Remove this artist please

Følg 8
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
Ray
Ray | 21-01-2016 14:09
Remove an artist

Found an artist that needs to be removed? You can do that here. Of course, be 100% sure the artist needs to be removed. Check Wikipedia or Google or any other resources. Include this info in you post, that is very helpful for the reviewers!

So, when do we remove artists?

1. Duplicate

We do not want duplicate artists. The may be variations with incorrect spellings. These maps need to be deleted. But before doing that, we need to transfer the content from the misspelled artist to the artist with the correct spelling (see instructions how to do that below).

2. Incorrect "type"

Names have an "artist" type or "movie/TV show/compilation/...". If the artist is actually a movie, it needs to be deleted and recreated as a movie. Note that flipping the type between artist and movie types is not possible.

3. Non-existing

Artists that do not exist (fake) obviously need to be removed.

When not to remove an artist

1. The artist is misspelled

If the artist is misspelled and an artist with the correct spelling does not already exists, then simply request a name change in the Rename This Artist Please topic.

2. The artist changed their name

It's not uncommon that artists change their names. On LSI we add this new name as new map and link the old name to this new map. No deleting of any artists is involved here. For artist name changes you can use the New Way Of Dealing With Artist Name Changes.

How to submit a removal request in this topic

1. mention the artist name that needs to be removed
2. link the name to its map using the LSI artist-tag
3. mention the reason for removal
4. if content of the artist needs to be transferred to another map (for example to the artist with the correct spelling that is also listed on LSI) add+ link this artist name.

*text updated 24-09-2020 by Ray*
176 till 199 av 199 kommentarer
side 8 av 8
music_junkie
music_junkie | 20-07-2020 18:20
I'm not sure if this worked correctly or not...

30 seconds to mars vs
THIRTY seconds to mars

as you prob saw, last night i moved the couple few songs & merged from THIRTY to 30. i just now tried to remove the THIRTY artist and got this error

The page 'https://www.letssingit.com/artist-vtplv' you requested cannot be found. Maybe the page has been removed or the link you followed is broken.
Why not try the following:
Check the address you used for any mistakes and try again
Enter a term into our search field to find what you're looking for
Use the site's navigation bar to find something even more amazing than what you were originally looking for

but then i went back and did the artist search again after getting the error. it still shows 2 results, but the artist name THIRTY is now blank with just a blank image placeholder on that row. no URL there from what i can tell.

what i think really needs to happen is add THIRTY as an AKA or somehow link/redirect to the correct 30STM artist... i know this can be done when creating a NEW artist, but i looked at EDIT ARTIST and see no way to add the aka...

does something else need to be done?? did i actually delete the erroneous name form LSI?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-07-2020 18:50
It's fine, Tammy. It looks like it worked correctly. "Blank" search results will appear in the LSI search for a short time after something is deleted, but they eventually go away. I believe it's related to the cache needing some extra time to be cleared.

As for artist aliases, whether it be "searchable aliases" or "also known as aliases", only Ray can add those. Consult this thread for requesting searchable aliases or this thread for also known as aliases. In this case the AKA alias may be the better option since the band is commonly known under both stylizations.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 20-07-2020 18:54
Great! thanks for the confirmation/education Nicolas

oooo i dislike error messages.. LOL
roxcyn
roxcyn | 23-07-2020 12:56
It all looks good, mj!
music_junkie
music_junkie | 23-07-2020 22:23
just a reminder here in case we forget...

need to remove duplicate artist The Goo Goo Dolls. correct artist GOO GOO DOLLS exists.

theres 1 song to be removed once its pushed through pub review q - thanks againn Rox for finding the duplicate
roxcyn
roxcyn | 28-07-2020 08:05
Thanks MJ! I did have a question about that one. They go by their name (without "the") on a lot of the sites. However, on Spotify they have "The" Goo Goo Dolls.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 28-07-2020 16:29
yeah i dont think it's very clear, bc even when you see wiku it looks confusing.. but Google labels them without THE, and if you read it correctly, their Wikipedia page only bold fonts their name without THE also

i dont think it's a big deal really, as long as we don't have duplicate artists on LSI.. haha
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 28-07-2020 18:06
Goo Goo Dolls is their official name. They're one of those pluralized bands that people instinctively put a "The" before even though it's not part of the "official" name (Eagles, Pretenders, Descendents, the list goes on...)

Their Facebook, YouTube channel, Instagram and official site all use Goo Goo Dolls.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 28-07-2020 18:14
On some of their albums it has the "The", on other albums it doesn't.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 01-08-2020 07:48
Should we add it as an alias if they put it on their albums? Also, Spotify indicates it was them (the musical group) who created the information on the page so they chose "The" but on other websites as I and Nicolas said are without "the". Very confusing.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 01-08-2020 15:40
I don't think it matters, since search results will bring them up either way, and users are more likely to search without "the" as well. Aliases are usually reserved for completely different names.

I just looked and it seems like they only used "The Goo Goo Dolls" on their album covers for a stretch of 4 albums: Dizzy Up the Girl, Gutterflower, Let Love In and Greatest Hits Volume One: The Singles. Everything before and after those releases uses just "Goo Goo Dolls".
music_junkie
music_junkie | 01-08-2020 18:37
and they will come up in the lsi search either way
roxcyn
roxcyn | 01-08-2020 21:59
Nice, thank you.
Revan1st
Revan1st | 16-03-2021 01:02
Amalee and Amanda Lee is the same.
She uses AmaLee on Spottify and LeeandLie on Youtube.
So the question lies in which one should I use?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 16-03-2021 02:48
Amalee and Amanda Lee is the same.
She uses AmaLee on Spottify and LeeandLie on Youtube.
So the question lies in which one should I use?

I would say AmaLee would be the correct option in that scenario seeing as she uses that name on streaming services and on social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook). We generally follow streaming service naming conventions, and if it's the name she uses to release music then I would go with that.

I just renamed the artist map (I don't think Amanda Lee needs to be an artist alias in this case since she doesn't release music under that name)
Revan1st
Revan1st | 16-03-2021 14:09
Dde is actually D.D.E
Someone fucked up somewhere......
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 16-03-2021 17:53
Dde is actually D.D.E
Someone f*cked up somewhere......

Fixed, and in the future please post artist rename requests in this topic instead.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 17-03-2021 01:40
nice catch on that Amalee/amanda lee thing..
Revan1st
Revan1st | 17-03-2021 14:32
Will do MCSMeister.
Thanks Music_junkie. It was really easy when I became moderator for Amalee and Amanda Lee had the songs I was going to add.
ATESGUNES
ATESGUNES | 25-04-2021 10:15
Hello dear moderators
This time I found an artist duplicated. Can you remove her?

Zerryn Ozer

Thanks.
robinsvy
robinsvy | 10-06-2021 19:11
Emeline (wrong)
Emeline [US] (right)
the new/wrong one was added in error (Snap?) last week when Emeline released her most recent song.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-06-2021 19:28
Emeline (wrong)
Emeline [US] (right)
the new/wrong one was added in error (Snap?) last week when Emeline released her most recent song.

Just took care of that, but also renamed the correct map to just Emeline. If there's no other Emeline in the database, there's no need for a country code in her name.
music_junkie
music_junkie | 29-11-2022 01:16
i think we should merge a duplicate artist, unless someone can support them being separate...

Manfred Mann
&
Manfred Mann's Earth Band
both seem to have established indexes, but i think its an AKA situation?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 29-11-2022 02:00
i think we should merge a duplicate artist, unless someone can support them being separate...

Manfred Mann
&
both seem to have established indexes, but i think its an AKA situation?

Wikipedia considers them separate bands, and they should indeed stay separate. See here:

Manfred Mann

Those pages provide sufficient information on the formation of both bands. See the opening sentence in the Formation paragraph on the Earth Band's page:

Keyboardist Manfred Mann started in the 1960s with the self-titled band that had such hits as "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and Bob Dylan's "The Mighty Quinn" and then moved on to jazz fusion-inspired Manfred Mann Chapter Three before forming the Earth Band in 1971.

The Aftermath section on Manfred Mann's page makes it definitively clear:

From 1972 onward 'Manfred Mann's Earth Band' was the band name used on all releases by this group, and they are considered a separate band from Manfred Mann.
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: