pt

New way of dealing with artist name changes

Seguir 6
Compartilhar
Adicionar tópico
Procurar
Ray
Ray | 15-05-2018 18:38
It's not uncommon that artists change their names. On LetsSingIt the way to deal with such a name change was to change the name of the artist map. Then the old name got simply replaced with the new name everywhere.

Why a new method

I never was quite happy with this old method. Old material released under the old name was also changed. I prefer to use the new name only for new releases, old material should not get a name change. And that's possible now, nice.

How it works

When an artist changes its name, it's added as new artist. The map with the old name is linked to this new map. With this link all content of the old map appears in the new map as if it belongs to the new map.

Example

The album "The Saga Continues ..." was released by "P. Diddy" as he called himself back in 2001 at the time of the album release.

Currently he calls himself Puff Daddy. The map of with former name "P. Diddy" is linked to the "Puff Daddy". The result is that the album "The Saga Continues ..." is listed in the "Puff Daddy" map.

Request link

There is no contribute-tool yet available to create links. For the moment you can use this thread to request links. I'll process them by hand. Please include in your request:

1) the name and url of the current name
2) the name and url of the former name that need to be linked to the current name

51 até 75 de 166 comentários
página 3 de 7
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 22-02-2020 22:20
And another:

The Georgia Flood should be made an "also known as" alias for PREACHERVAN. They went by this name on their first EP from 2016 before changing it in 2018.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 23-02-2020 18:07
Destiny Potato should be made an "also known as" alias for Sordid Pink. They went by this name prior to 2018.
Ray
Ray | 01-03-2020 11:53
Nicolas, in your "big load" I'm not exactly sure what to do. I read "Make X an alias of Y". In your comments I read that most of these "X" are previous names, which means we need to handle these as "AKA" instead of an alias.

When handling X as AKA for Y, the X map must exists. But reading your other posts I see you already get the picture. Probably it was because these "big load" lists we originally on another topic.

I can process the "big load" list, but then everywhere I read that it was a real used name, I'll add this name as new map to the site and use it as AKA. Agree?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 01-03-2020 19:03
Yes, in that big load, every time I made reference to an "alias" I was referring to an "also known as" alias unless otherwise specified - I was simply using shorthand because of how many I was bringing over from the other thread. I know another map needs to exist in order to do that, but most of the former names don't exist under a separate map. So yes, if I'm understanding correctly, you'll need to create the map for the former name first, and then merge the 2 together. This is fine. I believe the last three requests are the only ones where the alternate name exists in the database (in the third post).

I'll make sure to double-check everything when you're done (as always) just in case there's any typos

P.S. - in the future, would you prefer me to create a blank artist page for these former name cases before posting here?
Ray
Ray | 04-03-2020 20:01
Done! Nice work guys!

In my previous comment I use the "Also known as (AKA)" term. This of course should have been "formerly known as". It's a little complex, so I'd better not make it more complex by using wrong terms.

In the future, you can create a blank maps for the "Also known as" artist. But I can make them as well, that's no problem. I actually meant that perhaps there is any content that can be transferred to the "Also known as" artist. If so, you can also create the map.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 04-03-2020 20:24
Just went through all my requests, everything looks good (and miraculously, no typos)! Thanks for the info as well - that should be it as far as big piles of requests go, and should be a bit more smooth from here on out.

The only error I'm seeing right now is that searching for Steven Van Zandt is not showing Little Steven in the database. But, perhaps searchable aliases take some time to appear and I need to wait it out.
Ray
Ray | 04-03-2020 20:29
Ray
Ray | 04-03-2020 20:30
Perhaps searchable aliases take some time to appear

I think that's indeed right
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 04-03-2020 20:33
Alright, good to know!

Naturally, I just thought of another AKA situation I forgot to post here, so I'll dump that here in the meantime:

Make Diving Station and Divingstation "also known as" aliases of Divingstation95. He first used "Diving Station" with a space in 2012, changed it to "Divingstation" in 2013 or 2014, and has used Divingstation95 for the past year or two.
Ray
Ray | 04-03-2020 20:36
"also known as"?

Added
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-03-2020 00:56
Marina and the Diamonds should be made an "also known as" alias for MARINA.

I had been putting this one off for the past year because the "Marina" map was already taken by a different Marina (Marina Kamen) back when she announced this name change. But, I finally sorted that map out and renamed it, allowing this Marina to be the "primary" one (she's easily the most famous musician named Marina now). Just waiting for everything I transferred/merged to get accepted in the queue.
--------------
Teen Suicide should be made an "also known as" alias for American Pleasure Club. They went by this name between 2009 and 2017, and officially began using the name American Pleasure Club on this release.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 03-04-2020 23:08
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats should be made an "also known as" alias for Nathaniel Rateliff.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 06-04-2020 14:36
Please merge Saron Gas with Seether and make Saron Gas an "also known as" alias for Seether. This was their name between 1999-2002.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-04-2020 03:55
- Please make Swimming with Sharks and Inga & Anete Humpe "also known as" aliases for Humpe & Humpe. The duo was known as Swimming with Sharks in the US, and also went under the name Inga & Anete Humpe on certain versions of releases.

- Please merge the Yaz map with Yazoo and make Yaz an "also known as" alias. They went by this name in the US. I'll begin sending the duplicate songs through the queue in a moment.
Ray
Ray | 09-04-2020 10:46
Updated! Nice work
Malindagtsqueen
Malindagtsqueen | 10-04-2020 08:49
Grace [AU] now goes by SAYGRACE
Malindagtsqueen
Malindagtsqueen | 10-04-2020 23:05
Is there a process to go through requesting an artist name change or do you just post in this thread?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 11-04-2020 16:12
Is there a process to go through requesting an artist name change or do you just post in this thread?

There is a separate thread for that here.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 25-04-2020 16:32
Please merge Smokey Robinson & The Miracles into The Miracles, and make Smokey Robinson & The Miracles the "also known as" alias. This is the same band; they only went by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles between 1965 and 1972.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 28-04-2020 02:25
Hi Ray.

Please merge Slips & Slurs into Slippy if you could, please. He changed his alias.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2020 17:06
Please make FamilyJules7x an "also known as" alias for FamilyJules. He previously went under this name before dropping the 7x later on.
Ray
Ray | 06-05-2020 10:20
Updated
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 23-05-2020 15:25
Please make Carly Hennessy an "also known as" alias for Carly Smithson. She recorded an album under her maiden name in 2001.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-06-2020 19:01
Please merge The Sweet with Sweet and make it an "also known as" alias. It's an alternate name they used, but they are primarily known as just Sweet. I just cleared out some dupes from the map but this should prevent Snap from re-adding any dupes under that name.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 15-06-2020 20:19
I'm trying to rename M.F.O. to MFÖ, but am getting the infinite loading screen whenever I try - figured I should post here even though this thread isn't for renaming artists. I was able to rename several others without problem - maybe an issue with the Ö character?
convidado
convidado
SAIR SALVE salvando ...
Leia mais: