LetsSingIt internett tekster database
no
Følg 0
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
danastasia
danastasia | 24-08-2004 16:54
First of all, you can all chuckly at my quaint little English saying - something's got my goat.

No, I don't have a goat, it means it annoys me. Anyway...

Paula Radcliffe, Britain's "shining jewel" in the Olympic Games is our long distance runner, who holds many world records.

In this years Olympic Marathon, she pulled out with 3 miles to go, after dropping from 3rd to 4th place.

Her excuse? She doesn't have one. If she was physically injured, fine. But, if she was just too upset because she wouldn't win a medal, I think that is disgusting. What sort of image does it give to young sportsmen and women? If you're not going to win, quit.

What makes me so annoyed about this is the way the English press are calling her a "hero". Yes, if she crawled to the end of the race, or even stopped for 30mins but walked the rest then she would be as high up in my esteem as possible. But, she bottled it.

Thoughts please
26 till 38 av 38 kommentarer
side 2 av 2
DannyB
DannyB | 24-08-2004 17:42
i dont knw the women.. & i cnt be bothered to find out..
king_gorack
king_gorack | 25-08-2004 17:48
Just because she hasn't said anything doesn't mean nothing was wrong. She had to be put on a drip after she stopped so it wasn't just giving up as she wouldn't get a medal.

You said she is letting down her fans by not finishing. Proper fans would accept that if she stopped she had to stop. Why (in Britain at least) do people put such pressure on sportspeople. Do well one day and they are great, don't win the next and they are useless?
danastasia
danastasia | 25-08-2004 17:49
Put on a drip? Where did you hear that?

And I'm not putting pressure on her, I just think the decent thing to do would be to finish the race.
purple_hippo
purple_hippo | 25-08-2004 17:50
Put on a drip? Where did you hear that?

I heard that too, i think it was on the news or something.
danastasia
danastasia | 25-08-2004 17:54
Give me a link and I'll believe ya
danastasia
danastasia | 25-08-2004 17:55
Get me a link and I'll believe ya
icefyre
icefyre | 25-08-2004 17:56
disgusting? a little harsh i think, and i don't even like her!
purple_hippo
purple_hippo | 25-08-2004 17:56
linkyness

Note the: put on a saline drip
danastasia
danastasia | 25-08-2004 17:58
All a saline drip does is rehydrate the body - which wouldn't have been necessary if Paula hadn't been so unprepared for the race.

She warmed up in an ice-jacket for a marathon in blistering heat, something's wrong there...
purple_hippo
purple_hippo | 25-08-2004 18:14
OK my original point was just that you were being very harsh.. i think i've made that point, or at least i've had a good attempt at making it.

Maybe she didn't prepare as well as she should have, but- everyone makes mistakes. It was a pretty big mistake to make, but she will have learnt from it.

I think people should think more of her past sucesses, rather than just focusing on this one race that she didn't do so well in.

I'm going to stop arguing now cos there is no way in hell i'm going to get the last word on this lol, and i think i've made my opinions and my point clear enough.
king_gorack
king_gorack | 25-08-2004 18:15
Why? I would say that cooling the body down as much as possible at the start is a good idea if you are going to be running in 33C+ heat. Thats only a guess of mine but I would say the WORLD RECORD holder will know know more about running marathons than me.

I'm sure she would know what is needed seeing as she has been running for many years. She did prepare, just because she didn't finish didn't mean she wasn't prepared.

I would have stopped if I was in her position. Why push yourself on when really dehydrated/ suffering fro heat exhaustion (or whatever) which could/would cause further injury for no reward? She is the fastest marathon runner ever so she has nothing to prove to anyone excpet herself.
danastasia
danastasia | 25-08-2004 18:17
I would say that cooling the body down as much as possible at the start is a good idea if you are going to be running in 33C+ heat.

Nope, the body needs to acclimatise to the surroundings and her circulation bladayada will all fit in...

I don't think I'm being harsh. Paula Radcliffe, like you said, is the World Record holder for marathons. She quits a marathon that ALL THE OTHERS finish. Then she gets treated as a HERO in England?

king_gorack
king_gorack | 25-08-2004 18:22
What would have been achieved if she had pushed herself too far just to finish? She would be just as medal-less ans possible in a much worse physical state. She is regarded by some as a hero becasue of what she has achived in her whole career.
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: