Volgen 2
Delen
Topic toevoegen
Zoeken
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 26-03-2018 14:02
Just an idea, not fully worked out but here goes:

New word of the day!

If you hear of a new word, abbreviation, one word idea, concept share it here... That is how the English language grows, usually by slow steady steps (and sometimes by leaps and bounds).

Its in General Discussion as its "The place for topics that that don't belong in other categories."
22 reacties
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 26-03-2018 14:05
From the US Justice Department (not a place known for making new words).

FANG

Abbreviation for Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google ! Use it when you want to express admiration or hatred for all of those groups and use just one word to stand in for all of them!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 28-03-2018 03:17
Hm, I thought we already had a a similar thread.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-03-2018 04:27
Hm, I thought we already had a a similar thread.

The reason why I can't seem to find it easily and gave up so made my own (I tried back in November December when I first thought of it...I had a list of words, now they are lost in time in the computer somewhere).

If there is a similar one, can a mod be able to combine all of these posts into the older one? I can't edit or delete any of these now.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 29-03-2018 04:41
Word of the day thread has a similar topic. You could flag your thread, I don't know if they merge threads together.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 29-03-2018 12:40
Thanks Scott for linking that here.

But I saw that thread a while ago.

This thread is different.

Word of the Day includes words we know already and may have used or not used in our daily lives.

I'm looking here for brand new "words" (like my example of "FANG" a brand new abbreviation that did not exist, they say in the news, before last week!)

So future posters, please limit this thread to brand new words only! I have a list somewhere of at least a half dozen which I'll find or recall and post here.... After that I'll keep looking out for more. There are places on the web that discuss "language" and sometimes they post a brand new word, so I hope to get a few from there too, to share with all of you!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 29-03-2018 21:25
[Offtopic]Would it include words that were just added to the dictionary?[/offtopic]
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 29-03-2018 23:12
* offtopic :
Would it include words that were just added to the dictionary?

* offtopic :
Yes of course! That is its main purpose! To bring to everyone's notice such new words so we can begin using them in everyday sentences. i.e.: "My smartphone is crashing on the web, so it must be due to one of the FANG!"

Be lucky I ditched the idea of having everyone write a sentence using the new word!
roxcyn
roxcyn | 31-03-2018 13:21
Here's one of the new words recently added to the dictionary:

Mansplain (verb)
[(of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing:
"I'm listening to a guy mansplain economics to his wife"
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 21-05-2018 19:34
Practice, does the word melocracy ever exist?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 22-05-2018 03:53
Practice, does the word melocracy ever exist?Not in that exact form Celine.

Perhaps you meant mediocracy (using the same ending as your suggested word above of -ocracy='government')

as in this definition
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 22-05-2018 03:55
Practice, melocracy is such a recent word - not the same as mediocracy.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 22-05-2018 03:58
Then my fault for using old dictionaries on the web.

Then what do you believe it to mean?
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 04-10-2018 04:20
* offtopic :
Sorry Practice, but i have a foule of melocrates around me. So I'll wonder what it means.

Enexia
As in "energy" and "anorexia".
*Not having time to eat by putting energy on a important task, maybe.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 04-10-2018 22:44
Oh, found this one today... I did not invent it.

Infox
Made of "intoxication" and "information".
Official word to describe what was previously called fake news.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 21-01-2019 17:16
I wonder what irrégural ('irregural') means. It's not the same as the French adjective irrégulier ('not regular') - all I remember is that adjective was said on the radio, during the news : "session irrégurale" (at the European parliament or sth.)

Or was it just the newscaster who said it instead of "inaugural"? Counting the supposedly-new words heard on the radio would be a nice idea.
ATESGUNES
ATESGUNES | 13-03-2019 11:52
Here is a new word that I created:

Unmistakeness

Have you ever used it?
roxcyn
roxcyn | 23-06-2019 09:57
Trd - when you're too tires to say the word just say trd (three letters).

Pnc partner in crime.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 23-06-2019 10:21
Tired I meant
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-06-2019 12:41
^ ^
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-07-2020 09:53
Been a whole YEAR since I posted in a thread I began......

!! finger wagging..

Time to post a link to some new fun words like "tintinnabulation"

More in article from "CNN"

July 11, 2020

Isn't it exciting to learn new words? A friend recently introduced me to the term "antimacassar," which describes those little pieces of cloth you put on the back of chairs or couches to keep them from getting dirty. (It also has some other meanings too — see? Each interesting word spins into a delightful rabbit hole of history and human behavior.) I am also fond of "tintinnabulation," which refers to the ringing sound of a bell. Fun fact: The word tintinnabulation was first used by Edgar Allen Poe, and further popularized by Estonian composer Arvo Pärt. Ooh, this is fun. What are some other brain-tickling words we can add to the mental kunstkammers that are our vocabularies? Other than kunstkammer, of course.
gast
gast
POP OUT OPSLAAN opslaan ...
Lees verder: