fr

New way of dealing with artist name changes

Suivre 6
Partager
Ajouter un sujet
Chercher
Ray
Ray | 15-05-2018 18:38
It's not uncommon that artists change their names. On LetsSingIt the way to deal with such a name change was to change the name of the artist map. Then the old name got simply replaced with the new name everywhere.

Why a new method

I never was quite happy with this old method. Old material released under the old name was also changed. I prefer to use the new name only for new releases, old material should not get a name change. And that's possible now, nice.

How it works

When an artist changes its name, it's added as new artist. The map with the old name is linked to this new map. With this link all content of the old map appears in the new map as if it belongs to the new map.

Example

The album "The Saga Continues ..." was released by "P. Diddy" as he called himself back in 2001 at the time of the album release.

Currently he calls himself Puff Daddy. The map of with former name "P. Diddy" is linked to the "Puff Daddy". The result is that the album "The Saga Continues ..." is listed in the "Puff Daddy" map.

Request link

There is no contribute-tool yet available to create links. For the moment you can use this thread to request links. I'll process them by hand. Please include in your request:

1) the name and url of the current name
2) the name and url of the former name that need to be linked to the current name

151 à 166 de 166 commentaires
page 7 de 7
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 12-06-2022 17:12
Nathaniel Rateliff
Alias: Nathaniel Rateliff & the Wheel

Name used on his album released in 2007.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 15-06-2022 23:04
Martin Tungevaag
Alias : Tungevaag

Norwegian DJ, who is also credited mononymously (since 2019).
Ray
Ray | 29-06-2022 10:12
Updated, thanks guys!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 29-06-2022 12:07
Thanks Ray!

As a heads up, it looks like the alias request I posted for Nathaniel Rateliff above was skipped over.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 29-06-2022 19:36
Osees
Alias: Thee Oh Sees
Alias: Oh Sees
Alias: The Ohsees
Alias: Orinoka Crash Suite
Alias: Orange County Sound

This band has gone through seven different names over the course of their career. The timeline can be seen under the "also known as" section of their Wikipedia infobox. The only one I haven't listed here is "OCS", since there is already a page for a different artist that uses the name.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 01-07-2022 04:03
Prozzak needs to have Simon & Milo added as their alias. I recently found they would release US material under both names. Additionally, I am not sure if I should merge both pages together. Let me know. Thank you.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-07-2022 23:18
Tané Cain
Alias: Tahnee Cain & Tryanglz

She used this alias for the three songs she contributed to the Terminator soundtrack. Discogs describes it as a "faux group"; they were really just solo songs credited under a band name.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-07-2022 02:46
Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
Alias: Bonzo Dog Band (name used on several albums)
Ray
Ray | 11-07-2022 11:58
As a heads up, it looks like the alias request I posted for Nathaniel Rateliff above was skipped over.

Updated!
Ray
Ray | 11-07-2022 12:05
And I updated also the other submissions. Thanks guys!

Almost, and then we can say goodbye to this topic. In the upcoming site upgrade with the new CMS, aliasses can be submitted by users. Almost there!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 12-07-2022 02:35
Ooooh very exciting! I'm all for making an important feature accessible to more users...and of course, one less thread for you to have to worry about is also a plus I've always thought Super Artist Moderators should have access to aliases anyway - I'm sure that was something you had planned from the outset, but you probably wanted to give it a few years and test out the feature before opening it up to everyone else. I just think back to how even us Super Artist Moderators had to submit merges and deletions through the public review queue for years, and couldn't do it ourselves until 2020.

Looking forward to the update! You've been alluding to it for a long time now, and while some things have been slowly changing I know it hasn't been fully rolled out yet.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 14-07-2022 13:46
That would be an awesome change.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 02-08-2022 19:06
Tim Timebomb
Alias: Tim Armstrong

He's released solo material under both names and has been credited under both names throughout his career.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 05-08-2022 03:59
Aimee Allen
Alias: Aimee Interrupter

She has released solo work under her real name Aimee Allen, but has used the moniker Aimee Interrupter ever since joining the band The Interrupters.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-08-2022 01:26
Just thought I would post here to say that I took care of the above two requests myself using the new site. And with that, this will probably be my last post in this thread! Thank you again Ray for finally giving this power to all contributors
Ray
Ray | 02-09-2022 13:32
Yes, we can wrap up this topic! What about that

For the info, artists maps can be grouped together using the "alias" functionality tab available in the edit-artist form. In the manual (a link is provided at the alias functionality) there is a detailed explanation with examples of when to use the alias functionality (for example for what this topic is about, artist changing names) and guidelines how to do it.

Last thing I would like to say: thanks guys for keeping the archive clean on LetsSingIt, thanks for helping out through this topic. Thanks for you patience when it took a while before I updated your suggestions.

Have a good do-it-yourself-aliasing!
invité
invité
POP OUT SAVE économie ...
Lire la suite: