es

Skip to [page number]

Siga 3
Compartir
Añadir tema
Buscar
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-08-2015 00:15
I don't remember if it's been talked about already. It would be cool if, next to the page numbers of threads (in the threads themselves), we had the option to "skip to [page number]". This would be great for looking back through older, bigger threads (such as the many 'Randomness is the Answer'...s). Every now and again I'll want to find something in them and it can take quite a while because we have to click on each individual page. If we had the ability to jump a number of pages at a time, or had this feature to go to a specific page, it'd be much easier. I'm sure I'm not the only active member who occasionally feels like browsing bigger threads for one reason or another, and I know old members return to the forum to reminisce each year and sometimes want to do the same.
13 comentarios
saina
saina | 12-08-2015 08:32
You mean like a drop down menu beside the page links. Hmm, that'd be cool.

Normally, when I need to go to a specific page number, I edit the address. For e.g.
This is the address of the 170th page of the Randomness thread -
http://forum.letssingit.com/topic/565228/randomness-is-the-answer-180/170
For going to the 50th page, I delete the '170' and type '50', then press enter.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-08-2015 16:15
Why thank you Joey for posting this!

I've thought about saying something, but I always seem to have something wrong with IE 10 so most times, unless its really annoying I keep quiet now...

(sorry for a delay Photobucket was not working today).

In the old design---when I fell behind in Randomness and started the computer for the day, the buttons below the topic would appear in three sets of series....sometimes in two rows....

I don't have a photo of that easily available---if I ever took one. I did it again today and the three series of buttons appear just as before with the new series, but this time in a single (not double) row...

Screenshot 1

Compare to:

Screenshot 2

I don't know if anyone else noticed this---its helpful to have the extra series of middle pages in the row of buttons (see Screenshot), but... but... as soon as I go to the current page (whether accidentally or on purpose during a Internet session) I lose that three sets of buttons...

I'm happy to report I can make it do those three sets of buttons now anytime ---but like Joey says---without having a "go to page" option----this is annoying as you have to go back and back page by page to do this and catch up to the rest of a very long thread/conversation such as Randomness has.

WHAT I would like (in addition to Joey's suggestion) is the ability to "bookmark" (in a different color perhaps?) the page button where I left off reading---or a page I'd like to return to again to re-read.
I include this in Joey's suggestion above, as its related in terms of what the computer needs to be programmed to do.

If a computer can "go to a page" it can be also "set" to indicate a certain page when the session begins (i.e. we turn on the computer/or sign in again to LSI--most pages return to the exact page we left off at -- so we know the data is preserved from session to session, even when a computer is off).

Also, when going over an extensive large album collection, it would be nice to bookmark where we left off, so its not a matter of memory where I'm at going down a list of songs on an album (or the top singles charts too), and I have to suspend the computer use and come back later.

Just wanted to post this long suggestion for any feedback first to help Ray in case someone else would like to have BOTH the ability to read the current pages as well as keep track of where we left off reading several days ago. (And Joey's Go To Page suggestion as well).

(Yes, {in answer to those who would have written to say they have the simple answer to my problem}---I do have a pen/pencil to mark down the page I left off at or want to see again, but you should not need to do that if the computer can do it for you!)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-08-2015 17:13
Also, when going over an extensive large album collection, it would be nice to bookmark where we left off, so its not a matter of memory where I'm at going down a list of songs on an album (or the top singles charts too), and I have to suspend the computer use and come back later.

Best to put that somewhere else, Practice, so that it doesn't get lost in this discussion and Ray can easily revisit the suggestion in its own thread later on. That seems to be how he prefers it.

I've never had - or at least noticed - the three middle numbers. The first and last three are always there, but they're not much help in searching for a later page. Anyone else?

Saina - That's a great tip. I'll try to remember that one in the future. However, I still think the feature would be great to have. I've seen it on other sites and it's very useful. I saved a print-screen of Hotmail's 'Go to [date]' feature as an example, but Photobucket is being funny.
Ray
Ray | 12-08-2015 21:45
Interesting idea. How would you like to see this option integrated into the site? Why not photoshop an example for me? Make a screen of the current situation and photoshop this option in it and upload it so that I can see it.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-08-2015 22:38
Thanks Ray! Great idea for demonstrating what possibilities there are! I'll photoshop and take screenshots of some examples and concepts (if Photobucket will let me--having trouble here too with that one).

Also Thanks Joey---will move off my bookmark idea to a new thread -no problem.

Finally... did I miss what 'Scott' 'roxcyn' said here? It does not appear on my thread as of now...
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-08-2015 22:40
No, it wasn't Scott, it was Saina. *Edits post* (Sorry, Saina.) Just bad reading (or glancing at the avatar) on my part.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 21-08-2015 13:09
Hi! I didn't forget about this... took a while..

I only found this one example for pop up/pop out "go to page"

I KNOW I've seen it elsewhere but I've been looking for the pop up box with the words "go to" and a blank space next to it for us to fill in a page number. Its exactly what Saina does with altering the address line, but simplified and easier to access/to do. Other sites have it, I just have to remember where else to post here.. But I do have the "go to date" one by Email site Hotmail/Outlook to post for you today.

Screenshot example
roxcyn
roxcyn | 28-11-2015 20:53
Ray, here is another example.

Go all the way to the bottom of the page. Not necessarily a "go to" page, but I like the arrows as you can scroll quickly through the page number you want.
Ray
Ray | 28-12-2015 20:16
I'll put this on the to do list. Can't give an estimation of time, the list is long But very nice thinking along.
Ray
Ray | 31-12-2019 20:25
An update on this request.

I added this functionality to the site a short while ago. I hope you like it
roxcyn
roxcyn | 01-01-2020 05:44
Yes, I notice you did a while ago. I want to say, thank you!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-01-2020 16:41
Thank you Ray for keeping the site nimble and responsive to customer needs!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-01-2020 23:02
So you did! Thanks a lot, Ray. That's great.
invitado
invitado
SALIDA GUARDAR ahorro ...
Leer más: