no

America: World Champions

Følg 0
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 14-11-2008 08:29
Since the Rugby Vs Football thread is hijacked (and plus it is obvious Football is better), I decided to make this thread..

What do you think? Should leagues like the NHL, NBA, MLB, etc be allowed to call their champions "World Champions"? Is it just America being arrogant?

What are your thoughts?

22 kommentarer
JDolla
JDolla | 14-11-2008 20:01
hell yeah its arrogant. only reaon they do it is for marketing though. people will pay more to see a "world champion" than they will to see a "league champion" or "national champion". so don't expect any ammount of bitching and whining to change it. its all simple economics.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 14-11-2008 20:10
My arguement has always been... These are the best leagues in the world, with the best players in the world (Not really arguable). So if they have 99% of the best players in the entire world, why not call them World Champions?

I also wonder if other countries' professional leagues get angry at this
JDolla
JDolla | 14-11-2008 20:13
i can promise you they do because theres no proof that we have the best athletes. in the top 5, yes we do. i dont know if you watched the olympics this year, but china out-golded us. they dont have better athletes by proportion but when you have more than a billion people you're bound to come up with some badass athletes
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 14-11-2008 20:19
I'm sure they do have some pretty decent athletes... But these leagues in America do have the greatest athletes in their sport worldwide... That's why all the best players come here to play from other countries... I think that seeing mediocre players here go and become stars in other countries is proof enough that these leagues are pretty superior to others.

And with the Olympics... First off, in sports like basketball we hardly send our best players, mainly because they don't want to play. And secondly, the best players on other countries' teams are usually playing in American leagues, which again shows how much better the leagues are here.
IsThisMyFate
IsThisMyFate | 15-11-2008 00:52
Well, I follow hockey the closest of any sport. All of the world's best hockey players play in the NHL. So I guess in a way, you could call the Stanley Cup Champions the "World Champions" of hockey. Although, there is also the Winter Olympic games, which obviously goes by country.

But, in order to be the "World Champion", the #1 team in each league should play each other, to find out who the "World Champion" really is.
Dagor
Dagor | 15-11-2008 02:17
I liked the 'Panpacific dance contest' in 'strictly ballroom'

"but she's a panpacific champion!"

you get the idea

(one of the most humourful films btw.)
PunkRckr8
PunkRckr8 | 15-11-2008 03:46
But these leagues in America do have the greatest athletes in their sport worldwide... That's why all the best players come here to play from other countries

HA, they come here for the money. The European and other world leagues are slowly starting to evolve their pay into a more enticing and solid set up, which is mostly what draws players there now.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 15-11-2008 08:59
A combo of money and greatness. You can get paid more to play basketball in Europe than in the USA.

So you're agreeing then that American leagues have the best players?
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 19-11-2008 14:01
Also Daniel, that movie looks absolutely terrible and very unfunny and I don't see how it relates to this thread.
Rise
Rise | 19-11-2008 15:44
To be fair, how many of those sports officially declare their victors to be "World Champions"? My (admittidly) very limited knowledge of US sports believes it to be the case in Baseball, but do Football and Hockey follow suit? I've always heard the NFL winners reffered to simply as the "Super Bowl Champions" for example, but that of course could be a result of Europeanised coverage.

I have to admit, I used to get wound up by such trvial things, in the same vein I nievely got wound up by the whole name-for-Football/Soccer argument. It does smack of arrogance to name what are essentially winners of a domestic system as gobal or world champions, but then I'll conceed the argument all too readily that those named leagues don't really have other susbstantial competition.

I'll ignore your 'best athletes' remark, as you've trotted it out before and as a generalisation Im sure you throw it out to get a rise as much as anything else, but it'd be fair to agree that in those mentioned sports, America probably has the best technicians of those disciplines - it really goes without saying when you conceed the point about them having the best domestic leagues.

I guess the counter argument would be that if anyone feels so aggrieved about an American team winning an American competition and claiming the title of World Champions, its for a non-American team from a non-American set up to step in and relieve them of the 'title'.
Dagor
Dagor | 19-11-2008 19:15
Some local australian hicks call their dance contest the 'Panpacific Grandprix'

I think the parallels are striking
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 22-11-2008 05:50
I don't see the parallels, just a terrible movie.

And I am not sure why Rise would ignore that the USA has the best athletes in sports like baseball, basketball, etc... I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone by saying that, I am just stating the obvious
Dagor
Dagor | 22-11-2008 11:31
yeah, apart from stating the obvious, it remains a fact that calling a local competition the 'world championship' is a sign of ignorant arrogance. I am sure that hicks who never saw much of the world like to believe that it ends where their sphere of awareness ends. They must be comforted to think that the few square miles that they can comprehend is the 'world'.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 22-11-2008 12:55
I don't know what those hicks think, maybe you're right.

I do know, however, that the movie looks extremely terrible and annoying, and that the United States has (by a landslide) the greatest basketball and baseball players, so it makes sense to call them World Champions considering it is head and shoulders above all other countries in terms of talent.
Dagor
Dagor | 22-11-2008 16:59
yeah, in hick logics that makes sense
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 23-11-2008 00:01
Wait...you're calling me a hick. Lol that's pretty funny.

But Daniel, you really know what you're talking about here. You might wanna find another thread more suitable to your interests. Maybe bearded men or maltesers or something. Lol, cause you have no clue whats goin on.
Dagor
Dagor | 23-11-2008 02:42
i was talking about hicks in general .. the ones that think that america is the world .. what i think is something else and not relevant here.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-11-2008 03:18
If in a year they've faced and beat every other country entered into the sport then it's fair to give them that title for that year. If not then they're not "World Champions". Maybe in their own and some Americans' eyes .

* offtopic :
I find it pathetic, rude and disrespectful when people talk to Daniel like that. I know nothing more should be expected from you, Curtis, but for pity's sake, you talk far more about how big your c*ck is and about getting drunk, high and laid (which is probably bullsh*t because I can't imagine how desperate someone must be to sleep with you) than Daniel talks about bearded men and Maltesers. People complain about members of this site rarely talking about music and Daniel's one of the only ones who often does.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 23-11-2008 11:46
I agree Daniel

* offtopic :
Joey, me having a huge penis and being great at sex has nothing to do with this topic. Nor does me enjoying smoking pot and occasionally consuming alcoholic beverages. I do not see anything I said particularly offensive or rude, especially considering I think Daniel would agree that American sports talk is not exactly his specialty or even really an interest of his.

Even if I did speak of my beautiful erection, getting laid, doing drugs, etc more than Daniel speaks of bearded men, maltesers, etc... Who cares? Why are you discussing it? I'm guessing Daniel will tell you that bearded men interest him more than USA sports. And I never said anything about Daniel not talking about music, so please, cram it.

Since it is unclear as to where your pent-up rage and aggression come from, I will attribute it to sexual frustration mixed with extreme annoyance and gender confusion. But seriously Joey, pull the granny panties out of your ass and shut up.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 23-11-2008 11:47
On topic here. Joey, who exactly would NBA and MLB teams play to give them the "rightful" distinction of World Champs?
Dagor
Dagor | 23-11-2008 11:59
I thought this thread was about the fact if americans are arrogant to call their competition 'world championship' so it is most certainly a point of interest to me. Ánd in my opinion it is not only arrogant, but mostly ignorant.

Shooting at people who don't disagree with you with personal attacks is pretty low and a sign for it that you don't really have good arguments to back up your point of view. Telling people to shut up is just roaring and might be effective if you want to impress a female lion. In a discussion it is just a sign of weakness. That is my opinion. Way to go ..

one more personal attack, offtopic or not and this thread is closed.
Bucephalus
Bucephalus | 23-11-2008 12:06
Oddly enough, I am on this board solely to impress a female lion or two.

And all my points are valid and have gone unchallenged in this thread and the rugby thread. Probably because the majority of people do not watch American sports. Or maybe people just know they're wrong. Whichever, the fact remains.

Funny thing is that I wasn't the one who started with "personal attacks." Even if I was, who cares? Oh no, he said "shut up" on a forum!!! The horror of it all.

If someone were to shoot at someone who didn't disagree...Wouldn't that person be on their side of the argument?
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: