nl

Ongoing issues with uploading images to the site

Volgen 2
Delen
Topic toevoegen
Zoeken
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 17-01-2022 20:29
This has been an ongoing issue for a long time now, probably at least a year at this point, but I never made a thread about it because it seemed like a complex error, and I always had a workaround for it that worked without fail. But after putting it off, I think it's finally time to address it.

Basically, I've run into constant problems with uploading artist images to the site, and it will often give error messages or just refuse to upload image links that are perfectly valid. It seems completely arbitrary which ones will or won't work. Because of this, I've often found myself re-hosting images on Imgur, which has been a safe hosting site for reuploading since I haven't had a single issue with uploading Imgur links on LSI to date.

To best illustrate this, and to hopefully give Ray some valuable info, I collected ten artist image links that won't upload, and noted the specific error I ran into with each link. Each link had one of three different errors - "no picture was found", "file type not recognized", or the system just gives me an infinite loading symbol and nothing happens, so I have to refresh. While the errors listed below are mostly "file type not recognized", I've ran into all three errors regularly, and I have a feeling there's a common issue that causes all of them.

Link 1 ("no picture was found" - I notice this error almost always happens with links like this that don't end in a file extension, like png, jpg, etc.)
Link 2 ("file type not recognized")
Link 3 ("file type not recognized")
Link 4 ("file type not recognized")
Link 5 ("file type not recognized")
Link 6 ("file type not recognized")
Link 7 ("file type not recognized")
Link 8 (infinite loading symbol)
Link 9 (infinite loading symbol)
Link 10 (infinite loading symbol)

And as an aside: Facebook or Discogs image links (samples here and here, respectively), have a 100% fail rate in my experience. Usually those result in the "no picture was found" error.
15 reacties
Ray
Ray | 18-01-2022 15:36
Thanks for reporting the issue. And thumbs up for the problem description with good examples . I went throught each of them. I was able to fix a couple and there are some that I can't fix:

Unable to fix: "no picture was found". The url is considered invalid because of some uncommon used characters like "$" or "(". Perhaps there is a way to fix this, but I have to put this one on the list.
Link 1
link
link

Fixed: "file type not recognized"
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5
Link 6

Unable to fix: "file type not recognized". This .jpg is actually a .riff file. The LSI system can't read this format.
Link 7

Unable to fix: "infinite loading symbol". (Though, I fixed the infinite loading symbol. It's something )
Link 8
Link 9
Link 10

But! There is a new content management system coming soon. This system includes a new method for uploading pictures. I tested the above links in the new system and a couple "unfixables" work fine in the new system.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-01-2022 17:39
Thanks so much for looking into this, and glad to hear a new system is on the way that will hopefully fix a lot of these issues! It sounds like these issues may even become irrelevant entirely with the new system, which is good news.

I had a hunch that the "no picture was found" issues had to do with the nature of the link itself, as I usually have that issue with really long links like the three I posted here, and those long links are often littered with unusual special characters. Facebook links usually don't have any parentheses or dollar sign characters, but the one I posted does have a lot of ampersands (&) and equal signs (=) which I suspect may be part of the problem. I also see you made a new error message to specifically tell the user that the URL contains "invalid characters", which is much more descriptive.

And I indeed see that with the images that would give the infinite loading symbol, they now show a "Could not connect to source. Please select a picture from another source." error after about five seconds. It's a start!
Ray
Ray | 18-01-2022 17:58
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, it's a start

For the pictures that don't upload because of invalid characters, there is a workaround of course; download the pictures to your device, rename and upload them from there. it will take some extra actions, but it will do the job.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-01-2022 18:01
Yes, as I stated in the original post, my universal workaround is just to reupload the images to Imgur instead, which has always worked. But when all of these issues get ironed out, that will save a lot of time since I can just use the original URL instead of having to reupload so frequently. Downloading the pictures locally is of course another workaround, but not one I've used much personally.

Looking forward to this new system!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 20-01-2022 15:39
This is awesome that it's being looked into. Thank you!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 29-01-2022 23:47
And it won't even let me add pictures that are on my device. Get this, the error message said it was an invalid URL.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-01-2022 00:50
Not sure if this is relevant but whenever I am in a thread, my profile picture doesn't seem to want to embed.

Anyone else having a problem with that?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2022 00:54
Issue #1 Jeff mentions: Yes, On and off....but since "reload this page" solved it everytime, I didn't mention it....so thanks for giving me an excuse to bring it up! I'm mostly using Google Chrome for this site as it works best.....(except for things like that). What browser are you using to help Ray figure it out?

Issue #2 (so we can refer to it)....by the way.....not worth a whole new thread: Sometimes I get stuck in endless "loading" of the page and "reload this page" no longer solves it...just circling dots image.... I try a new tab, Sometimes it does same thing, sometimes it does not... I just go to another site or job on computer/web which works perfectly and I'll come back later to see if the endless loading issue has resolved itself.... NOTE: Only since about November 2021, its a new issue...but in no way hampers my use of the site, so I live with it...minor minor delay in my estimation.....
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-01-2022 00:58
Google Chrome, the only browser worth talking about.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2022 01:03
Some others here --not me---love "Brave" have you used it? I use PMB (Pale Moon Broswer) as its good for higher powered x64 bit computers for many other tasks----I'll use that one to quickly search for an answer I need to post on LSI using it....while I keep the LSI Post I'm writing upfront in my face so I don't misplace it.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-01-2022 03:07
Jeff, I'd suggest making a new thread for that issue. The issue I was talking about here wasn't in reference to profile pictures, and Ray usually prefers that we make new threads for new issues so he can organize and look into them easier.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 30-01-2022 20:51
Yes, it's on and off with my avatar showing in threads. I thought it was weird, too. Typically I use Brave, Pale Moon or Opera with LSI. I didn't try Chrome or Edge, though.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-02-2022 02:45
Celine recently bumped this old thread of mine to post about an issue with one of the new errors. I initially misunderstood what she was saying, but today I encountered the problem she alluded to when I tried to save this Facebook image and upload it, instead of rehosting on another site. It appears that the "URL contains invalid characters" error still pops up even if you save an image from a URL that has invalid characters and upload it locally. But not only that, it even shows this error if you save an image from a URL that is recognized by LSI. I tried saving this one as a test - which works if you upload via URL - but I get this same problem when I try to upload from PC.

I know these errors are all temporary until the new system gets implemented, but this should probably be looked into sooner rather than later as this error not only doesn't make sense when uploading local files, but it also seems like the entire "upload picture from device" method is broken, regardless of what image you use.
Ray
Ray | 09-02-2022 15:14
I think I fixed the local upload functionality. I indeed found something that didn't work fine. Thanks for reporting!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-02-2022 15:47
Yup, looks like that's been fixed! I tried saving both images from the last post and did a test upload - both work now with no error message. Thanks once again!
gast
gast
POP OUT OPSLAAN opslaan ...
Lees verder: