pt

Why Dont Americans Like Hockey

Seguir 0
Compartilhar
Adicionar tópico
Procurar
kyle250705
kyle250705 | 11-02-2007 06:50
So basicly The NHL is being killed in most of its american markets especially in the south. I realize this is a post that has nothing really to do with music, but i was just wondering what it was about hockey that does not appeal to american viewers. And for any non-Americans out there, how big is hockey in your country?
18 comentários
lemonlime110
lemonlime110 | 11-02-2007 07:00
I'm from canada.. but its still much more over-rated here.. and since you are from canada... i dont really have to explain..

but yeah.. u are wayy of topic posting that here.. sory
Schatzi
Schatzi | 11-02-2007 09:16
I love hockey & most people I know love it too. But I guess Michigan is close enough to Canada, eh, to have the same love for it? Too late/early to say more than that.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 11-02-2007 14:27
Yeah, are you kidding, everyone in my family watches hockey, I don't so much anymore, but used to a lot.
xoparisxo617
xoparisxo617 | 11-02-2007 14:33
I love hockey.
Dagor
Dagor | 11-02-2007 16:07
for the same reasons that the rest of the world doesn't like it either.
carole
carole | 11-02-2007 16:52
lol daniel..

as far as i know, hockey didnt exist before i met gabe. now it does and pple actually play it, watch it, and enjoy it.
fishmunky
fishmunky | 11-02-2007 18:43
Here is the simple explanation for why hockey gets more attention in Canada, northern Europe and the northern U.S states

Kids grow up playing it

ice hockey is popular in countries with colder weather because there is reason to play it there...pick up games of pond hockey are popular from a young age

In Canada and such we are accustomed to games of hockey growing up, because its the organized sport most of us were pushed into

now lets look at it logically...how much snow does Florida, California or Tennesse get? exactly, how many kids grew up playing hockey in these areas...maybe 1 in 300

thats why Hockey will never be huge in a place like Atlanta, Nashville or Tampa Bay

Anaheim will probably win the Stanley Cup this year...and much like Tampa and Carolina the previous the city will give a collective meh and still not sell out hockey games

funny fact the 6 Canadian teams account for 1/3 of the NHL's overall revenue...big shock huh....1/5 of the leagues teams generate 1/3 of the revenenue

The fact is the commmissioner is an idiot and is trying to generate a market where it doesn't exist

St. Louis failed to get 10,000 people to a game b/w the Blues and the Leafs...a game that would have been money 5 years ago

The NHL is riddled with problems right now

and it needs to be changed from the top up
mikey_boy
mikey_boy | 11-02-2007 18:58
Bettman is possibly the worse commissioner of any sport. but he thinks he's so great. how the owners havent fired him is beyond me. the NHL will be a joke until someone gets into that position that knows what they're doing. i love hockey, and im american. i played street hockey religiously for 3 years straight. i would have loved to play ice and continued playing but it was far to expensive for me to afford especially as a goaltender.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 11-02-2007 19:07
Like Anthony said, the climate really dictates this as much as anything. Most of southern America doesn't get a lot of snow or cold weather, therefore they don't have kids playing ice hockey. It's much easier to play baseball or something year-round when it never snows.

NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 11-02-2007 19:36
hockey always reminded me of lacrosse.

vandy
vandy | 12-02-2007 12:30
a friend of mine hypothesized that football is so much more popular here than soccer because there are so many opportunities in football for media timeouts...could the same apply to hockey? I know very little about the sport.
Pandora
Pandora | 12-02-2007 14:36
the only reason I know anything about hockey is because some of my cousins used to live up in the northern states when we were younger, and I would go up and visit them... then when they moved back here to Georgia, we picked up street hockey... we didn't have much of a crowd to play though, because we were the only people with any sort of equipment.

It's the climate, it's alot of things. We have the Thrashers, and a local ECHL team called the Gladiators, they get alot of people watching them here and there because it's so foreign to so many people... but we grow up playing basketball/baseball/football.... 85% of people here won't lay hands on an hockey stick their entire lives....

You could say here, hockey is to Canada, like baseball/football is to most of the US.

rockon
tabitha
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 12-02-2007 14:39
hockey sucks
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 12-02-2007 15:28
I grew up in upstate New York. I wouldn't say hockey was the BIGGEST sport there but it was popular. Like many people have said, because of the cold weather, ice hockey was very popular in the winter. A guy I grew up with got drafted to the NHL the year we graduated actually. That was a pretty big deal back home, being that it was such a small town.
But down here in Texas though... not so much hockey. The town I'm in is all about football... It reminds me of one of those stupid football movies...
Pandora
Pandora | 12-02-2007 16:05
^ i'm the living proof that you can be canadian AND yet dislike hockey.

haha my boyfriend was born in Washington state, but was raised here in Georgia and he despises pretty much all athletics, he doesn't care to go to/watch a game either... which is almost unheard of for a 'southern boy' .. so I totally understand that.

rockon
tabitha
dark_knight86
dark_knight86 | 12-02-2007 20:57
I like hockey, playing it that is, not watching. Watching sports is boring, I'd much rather be out playing it but since I live in California, it's hard to find a place where they play hockey so just have to stick with rollerblading.
italianbliss03
italianbliss03 | 16-04-2007 08:08
I live in Ohio and I love hockey, I know a lot of people that like hockey. More people are getting into it too. I don't think the ducks are going to win this year...i'm thinking buffalo will considering they have been doing so well. Just a guess.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 02-10-2009 08:47
like i said earlier, it's not a sport kids grow up playing in America... and as a fan, most names i can't even pronounce.. It's a sport where mos tof the great players aren't american, and it isn't shown on TV too often, so the opportunity to even check it out doesn't exist.. even some of the Stanley Cup games weren't televised where I live.

that being said, Pittsburgh is absolutely hockey crazy, so is Penn State for the most part.. In part because their baseball team never, ever has a shot at competing and they don't have basketball.. It's all about the Steelers and Pens (mainly since they became good again with Sid and Malkin)
convidado
convidado
SAIR SALVE salvando ...
Leia mais: