pt

Rugby vs American Football

Seguir 1
Compartilhar
Adicionar tópico
Procurar
AirGuitarDale
AirGuitarDale | 13-04-2005 21:52
Ok first off, I know more or less nothing about American football (I live in the UK).

But which sport do you think is "tougher"? American football may look bad but they wear so much padding! And the have bloody helmets! And I also think rugby is a better game because it has less pauses in play. And I like rugby because I'm Welsh.

Let's have some opinions of some American peeps!
1 até 25 de 539 comentários
página 1 de 22
SteelersFan77
SteelersFan77 | 13-04-2005 22:26
You have your opinions, and that's fine, but seriously c'mon now you live in the UK of course you think Rugby is tougher, but as an American I am going American Football is tougher, because the pads don't make up for the fact that more people still get seriously injured in American Football...In Ammerican Football someone's career is ended daily, and just last week in the Arena Football League a guy was killed, because went for a tackle, and shattered his backbone in 4 places, and I'm not saying that is good, I am just proving that American Football the contact is dangerous, and people can be killed, besides there arenn't that many hard tackles in Rugby...
danastasia
danastasia | 13-04-2005 22:27
There also aren't as many rugby players as there are American Football players, to begin with the UK is much smaller and rugby isn't the primary sport here.

And rugby is tougher, you're not padded lol...!
lillyella
lillyella | 13-04-2005 22:31
Rugby is tougher! In american football the ref blows the whistle every 5 seconds!(im not exaggerating) Rugby players play for much longer! RUGBY !!!!!
lime_109
lime_109 | 14-04-2005 03:36
Wow, I actually just got back from a rugby game! We won! Yey!! I definatly got cleated across the back in a ruck, but hey...
I live in Canada- so I guess I could be considered neutral for the patriotism thing or whatever. Both sports are big in our area. So anyways- this is what I have to say: Rugby makes football look like a tupperware party!
In rugby, you can just keep driving it and driving it- play dirty if you want. If the ref doesn't see it, it's not illegal. Football- you stop every 5 seconds so you don't get a chance to do anything. You run for 5 yards, get the whistle blown, stand around for a while, start playing again, maybe kick it, and then repeat. It's useless. SteelersFan77- just because you get injured a lot doesn't mean it's a tougher sport. Maybe it means you're a weaker player...? And it isn't a statistical fact or whatever that you have more injuries in football anyways... There is a difference between being hurt and being injured- hurt is getting a boo-boo, injured is dislocating your shoulder while driving somebody twice you size into the ground. Truely, I honestly believe there is a lot more contact in rugby than in football. Harder hits too.
partybrat
partybrat | 16-04-2005 03:43
i saw a painting the other day by the singh twins in the walker and this reminded me of it. Its of two elephants made up of people - a grey elephant made up of american football players all padded out, and a black one made up of a rugby team with no protective gear.

In the painting the American team is losing ground to the rugby team to symbolise how 'american football has been derided as the less macho version of rugby in the traditional rivalry that has existed between the two sports'

just thought u might be interested to hear that, and heres a link where u can see the painting if you like
justsomegirl
justsomegirl | 24-04-2005 00:26
RE: besides there arenn't that many hard tackles in Rugby...

http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=142202

check it out yo. ouch. i love this game.
justsomegirl
justsomegirl | 24-04-2005 00:35
also i just wanna say, i have great respect for football players. they are real athletes, i wont begrudge them that.

but since i started playing rugby i can't watch a football game without being being surprised at how much the play stops. dear lord. they STOP after getting tackled or catching the ball. i keep wanting to say, what are you doing? you arent done! oh good job, you connected and caught the ball, lets stop and set up again. no- in rugby you better BE there when someone goes down cuz someone else is gonna pick the ball off the ground or else you freakin pass off again. a players hurt? the game just keeps right on going. step over them, we'll deal with it when the play stops a few minutes later. also id like to point out that there's none of that tiptoeing in the side of the goal to score. in rugby, you gotta in in control of the ball enough to touch it DOWN with both hands in order for the score to count. it doesnt matter if you're across the line, if you don't do that, it don't count baby.
justsomegirl
justsomegirl | 24-04-2005 00:52
http://www.gerv.org/NFLsGreatestHits.mpg

ok so looking around, i also found a video of football guys getting slammed which is pretty intense. but i think the rugby video i put up above gives it a run for its money.

i just couldnt believe that guy that said rugby players didnt hit hard, yeesh.

also id like to point out that in the football video theres a guy that gets pulled down by his facemask...of course two seconds later the ref is blowing his whistle and giving that guy a penalty. in rugby, there are so many dirty players its like its their job. no one cares how the tackling gets done. play doesnt stop and there aren't penalties for high tackles, eye guaging, etc. (of course, if the ref sees you do it enough, they'll say somehting like now now, none of that, lets keep our tackles low) but lets remember theres only ONE ref in rugby and if he doesnt see it, its like it never happened. there arent like six refs and there are not re-plays either.
lime_109
lime_109 | 24-04-2005 22:59
Nicely put, justsomegirl!

Our team has a saying: "You're on the ground, you ARE the ground!"

Or another personal favourite: "Trample the weak, hurdle the dead!"
ForeignKid
ForeignKid | 08-05-2005 18:00
Well I live in Europe and I love watching the game of rugby but I dont play it.. I play American football and it's so fun and it's real painful too. I have bruses all over my legs and arms from american football.. But I do agree that Rugby is a tougher sport but american football is funner
sellittome
sellittome | 01-06-2005 18:50
I'm from the UK and I watch both.
For fast pace and a game to finish within 24 hours watch rugby.
Rugby League will have to be the king though.

Come on you Bronco's(London).

groovygirl_no1
groovygirl_no1 | 01-06-2005 18:55
oh come on american footie has padding,
wimps!!!!!
1HECKofaguy
1HECKofaguy | 04-06-2005 03:29
rugby...
Devils_Spawn
Devils_Spawn | 04-06-2005 03:41
Football is better because it is safer.
lime_109
lime_109 | 08-06-2005 04:37
Sorry, but 'safer' does not equal 'better'
mob5ta
mob5ta | 08-06-2005 04:41
Rugby
TheOCrocks
TheOCrocks | 16-06-2005 08:55
rugby dan cater is so HOT!!!!
loveisthenewh8
loveisthenewh8 | 16-06-2005 09:23
RUGBY better game and more tougher (nz vrs lions - GO NEW ZEALAND)
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 26-07-2005 04:22
haha i'm still laughing after one of the kids used the word "bloody" in one of the postes above lol..... ok Rugby isn't as hard hitting as AF, if one of the guys hits the other guy as hard as he can, he hurts himself just as much, lets not forget newtons law u "bloody" kid. I think people compare american footbal and rugby 2much, they arn't htat alike, other than contact and using a football. Football is not only a much better sport, but also a much more entertaining sport. Don't base ur views on football from the "european leauge" where Rohan davey can lead a team to a championship, he blows so much, i'm pretty sure hes 3rd string for the NE patriots, and had a horrible Pre-season outing. I no this b/c i am from New England
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 26-07-2005 04:25
Don't say its a puss sport cuz they wear pads, i would rather get hit by any rugby player in the world, than get hit by a football player, for example Ray Lewis. Rugby can't even appeal to video games, as football can ex: Madden and etc..
glow_child_glow
glow_child_glow | 26-07-2005 04:33
umm Rugby..they tackle just as hard, more often with no paddings, and its usually 3-4 man tackles
glow_child_glow
glow_child_glow | 26-07-2005 04:35
you ever herd of Rugby 2005? theres been Rugby video games for years
FireWaterBurn
FireWaterBurn | 26-07-2005 10:13
I just made a 10 minute post, only to have my computer crash and take my post way...

anyways, it is American Football..

Joe Theisman ring a bell?
Tyrannical_King
Tyrannical_King | 26-07-2005 10:16
I've had that happen to me. I think it's funny that you have to dive into the endzone to score in Rugby. Rugby certainly looks a lot more free from and looks like you are given free reign over the matter of plays and whatnot. I played a year of football in high school. Felt like Russian Line Dancing.
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 27-07-2005 03:45
the kid who mentioned rugby 2005 , u no wat i think thats the problem i've never heard of it, i bet its out their but i havn't heard of it. And they don't hit as hard buddy i've watched enough rugby games and football gmaes to c.
convidado
convidado
SAIR SALVE salvando ...
Leia mais: