no

Opinions on the term "World Champions"

Følg 0
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 23-11-2008 14:47
What is your opinion on American leagues like the MLB (baseball), NHL (hockey), and NBA (basketball) calling their champions "World Champions"?

Do you agree that American leagues are superior and that the players are the best athletes the world has to offer?

Any other things to back up your thoughts?
26 till 39 av 39 kommentarer
side 2 av 2
Execujetv12
Execujetv12 | 10-02-2010 21:09
Sorry mate, I do not accept your 'common sense' as a valid source. But I will follow your step and use 'common sense' and look at the argument this way: If, for example Brown University were to scout the BEST basketball players from the top high schools in the country, and let's say that Brown University, with the BEST players in the country, were to win their 'state league' championship, and afterwards, Brown University were to conclude, "why should we play nationally if we have the best players in the country? I think we should not bother play nationally and stick to our state championship and label ourselves National Champions!! After all, we do have the BEST in the Nation!! Screw the rest! We are National Champions because we have the Nations best players!!" Can you for one second stop and clear your mind and just think for a minute how arrogant and ignorant that sounds? Apply that logic to your initial question and think about it.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 21:13
ive thought about it but a state title is different than a national one...

think about it... the best baseball players in the world play Major League Baseball. It's largely made up of non-Americans... and they all know that the best competition is here... same with basketball. The best league is the NBA. The best European players come here to play. You have to admit that the leagues in the USA are far, far superior to any other country when it comes to sports like baseball and basketball.
Execujetv12
Execujetv12 | 10-02-2010 21:29
I have never said they are not great, I also think they are great, however, you cannot label a team 'world champions' unless they have genuinely defeated other world nations, otherwise you are making the teams, and the country, appear arrogant. There has to be an official match, with an official result, otherwise the title is unofficial therefore meaningless. Many top football (soccer) players play in top European leagues such as 'Real Madrid', Machester United, and Sevilla FC, and yet when that team wins the UEFA they are not considered 'World Champions'. You have won the league championship. When Basketball creates its own 'World Cup' and that team wins that championship they can freely label themselves 'world champion' or they can keep waiting 4 years for the Olympics.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 21:35
but the olympics is just a national thing... tons of players from other countries play here to form the best leagues on earth (easily). And championships in these American League sports are more important than the Olympics.. Take the World Series VS the World Baseball Classic for example (if you follow baseball at all).

we can disagree on some things... but let me ask you this: Are leagues in America far superior to any other country on Earth? (Baseball, football, hockey, etc)
Execujetv12
Execujetv12 | 10-02-2010 21:49
"championships in these American League sports are more important than the Olympics.. " That is a very conceited thing to say (Don't forget that the things you say can taint the US image)..Olympic athletes (except for a few) are there to represent their national country rather than represent their bank account. The MLB lacks the spirit it used to have years ago, something the Olympics has so far been able to retain.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 21:53
so... do you think the leagues are superior or not?

Players train and work for the league championships... not for the olympics. It's where they make their money, it's where they make their endorsements. That's how it is. People take pride in representing their country, but they're really working towards a championship
Execujetv12
Execujetv12 | 10-02-2010 22:08
"so... do you think the leagues are superior or not? " I guess you are not reading my posts so why do I even bother? I answered that question before you even asked it. But you fail to see my point. Someone with quality thinking can understand my argument. My main idea is, having the 'world's best' does not automatically qualify you as 'World Champion' unless you have put yourself to the test by heading to the 'battlefield' to defeat your opponent and proudly earning your 'crown'." But I guess you are trying to say that American fans are over-egotistic about their teams and can careless about other potential athletes who can over-come self-proclaimed 'world's best' athletes and just rather not head to the battlefield and win the 'crown' fairly. Sorry to say it, but you are putting a bad name to American leagues.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 22:14
Why dont you answer again then? I don't see it... It's a simple Yes or No answer buddy

and no, i see your point, i just disagree. The "battlefield" to me is playing the entire season against others teams filled with the world's best players. My argument is simple: They are the best leagues (by a wide, wide margin), with the best players (Again, by a huge margin), so i think it's totally fine to call them world champions... because the team that wins the championship has defeated the best players in the world.

dont you agree the best players play in the USA and form the best leagues on Earth?
Dagor
Dagor | 10-02-2010 23:37
I am sure there is an Origami Worldchampionship as well .. held in Japan no doubt, with all the best competitors the world has to offer
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 23:45
Not really relevant, but it's possible
fishmunky
fishmunky | 10-02-2010 23:47
Curt is right in the Practical, lets say hypothetically the major sports in U.S (baseball, Basketball, football and hockey) embraced a champions league like soccer does in europe (though they don't let non european teams play, mostly because the european teams pillage the best players from africa, south america and asia, making those leagues weaker...wait im getting ahead of my point)

so lets take that hypothetical situation and have the La Lakers (the best team in the NBA by convention of winning a title last year) and have them play in a tournament with top teams from italy, argentina, israel, spain, china etc. and to be fair lets make it a 2 games series with point differentials to avoid "fluke" wins

is there anyone on this forum that would be willing to bet against the lakers?

and i'll take that same premise and move it across all major north american sports, why? because exposure, money and most importantly competition in those games is better in north america than anywhere else on the planet. It why russians learn a whole new language to play hockey in Canada or America, its why Tony Parker, Andrea Bargniani and Dirk Noxitski jumped to the nba at the first opportunity, its why hispanic kids immigrate to america and then lie about their ages to play on little league baseball, in order to get a chance to compete in the most profitable and fiercely contested leagues in the world

you dont have to like it, but thats reality. Olympics are not the same, there you play for national pride and no money, and the competition isnt the same, Slovakia will never truly be a hockey power house on the international stage, but explain why their national team is made up entirely of NHL players, because they want to play yearly where the best competition exists.

no one said you have to to like it, but the places that can afford to have the best players play for them usually have the best leagues to put them in
Joeyy
Joeyy | 10-02-2010 23:49
* offtopic :
Bet against them if they took up soccer?
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 10-02-2010 23:51
anthony basically said what i was trying to say, but in a much less dickish manner...

joey, are you talking about the lakers playing soccer? if so, please leave
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 19-06-2010 21:30
The LA Lakers are once again world champions! Amazing series against the other dominant basketball program of all-time. I knew it would go to game 7, i was pulling for boston. Kobe didn't even play well and they still won, the home court advantage was gigantic.

Now Phil Jackson, who has more championships than any other coach in any professional sport EVER in north america has a chance to 3-peat.... for the 4th time!! He did it twice with Jordan and the Bulls and now can do it twice with the Lakers. Phil Jackson is truly the greatest
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: