV series. I would assume there'd be a difference since they're different artist page "types", but I guess not. I suppose it's not important since, as you said, users will still be lead to Miley Cyrus either way.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 10-08-2020 01:42
1. Sunday Girl (name used in 2010-2013)
2. Whinnie Williams (since 2013)
English singer.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-09-2020 15:50
The girl group Thriii has released music under three different names in the past - 3mcclaingirls, McClain, and McClain Sisters. So, make all three of these aliases and merge McClain's content into Thriii's page.

I created a separate blank page for the new name just in case Ray didn't want the page renamed for SEO purposes. I also created blank pages for the other two names, so merging should be easy for this one.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 15-11-2020 05:23
Please add Edith Whiskers as an "also known as" alias for Tom Rosenthal. He recently released an album of covers under this pseudonym. His tweet announcing it is here.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 19-11-2020 17:17
Lorie
Alias : Lorie Pester
French singer/actress.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 22-11-2020 03:49
Cleopatra [UK]
Alias : Cleopatra ZYC (name used in Canada)
UK girlsband.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 25-11-2020 05:50
Please add Starfucker as an "also known as" alias for STRFKR. They went by this name prior to 2012, then shortened it starting on their 2013 album Miracle Mile.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 03-01-2021 17:44
Please merge Stella Le Page into Beau Corbeau and make it an "also known as" alias. She recorded 2 albums under this name before switching her stage name to Beau Corbeau.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 27-01-2021 02:31
Jhené Aiko (since 2011)
Alias : Jhené (name used in 2002-2004)
American singer.

Mila J
Alias : Japollonia (name used in 2012-2014)
American singer.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 31-01-2021 18:25
Please merge Aviva Mongillo into Carys and make it an "also known as" alias. She previously used her real name on her debut EP, but changed her name to Carys beginning with her second EP.
Ray
Ray | 02-02-2021 21:35
Updated! Thanks guys for keeping the archive clean! And my apologies for the late reply, Corona has taken its toll. Stay save and healthy guys!
convidado
convidado
SAIR SALVE salvando ...
Leia mais: