pt

MCSMeister's Lyric Help Thread

Seguir 4
Compartilhar
Adicionar tópico
Procurar
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-12-2014 17:45
So my song help thread is long dead at this point and I don't want to bump it. However, I do want to reboot the thread in a new sort of way.

I've mentioned in my previous thread before that when transcribing songs, I came to the realization that if I post my transcription with missing parts, then those missing parts will also sound indecipherable to another listener's ears. However, if I just let them transcribe the whole song themselves, they may hear it perfectly clear. So that is what I'm going to do this time around and see if this works out; I'll be posting links to songs that anyone here can feel free to give a shot at transcribing.

When I began my old thread, several different users were helping me transcribe songs, but by the end of its course, it all came down to solely Joeyy helping me and no one else. I want to see if that can change this time. Of course I can't control whether that can change or not, but I noticed tequizasunrise and kalsonberry were very instrumental in helping myself and others transcribe lyrics before, so hopefully I can recruit them to assist in my endeavors once again. If this thread fails once more, I'll probably try bringing it to another music forum and see how that fares.

Anyways, without further ado, I'll start with these five songs:

Milquetoast & Co. - "Love and Tonic"
Jigsaw - "I've Seen the Film, I've Read the Book"
Strawberry Alarm Clock - "Sea Shell"
Jo Jo Gunne - "I Wanna Love You"
Acid Witch - "Intro" (This track's "lyrics" are spoken-word, and there is literally one word I am unsure about)

And please don't feel unaccomplished if you can't make out every single word, any assistance helps me a lot. Thanks!
276 até 300 de 314 comentários
página 12 de 13
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 03-12-2016 17:09
* offtopic :
Oh, it's not available digitally - his last two albums are very rare. I have this album on vinyl but I don't even think it was reissued as a single CD. All I could find was it reissued with his final album, White Noise, but it's very expensive ($70 used on Amazon). I already own White Noise on CD though, so I'd be paying for an album I already own on top of it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not "more than ever before" (don't really hear those syllables). I hear the "you ever did know" but that doesn't really make sense there. I put the line as "wherever you go" when I transcribed it which might be close enough for now. I wouldn't mind hearing extra input from Terry, though.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 04-12-2016 20:36
And you're gonna get hurt if you ever let go

Perhaps?
tequizasunrise
tequizasunrise | 04-12-2016 23:18
I love Spirit! Never made the connection with your avatar till you mentioned it. Then again, I'm not really familiar with Jay Ferguson's solo material other than his Thunder Island hit way from back when. Oh. Sorta offtopic but... you might find this amusing - googled the first line of one of my favorite more or less obscure songs that I thought I was the only one on the planet to have heard. I did this once in a blue moon for years and never got any results. Then one day recently I tried again and it turns out YOU posted the lyrics to it. "Just a drop of soft soft rain. Upon my brow I feel no pain" well, you have the last part of that line as "I feel nothing" but I always heard "no pain" and still hear it as that now. But now I see why you have us transcribe lyrics without seeing what you heard as the lyrics - that can easily influence what you hear and lock it down in your mind enough to prevent you from hearing it any other way.

Anyway... back to Jay Ferguson's song... I heard "Love at the red line. And you gonna get hurt if you rev up and go"
That's what I heard the first time I heard that line today and I'm sure the context of all the car driving imagery in the rest of the song could have influenced me hearing it that way. I also avoided paying attention to what you both heard until after I heard it the first time to avoid being railroaded into hearing it a certain way. But now THAT version is locked in my head and I'm not hearing it any other way....
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-12-2016 01:51
* offtopic :
Yeah, Terry, I don't blame you - Jay only had two top 40 hits as a solo artist, "Thunder Island" and "Shakedown Cruise". I got my avatar from this performance of "Thunder Island" on Top of the Pops - he makes some memorable facial expressions in it! He's a really talented guy, but doesn't get enough credit IMO. His first three albums on Asylum Records (the "Asylum Trilogy") are considered his best work, but the two albums he did on Capitol after that are very obscure. I remember reading in the liner notes of one of my Jay CDs that he "wasn't able to pick that thread up again" after the trilogy. I still like what I've heard of his last two albums - they're certainly different for him, though (there's even some metal/hard rock influences on his last album, White Noise).

Hahaha, I didn't transcribe "Soft Rain" myself - I haven't listened to any Stories songs besides "Brother Louie", but I have a friend who's into them. Quite a coincidence, though! Understand that I don't listen to everything I submit here - I don't have that kind of time! I submit tons of lyrics every week just to help the site; they're not all bands I'm extremely familiar with. But, I do submit a lot of obscure lyrics so that doesn't surprise me. Glad I could help you, regardless

Anyway, I think I might go with Joey's suggestion for this one. Indeed, this song is about driving so Terry's suggestion would make sense, but I definitely hear what Joey hears more (it makes sense either way, I think, but Joey's line seems more probable). I'll make the adjustment to the transcription now - thanks very much!
stanislav2005
stanislav2005 | 05-12-2016 13:19
Regarding Helen Terry's song "Now you are mine": Line#5 I hear " Life begin"
stanislav2005
stanislav2005 | 05-12-2016 13:23
Correction! Regarding Helen Terry's song "Now you are mine": Line#5 I hear "Love begin"
stanislav2005
stanislav2005 | 05-12-2016 15:55
Regarding Helen Terry's amazing and funny song "Now You Are Mine" : Line#1 I hear "Here's my guy, the one you misused for". Line #3 - " Love, begin!" in imperative mood. Please, if you have time look up at my post of the song "Mixed Up" - I cannot figure out line# 3 in my song! Thanks!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-12-2016 19:25
Hello new user. Just a note for the future that you are able to edit your posts, you didn't have to post three times in a row like that.

I previously established that I'm positive the line is "plug me in", not "love begin" due to how her lips move in the music video (it also makes sense with the "turn us on now" in the preceding line). I'm still not sure about that first line but I have considered "misuse" as the word, it just doesn't make sense to me no matter what I put there. Thanks for trying to help, though.
stanislav2005
stanislav2005 | 07-12-2016 16:46
Hello! Thank you for the note. I'd like to say that you're doing an amazing job! The English songs lyrics are sometimes so tricky and baffling, indeed and this site is so helpful to song lovers. I stumbled across Eruption's song 'Computer Love' but in the end I think I've deciphered the fuzzy line ' I said I'm so low' though it's wrong grammatically and stylistically. Thanks again.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 11-02-2017 02:40
After doing some work on The Terminator's soundtrack, I could use some help with this song:

Linn Van Hek - "Intimacy"

Some lyrics for this existed online, but there was a lot missing and incorrect. I can understand why, though, because it's really hard to understand the way she sings (she has a very shaky voice). Thankfully, the way her lips move in the music video helped me clean up the transcription a bit, but I wouldn't mind if someone tried to transcribe it to see what they hear.

Here's how the transcription came out if anyone wants to use it as a reference. Some specific lines I'm unsure about:

- "I got your name, no need to surrender" (looks like she mouths something different for the first half)

- "You say you know, just what do you amount to?"

- "I'm very special, but I'm not that/never aware"
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 03-03-2017 22:10
Bump. Help would be greatly appreciated.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-03-2017 00:47
Another bump. Just thought I'd mention that after numerous listens, I changed the first line to "I got a man, I need to surrender". It sort of makes sense with the rest of the first verse as it could signify that she can't have another meaningful relationship as she is already taken (the lines "I don't want passion, I need to be tender" and "it's not your body I'm gonna remember" lead me to believe this).

That aside, I'd still like for someone to give it a listen and see what they hear for the other lines in question.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20-03-2017 01:27
Could the first one be, "I got the mind, the need to surrender"? As in, "I've got the mind to" (sort of to say 'I'm tempted to').

I don't know about the middle line in question, but I think the term or word rhymes with, or is a near rhyme to, "(social) disaster" in the following line. It seems like that might be what she was going for.

It's probably not right, but the last line in question to me sounds like, "I'm very special, but I'm not for old men", lol.

I couldn't be of more help.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 20-03-2017 05:11
"I got a man, I need to surrender" or "I've got a man, I need to surrender"

It kind of does sound like she says the second line. I thought it could be: "You say you know, just what do you matter?"

"I'm very special, but I'm never aware" seems like what she says.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-03-2017 14:02
I appreciate the help after all this time I know it's tough, so I wasn't asking for perfection, just for another ear to see what they heard. I think I might go with what Joey has for that first line. It does sound more like "mind"; if it really is "man", then she has a weird inflection on it. Other than that, I think the second line is right judging from her lip movements (doesn't really look like she mouths "matter"), but "I'm very special, but I'm never aware" definitely is something else, as her lips seem to mouth something else in the place of "aware".

Unless anyone has any other suggestions for what that line could be, I'll just change the first line for now. Though, it does kind of look like she mouths "not for old men", but I have a hard time believing that's the real lyric (maybe the "men" part is valid, though?)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 20-03-2017 19:47
That's weird; I meant to say, "I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help," haha.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-03-2017 21:48
Nah, no worries, I got the gist

I guess you don't have anything else to add here, but now I'm starting to think the last word of that line is "man" or "men". I keep hearing "I'm very special, but I'm not for a man" or something like that, but I'm not sure if that makes sense here.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-07-2017 19:55
Bumping this thread again, as I have a friend on another lyric site who needs help with this song. Since Scott is fluent in Spanish, I figure it's a good idea to try it here as it has a bridge entirely in Spanish.

Smokey Robinson - Tu Me Besas Muy Rico
roxcyn
roxcyn | 10-07-2017 03:07
Has he or she transcribed any of it or so I transcribe the whole song?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-07-2017 03:10
They have a little bit, but I'd prefer if you tried transcribing the whole song so you're not influenced by their transcription.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 28-08-2017 18:18
Bump. Scott, will you be available to help with this soon?
roxcyn
roxcyn | 28-08-2017 22:24
Sorry, let me check on it after work, ok?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 08-09-2017 15:13
Let me know when you're available to do this, please
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 25-11-2017 05:50
Scott, he still needs help. You're really the only person here that can help because I don't know if any other active users are fluent in Spanish. I'll keep reminding you via PM if needed.

Here's the link to the song again.

Smokey Robinson - Tu Me Besas Muy Rico
roxcyn
roxcyn | 04-12-2017 07:04
convidado
convidado
SAIR SALVE salvando ...
Leia mais: