no

Snap is just becoming an annoyance now

Følg 4
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 17-08-2017 16:37
I've been having these frustrations for many months now, and after dealing with this in silence, I think it's finally time to voice them in hopes of a fix. Perhaps others can relate here.

Snap hardly seems to be doing any good nowadays; it's almost as if the bad it does outweighs the good. All it seems to do anymore is just add duplicate songs relentlessly despite constant deletions. Every time I get "content updated of your artists" PMs, almost all of it is usually just Snap adding duplicate/misattributed songs, which makes for a lot of time spent deleting duplicates. I was okay with doing this for a while because it didn't take long (usually; sometimes Snap adds tons of dupes at once though), but today it sent me to the boiling point upon realizing that, after taking a day to clean up Smokey Robinson's page back in June, Snap just went ahead and re-added nearly 100 dupes, meaning that I have to delete everything again.

I'm noticing trends with Snap, too. It tends to add songs to solo artists' pages that actually belong to bands they were in. Take for instance, the previous example of Smokey Robinson, Snap mass-added a bunch of songs by his band, The Miracles, when they shouldn't be on his solo page as he has a solo career of his own. Similarly, on Paul McCartney's page, I must have had to delete songs that were actually by his band Wings at least 10 times. Another trend is that it adds featured artists that, 9 times out of 10, shouldn't even be there. Sometimes these are members of the band that don't actually have a featured credit on the song (and shouldn't), other times it's a completely unrelated artist who has nothing to do with the song.

So how would this be fixed? I have a few things in mind. I personally think that Snap should take notice when songs are consistently deleted and cease to continue re-adding them after a certain amount of deletions. That way, us artist moderators can stop getting all of this clutter on the artists we moderate and can get them back to a neat state. I also think it would be best if Snap just stopped adding featured artists altogether. Perhaps this is a more controversial idea, but from what I've seen, Snap hardly adds correct featured artists, and they've really become more of a nuisance than anything at this point.

I really want the best for LSI, but after seeing how messy some artist pages have become after Snap's invasion on them, it seriously makes me flustered. Ray, I really hope you understand where I'm coming from.
1 till 25 av 40 kommentarer
side 1 av 2
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 17-08-2017 16:44
Give him some cards and ban him.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 17-08-2017 20:21
Suggestion : (caveat: I'm not completely understanding the programming criteria behind Snap's operation)

It might be possible to program Snap so that if it is told "not" once by Nicolas, etc. not to include a specific item where it was added in error that particular item then goes to an "exclusion" list. (I am busy doing that with some AV programs I have that suddenly conflict with each others programming, and browsers have lists of such "exclusions" for web sites either not to open or they are ok to open----might not be the Browser but my Norton program actually doing that behind the scenes).
Also the "exclusion" list would be visible to moderators or just all the contributors, so anyone who in error sends something there can un-do that easily.
Sounds now like a lot of programming. But if "Snap" is someone's third party program they may have help there and can fix this up for Ray. If Snap is 100% a LSI creation, then it might take a while for such a request to be programmed into Snap.

But if it helps in allowing snap to be wide ranging web-crawling creature that he is, gulping down and sending to LSI all manner of song lyrics it finds (and YT's too), then it might be a helpful addition and solve your frustration Nicholas.

Thanks Nicolas, for giving me a look behind the process of what is going on so I can at least offer a suggestion. I'm sure Ray has thought of this too, but listing it here might get some responses from the others who regularly contribute and do the fantastic job of keeping all of the music listings on this site clean and working to voice an opinion.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 17-08-2017 22:01
Same case with Nancy Wilson! The former's songs were added to the latter Nancy Wilson and I had to delete some 40 of them.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 18-08-2017 04:40
Same with the stuff on Roxette and other artists. Snap added again things I deleted and switch the YT videos. We should be able to put a block on his stuff. Or if it has to go back in the queues for us to approve, that might be better.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-08-2017 14:06
As great as that idea is, I know Ray will remind us that "the days of items being stuck in the queue are over"

I really do think Snap's items should at least be reviewed by someone, though, instead of just automatically being posted. That's another alternative.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-08-2017 17:35
Nothing much to add for now other than I agree with what a problem it (Snap) is and clearly things need to change.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 18-08-2017 18:16
Snap's items should at least be reviewed by someone, though, instead of just automatically being posted. That's another alternative

Thanks for a good suggestion Nicolas, but I seem to recall that some here were complaining about the amount of review items in their "inbox" that they have to do. We have no idea how many items are automatically posted by Snap across the site every day. You wouldn't want to have to go over 10,000, or 100,000 new or changed potential postings every day to approve them before Snap does it, correct?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-08-2017 18:19
Whatever the number of items, having them reviewed by somebody - anybody - would beat having them automatically added to LSI with no approval. Since bots are so prone to error, perhaps we should give it special treatment and have everything it submits be approved first. If the artist moderators don't have time for it, then it can be sent to the public review - but if people are really complaining about the number of items in their moderator queue, then maybe they should just moderate less artists to fit their schedule

Probably a daunting task for Ray, but just throwing ideas out there. I'm glad other people are relating to this issue, though. Just waiting to see what Ray has in mind now...
roxcyn
roxcyn | 18-08-2017 21:36
Or how about if it's old items (not items from the charts), it goes into the queue for people to review? That way, there won't be too many items being submitted.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-08-2017 21:40
I'm sure it would still be a lot. The point of the matter is, the quantity of Snap's items isn't what's important in this situation, but the quality of them. Having hundreds of items reviewed by actual humans (taking their time with it, of course) would beat hundreds of auto-additions by a bot any day.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 19-08-2017 16:44
Let me know what items we can help you delete. Snap added some dubious items to Danielle Brisboise, too. He's very, very naughty lately. I think Jeff's idea about carding is a great idea,
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 19-08-2017 17:16
There's too many to even speak of, I don't want to burden you folks. Besides, I've deleted most of the dupes on my artists already. At this point, I'm just waiting for Ray to post here, but still nothing on that front yet.

The good thing is, Snap takes a breather every now and then, so the deletions aren't really a daily nuisance (it's been probably close to a week since the last additions on my artists).
Ray
Ray | 23-08-2017 11:29
To begin with the last scentence: "I really hope you understand where I'm coming from". Yes I do.

Let me first give you an idea what is going on here, then we all know what we're talking about. From our license provider I have a database of lyrics that I would like to add to the database of LetsSingIt. Not only because it's added value, but also to be able to list the copyright and writer information, which is required.

I added an artist & song matcher which takes care of automatically processing this LyricFind database. This processor is not bullet proove for two reasons. First of all the LyricFind database is not 100% correct itself. The processor doesn't make mistakes with matching artists. If songs are added under the incorrect artists, that means they are already incorrect in the LyricFind database.

Secondly, within an artist songs may be added as duplicate because song title matching is never 100% bullet proove. I think the title matcher is 99% accurate. That means 1% is off. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but LetsSingIt is about big numbers, so apply 1% on a database of one million songs and we get 10,000 songs that could end up added as duplicate.

So that's the story. Lately the processor has been very active, but I put it on hold because of the issue you mentioned. It's time to think about a better way to proceed.

Back in the days songs were added to the review corner. But I think there are not enough hands in the review corner to process this amount of items.

Also note that items are not "re"-added. So if you delete a song that is duplicate, it's not added again. The system "remembers". If you do see it again, it's because it's a different item in the LyricFind database. Yes, also LyricFind has duplicates.

I'm currently working on a different project that fully needs my attention. I'll pick this on up later, this processor is also a monster project. But as I mentioned, the processor is down, so for the moment we're good

Thanks for bringing this up. And thanks for thinking along. Much appreciated!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 23-08-2017 21:07
I did figure it was coming from LyricFind. Thanks for weighing in, and I hope this is something you can get working on soon. I'm glad to hear the processor is on hiatus for the moment so I can catch up on deletions without new dupes instantly coming in.

To respond to where you said "items are not re-added", this is definitely not true; like I said in the OP, I can vouch that duplicate songs have been added several times over. Perhaps LyricFind just has multiple duplicates under the exact same name? That may be the case, and they get continuously re-added because of that.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 26-08-2017 05:22
We definetly need a contact person from LyricFind. They add wrong songwriter info and duplicate songs to our database.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 27-08-2017 00:19
Wait, what did I see recently? Oh yes, songs with (songwriter) feat. (artist). I have removed a duplicate for the song "For You" by Bob Sinclar - credited as Martin Solveig feat. Bob. Yes, Martin did write the song, but did not perform it himself. It does not appear on any of the songwriter's albums, only on Bob's Western Dream.
robinsvy
robinsvy | 03-09-2017 07:41
Hi all! I wish that when I get an artist completely settled and up-to-date I could signal Snap that no additional help needed here while I am moderator or for 3 months or some such
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 19-09-2017 09:42
Whoever put (1), (2) and (3) after artists names should come into my desk.

Because I'm lost for the artist Passion.
Ray
Ray | 19-09-2017 09:47
Interesting I see on Wikipedia there is a band and a rapper with this name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passion_(band)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passion_(rapper)
roxcyn
roxcyn | 14-12-2017 22:15
Sorry I am bumping this thread. Snap is becoming very annoying. Song files that I know, for a fact, had the RIGHT YT videos are being deleted randomly by Snap OR he's choosing to replace the right videos with a wrong one. I hope we can train Snap NOT to change a partial song's video. Thank you!
robinsvy
robinsvy | 13-04-2018 05:53
I am loving the new videos updates - it saves a great deal of time and effort.

Howeverrrrr, now I have been having difficulties with 1 in every 25 or so videos - I will successfully be entering videos with ease but there is always ONE that no matter how many times I choose a video it refuses to SAVE it. I periodically go back to check and these will not behave:
Calum Scott - Won't Let You Down
Paty Cantú and Bea Miller - War (En Vivo)
Boyce Avenue - Better Days
roxcyn
roxcyn | 13-04-2018 10:24
I tried the first one three times and it doesn't work. Ugh.
Ray
Ray | 13-04-2018 10:45
I have an update in place that fixes the last "not saving" bug.

Note that for new bugs it's better to create a new topic, so that nothing accitentally goes under the radar.
robinsvy
robinsvy | 15-04-2018 05:00
Understood - new topic and under Support.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 09-03-2022 17:19
I hope it's okay to use this thread. The last few days I'm getting notifications that Snap updated all the artists. I can't tell what Snap did. Hopefully nothing nefarious there buddy, Snap. I know you're a teen, but don't go crazy on us.
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: