Time difference of exactly 1 hour? [solved]

Volgen 2
Delen
Topic toevoegen
Zoeken
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 02-02-2020 17:54
Hi Ray:

Ok, a new support topic so it can be relegated to the ignore listing if something fixes it in the next day or so all by itself?

[I wrote "EST" for each time I printed a clock time below to keep it clear for us humans, I KNOW your timers on LetsSingIt do not specify EST or EDT for Standard Time vs Daylight Savings Time--just wrote in the paragraphs below for more clarity for the humans reading the support threads to help fix the non-human entities which can't tell time properly! ]

Looking at a thread I was working on, the little square balloon with timer information (its on all threads so does not matter which one I found it on) reported to me: 1 38 pm EST? says the clock timer on LetsSingIt on the last time someone posted in a thread...

My EST timer on computer from my ISP using some radio source atomic clock in the state of Colorado I think..says its 12:38 pm EST

Did Daylight Savings time spring ahead today, Sunday?? or isn't that scheduled for March 8th around here in the USA?

Checked the Netherlands, if that is being used for the standard LetsSingIt time clock--says its DST ends March 29th 2020.

Wondering if that is going to cause any subsequent problems with any functions that depend upon an accurate time clock?

There used to be that menu item "LSI clock" so we all knew what time it was but it went away with one of the major design updates for mobile users---I KNOW the difference of Standard vs Daylight causes difference of 1 hr in what time the VIP starts per day...but I guess I never noticed the posting time to be different until today!

Also:
Checking under Profile, the online status---its in the little baloon also said 12:38 pm EST.

have a good day no matter what the time!

[P.S. Noted I posted this at 12:55 pm on my computer clock and reading 1:54 pm EST on clock reporting the posting time--ignoring the 1 minute difference in time, So I reported it the same for those who click on the balloon and wondered why I said 12:55 when it reports 1:54? The mystery 1 hour difference!]
9 reacties
roxcyn
roxcyn | 04-02-2020 21:47
Hi Practice! Make sure in your settings you see your time right. I'm not sure if it resets automatically when DST ends/begins.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-02-2020 01:08
This is posted at 8:08 pm Eastern Standard Time (confirmed)

Great idea Scott!
Just took screenshot of what I did so now Ray and you and everyone can see
proof of what I'm talking about.

Yes, I know the VIP clock is one hour ahead or behind due to Standard Time or Daylight Time on the Netherlands system where its based---BUT that does not mean that when I post in "my" time...that the time is off...something is not reporting the time correctly!

Which could effect any other programs or codes that depend upon time (not effecting the 15 minute edit time, but you see, there are many processes that use a clock internally for doing things on the site and might be skewed as a result...

If all is ok, just say so, and we continue to live like this....maybe it resets back to "normal" time when Daylight time here springs the clocks ahead 1 hour (but remember what I wrote above---In Netherlands and most other places...it will ALSO spring ahead in March (March 8th here in USA March 29th in Netherlands)

Sooooo the net effect will still be one hour difference!

And if Ray is using GMT as the master clock indicator time for LetsSingIt sitewide
----I have another site that does it that way... everything I post there is of course -5hrs now as we are -5 hrs behind!

Proof:
Greenwich Mean Time is ahead of Eastern Standard Time by
5 hours
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
roxcyn
roxcyn | 05-02-2020 02:54
It shows me you posted at 20:08 today. You have to go into the settings to change the GMT so it shows up the right time if you want.

Settings -> Site Preferences -> Date and time.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-02-2020 03:42
All Settings > ?????????

Search Settings: No results for Site Preferences.

Date and Time? All set properly to correct time zone and EST vs DST automatic setting. And all match all non-computer non-internet ISP provider clocks from cable box etc other sources to the minute!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-02-2020 17:24
Weird

I know this might be a separate problem....but if its happening inside this thread...doesn't it deserve to be reported here?

Just noticed on my own profile list of "Contributions" tab, that the mini photo (sorry no screenshots unless I post in the one skin I have available above)
the mini photo attached to my comment record on that listing,
shows my EARLIER clocks faces motif I put here.

It does not show the later one that is currently up showing my posting at "9:08 pm"

Why not?

I definitely posted during the time the new image was up.

Does the image not reflect the latest image on the thread?

Seems to be true for my other postings going as far back as you let me.

P.S. Just checked this posting and the same thing has happened in the "Contributions" tab: Its showing the earlier clock faces image, not the later, current one I posted to demonstrate what I wrote about!

P.S.S. My posting was doubled for some reason as first one did not appear so I tried it again.... then BOTH appeared on my screen refreshing.

I think you [Ray ] are tinkering with the format of the Active Topics page and shrinking the lower section with all the new blue tabs for us to click on instead of the actual items showing in the tabbed menus.
Ray
Ray | 05-02-2020 21:52
And if Ray is using GMT as the master clock indicator time for LetsSingIt sitewide

Correct, LSI time is GMT (or UTC). All times used internally are in GMT. Externally times are mapped into the timezone set in the settings, or (for non members) mapped into the timezone based on the user's location.

So for members the timezone used is the one set in your settings. You can do that here settings. You can select any timezone you'd like, so you can always pick a timezone that matches your local time.

Back to the issue. I'm not exactly sure what goes wrong for you. Do you mean you have to select another timezone than the one you're on to get the time right?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 06-02-2020 02:29
Aha!
Thanks Ray for the direct link.
I didn't realize I had to power to change what I see and use on LetsSingIt---thought these basic settings of time or day choices were from my own computer or ISP settings...

Yes, it was one hour off.....but for those who don't know GMT or its "+" or "-" hours to their own time zone, it is just matching up the clocks and I might have done it when I first arrived, ---or not, or never!

Ok time is set correctly... date is correctly set, but again its not displayed that way throughout the site....so again I assumed it was under the control of the site and not something I could actually effect change in...but that is a different tale and I was more concerned with the time difference and correcting that!

Hooray!
Three cheers for Ray!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 06-02-2020 03:53
Okay, I'm glad you got it set up correctly.
Ray
Ray | 08-02-2020 17:22
time is set correctly... date is correctly set

That's good to hear, nice!
gast
gast
POP OUT OPSLAAN opslaan ...
Lees verder: