no

Rugby vs American Football

Følg 1
Dele
Legg til emne
Søke
AirGuitarDale
AirGuitarDale | 13-04-2005 21:52
Ok first off, I know more or less nothing about American football (I live in the UK).

But which sport do you think is "tougher"? American football may look bad but they wear so much padding! And the have bloody helmets! And I also think rugby is a better game because it has less pauses in play. And I like rugby because I'm Welsh.

Let's have some opinions of some American peeps!
26 till 50 av 539 kommentarer
side 2 av 22
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 27-07-2005 03:47
Rugby vs football , football wins handsdown in all aspects.
-Most Entertaining
-More easily promoted and taken by the public
-Most watched/played
and much more
Chrisrocks53
Chrisrocks53 | 27-07-2005 04:05
If its really is the most played, why doesnt it have a world cup

Rugby has a world cup and it is very competitive. I gotta admit one thing, I like playing the Madden Video games but I just prefer Rugby (even though I am more of a Aussies Rules man)

Go you Wallabies
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 27-07-2005 04:15
well i take back most played i realized what i said after i submitted it, but european countries don't play it and no offence to poor countries but they seem to take to Soccer more b/c hey u only need a ball, where as in football u need eqipment and etc.... but no question has football been takin to the public better over a shorter period of time
NO_EXIT
NO_EXIT | 27-07-2005 04:17
I think people compare rugby w/ football to much...... Rugby like doens't stop where as in football its every down and etc. ( i don't really know the rugby rules)
lime_109
lime_109 | 01-08-2005 04:31
Rugby and football aren't really all that similar. I don't think it's that easy to sompare them. I myself play rugby- partly because I just find it more enjoyable, partly because girls joining the football team at my highschool is just unheard of. Doesn't faze anybody at all- I'm not going to get all feminist about it. I adore rugby, I don't need football! You have to be tough for both sports- I don't really think that one is tougher than the other- but I do think that you need a bit more stamina for rugby. You don't get to stop every 5 minutes to set up another play. You sometimes have to run an entire game straight, not counting half. I've played a game that had only three scrums and two lineouts- I don't see football players running for that long in one streak. They sure can go fast in sprints, though... My friend that plays football had his arms duct taped, wasn't wearing shoes, and couldn't see anything (loooong story) and he could outrun every single person that was chasing him (as I said, long story. Don't ask lol)
djskribble989
djskribble989 | 02-08-2005 04:43
i just bought the Rugby 2005 game by EA Sports and ive gotta say im quite impressed with the game of rugby itself, ive always been interested in it but never took time to actually look at a real game before. I really can't decide!
MisterKing
MisterKing | 02-08-2005 04:48
Lol, Rugby reminds me of Ross.
AK_Hitman
AK_Hitman | 03-08-2005 07:43
Seems like it would be a hard comparison. As a linebacker, I know lots of guys who played rugby and I'm in the US btw, and they all have a slight preference towards football. Now, being a humongous fan of football I still gotta give to those rugby guys. I think it comes down to the players because it's not the sports that are making those great hits.

PS: I've seen(and delivered) many more great hits in football than in rugby and my friend makes me watch rugby.
dudekrulz
dudekrulz | 03-08-2005 09:07
and watch the All Blacks own under the most innovative and professional coach of the era of professional rugby. (Graham Henry).
tj1969
tj1969 | 17-08-2005 22:16
Having played Football in High School in America and Rugby in College (in America too), I love both sports. As to which is tougher, that is an apples to oranges question. But I will say that Football has the most violent hits and most destructive collisions in ANY sport.

1. My reasoning comes from basic math/physics: F=MA - Force = Mass x Acceleration. In Football you have Linebackers (mid sized Football players) that are approx 6'4" weigh anywhere from 235 to 270 lbs (thats 106.8 to 122.7 Kilos) and run a 40 yard dash in 4.4 seconds ( 40 yards = about 37 to 38 meters). Rugby players on average are much smaller because they have to run longer and farther and for greater continuous periods of time than Football players. Linemen are taller (than Linebackers) and weigh over 350 lbs (160 kilos), bench press 400+ lbs (+182 kilos) Leg press more than 600 lbs (+272.7Kilos)... How many rugby players have that type of mass and ability to move other mass? Professional Football Players are inhuman!

2. Have any of you actually held an American Football helmet? If you have, you know how almost indestructable they are. I've seen a 350 lb lineman (that's 160 kilos) take his helmet and put all of his weight and strength (and he was EXTREMELY strong) into smashing that helmet into a brick wall. The helmet ws scratched, but that's it. Mike Singletary (Retired Linebacker of the Chicago Bears) used to break helmets (while wearing them) routinely in practice by tackling and hitting other players. The ammount of force needed to do that is not possible in a rugby game.

Which game is tougher? I couldn't answer that... however, if I had to choose between taking a hit from a professional rugby player without pads or a hit from a professional football player with pads, I'd choose taking the hit from the rugby player 10 out od 10 times. I like breathing without a respirator. My basic point with this statement is, while American Football Players are padded, it by no means greatly reduces the amount of force the body has to absorb. It just spreads out the force over a greater area of the body.

Thank you for this most intriguing discussion.

tj
MIAgurl
MIAgurl | 17-08-2005 22:30
I would go with American football
slim_gary
slim_gary | 17-08-2005 22:33
well obviously living in the uk im going to say rugby.... but you are wrong... okay you are not.... i think rugby is
slim_gary
slim_gary | 17-08-2005 22:34
oh and rugby also spawned groups of small children doing the johnny wilkinson stance.. you all know it... and that was kind of annoying seeing people playing football and doing it to take a penalty... football rules (and no, not american 'football' i mean proper football.. where you use your feet)
Squareheaddude
Squareheaddude | 17-08-2005 22:43
I like both sports

but i prefer Rugby! hooah!
Im_Nucking_Futs
Im_Nucking_Futs | 17-08-2005 22:44
Rugby
purple_hippo
purple_hippo | 17-08-2005 22:47
Rugby
lepper_messiah
lepper_messiah | 17-08-2005 22:49
I play rugby, and have to say it's fucking brutal when you get really into it.
American football looks really fun and I would like to try it some time.
xoparisxo617
xoparisxo617 | 17-08-2005 23:16
I don't really like either.....but if I had to pick, I would pick American Football.....
tj1969
tj1969 | 17-08-2005 23:24
FYI: another discussion like this one: http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=4244
OptimusPrime
OptimusPrime | 15-09-2005 21:19
Rugby, easily.
geladi
geladi | 24-09-2005 03:23
Im from Australia - So i would know one or two things about sport, since we rock at most of them. But listen to this...

I read this in the SMH a fews ago - A couple of years ago, this american football coach (dont know the name) wanted to make an american rugby league side that would conquer the world. So he signed up a squad of the best rising talent in the college football league (or whatever you call it) and sent them on a tour of Australia, under the supervision of wayne bennet (brisbane bronco's coach). The americans thought they would dominate, being americans, they thought their game was far superior even if the aussies were the best in the world. So the americans played a few jersey flegg teams in sydney (U/20's). They did not know what had hit them!! most of them came back to america themselves calling american football a pussy sport. They could not believe the athletism, strength, skill, stamina and agility that is reaquired to play such a sport.

Point proven....

Also - Whoever says american football is entertaining is bloody kidding themselves...

When there was an NFL game played here in sydney in 2001 between two NFL team (cant remember) but i think it was an exhibition game. They managed to 3/4 sell the seats at the olympic stadium (capacity 108,000). By half time half the crowd were chanting 'boring' and 'play a games sport back home you yanks!' and by 3rd quarter there were 18,000 people left in the stadium with everyone the next morning demanding they have their money refunded!!!

American football is a joke, just like baseball. Americans only play it cause they are the best at it, cause they are the only ones playing it. I mean you call your baseball final the 'world series' but you dont have any international teams playing??

American sports are a joke. Basketball is probably the only one worth fussing about.

Get a grip - rugby 2nd largest most competitve sport in the world, Rugby league the most toughest (sports illustrated) and guess what......its an international game!!!
FireWaterBurn
FireWaterBurn | 24-09-2005 04:16
Geladi - First off, it is calledf the World Series becaue America has the best baseball in the world. I dare you to find me a harder baseball league other than the MLB. Oh wait, not possible.

While comparing football and rugby, it appears as though rugby would be tougher on the surface. After all, no pads so it must be, right? Wrong. When you add pads, you are not only protecting yourself, you are getting hit by people wearing 15 extra pounds. You are getting helmet to helmet collisions. You do not realize how much a 300 pound man who runs a 4.6 hitting you with the crown of his helmet would hurt.
mob5ta
mob5ta | 24-09-2005 04:26
With or without padding the hits are harder in Rugby.
FireWaterBurn
FireWaterBurn | 24-09-2005 17:57
You're missing the point. The players are bigger in football, and they are wearing pads and running 4.6's on top of that.
mob5ta
mob5ta | 24-09-2005 22:56
No, have you any idea how much say a team like the Lions pack weighs? Not only are they big but they can run faster because unlike AF they are not just there to tackle. Also they run longer distances not a few yards. I can't remember which newtons law it is but that makes for a tougher game. And another thing, these big guys don't get rests every 2 minutes like AF
gjest
gjest
SPRETTE UT LAGRE sparer ...
Les mer: