cs

Indian Prince comes out gay family disowns him

Následovat 0
Sdílet
Přidat téma
Vyhledávání
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 05-07-2007 15:42
Say hello to Manvendra Singh Gohl, the only son of the King and Queen of India. And he's gay!

The Prince is the first openly gay Indian royal. Unfortunately, though, since coming out a year ago - he has been disowned from his family.

It is sad and just wrong, but homosexuality is illegal in India and can be punishable with up to ten years in jail. As a result, it is estimated that 80% of gay men in India are married to women.

Many argue that the widespread denial of homosexuality inhibits education of safe sex practices, resulting in a rise in HIV and AIDS.

Says the Prince, "I came out because I wanted to show to the world that even a prince can be gay. I wanted people to discuss homosexuality, which was always considered taboo and a stigma,it's been existing in India but no one talked about it."

----

this is sad to see in this day and age when so many people want children that people go and disown their kids just because their not who they want them to be. It's not about what the parents want, it's what makes the child happy.
26 do 47 z 47 reakce
strana 2 z 2
DaDdY_DoLlaZ
DaDdY_DoLlaZ | 05-07-2007 18:55
if i was him i would have just kept my mouth shut until i was king, and then tell everybody to suck it up. i mean who can argue with the King?
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 05-07-2007 18:57
that would've been he'd have to abdicate though like when King George abdicated because he wanted to marry his mistress.
LetGo
LetGo | 05-07-2007 19:00
India is not Kingdom...so like I said before not as if he would have gotten to rule the country or something.
EzyRyder
EzyRyder | 05-07-2007 19:10
DaDdY_DoLlaZ: There's no King of India(read my previous post). The Royal families have absolutely no power here. They live their own private lives and we practically don't even hear of them (cept when they get disowned for being gay and stuff, LOL).
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 05-07-2007 19:18
carole
carole | 05-07-2007 19:29
im glad tim and sweetsweetj posted in this topic, so that we, the western pple, dont sound like we know it all again.

and, im sure the guy knew what he was gonna get for coming out publicly. he made a point.
NightShade
NightShade | 05-07-2007 19:53
Well I do think that's awful. I can't imagining ever disowning a child, and for all we know the royal family don't necessarily want to disown the prince, but do so because it's what's expected of them.
carole
carole | 05-07-2007 23:38
but what do we know about being a member of the indian royal family?
DarXide
DarXide | 06-07-2007 01:07
What you people don't understand and can't accept the fact is how cultures run in different countries, especially middle eastern countries as I said before. Where gays, lesbians etc are frowned upon. That is why I said it's understandable to know the prince was disowned, in context to the country he was living in.

Yes ofcourse, not every country is as broad-minded like USA or any other white country for that matter. And admit it.. in such countries, anything and everything is possible nowadays. And I don't mean this in an offensive way.

And talking about the former-prince's fame. Being disowned by his family, even if he was the prince, that doesn't leave him much fame. It's quite the opposite, really
NightShade
NightShade | 06-07-2007 01:16
To me, disowning a child isn't 'understandable'. Perhaps expected, considering the country, but never understandable.
nanki_c
nanki_c | 06-07-2007 10:40
I just want to make one thing clear as other people tried to do earlier in the thread. Somewhere the wires are crossed because there is no Prince of India. Several provinces and states have royal families but India as a whole doesn't have one.
I agree though about the ridiculousness of the rule that being gay is illegal. It's stupid. Its not followed though really. Some familes are really old fashioned, especially if they are coming from a tiny town like the one they are coming from. I don't agree with it but I can understand that some mindsets just don't change. I'm sure the place will eventually change but with the people who are in power right now, they will stick to their old values.
nanki_c
nanki_c | 06-07-2007 10:44
Yes ofcourse, not every country is as broad-minded like USA or any other white country for that matter. And admit it.. in such countries, anything and everything is possible nowadays. And I don't mean this in an offensive way.

I really don't think that's a fair statement to make. People are discriminated against in the USA and any other white country, as you put it, too. Any small towns in the US or in england etc have the same issues with gay people or racism etc. The people in the cities here are as open minded as people abroad. Don't generalise.
Dagor
Dagor | 06-07-2007 10:59
Yes ofcourse, not every country is as broad-minded like USA or any other white country for that matter

Since when is the US so broadminded. In our eyes they are at least 20 years behind what modern issues is concerned. What I mean is that there are local differences and gradations, just as Nanki pointed out.
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 06-07-2007 12:27
* offtopic :
i guess nanki and daniel owned him then.
Dagor
Dagor | 06-07-2007 12:54
Manvendra Singh Gohil is a prince from Rajpipla, India who came out as gay and was subsequently disowned by his family [1][2] His story attracted international media attention.

Manvendra came out to his family in 2002, but it was only when he talked publicly about his homosexuality in 2006 that his family took action and accused him of bringing dishonor to the unofficial dynasty. The disowning, however, is likely to remain a symbolic act rather than a legally enforceable disinheriting, given India's modern laws of primogeniture.[3]

Manvendra is now chairman of the Lakshya Trust, a group dedicated to HIV/AIDS education and prevention.

Following Indian convention for putative royals, he is referred to by his given name, Manvendra, not his surnames, Singh Gohil. Although India is a republic and does not recognize the royal status that was conferred prior to 1947, it is still common in India to speak informally of royalty, princes and princesses

Adimpleo
Adimpleo | 06-07-2007 23:21
Wey wey, he wasn't taken by suprise by everyhting, he knew exactly what was going to happen. He made a point in public, trying to change something that he finds incorrect and disciminating to a whole bunch of people, using that media-power of his for something good. He is 41, and as he said, he has had all the good of life: he is willing to risk it for help people who is not just not accepted, but not even allowed to be mentioned existing. Bad?

You watched his eyes in that video? He wants to help. He can be disowned, but he cannot be forgotten. And what do we know? I think that the queen has not REALLY disowned him straight at the spot: even if she finds what he has done wrong one couldn't say she really had the best of options. There is culture, upbringing, tradition, religious conviction etcetc for her and she sure don't like him being gay, but what he has done is the first step on a very, very important road. As someone said, gay rights are human rights.

My support.
DarXide
DarXide | 07-07-2007 11:41
My only point was to corroborate that even if you live in a country, in which all people generally lived with a a liberal mindset, not every country is the same.

And the small towns you speak of in "US, UK etc", ofcourse, such towns exist in almost every country. Don't I know that already? Perhaps you didn't get me. I was speaking for the majority. Anyway, you seem to react as if my comment was a hostile one. Well, perhaps that was inevitable. My intention was just to give a comparitive example.
DarXide
DarXide | 07-07-2007 11:55
* offtopic :
And "i guess nanki and daniel owned him then."? Lol, owned? I thought we were having a discussion, an argument in which disagreements being expressed are expected. But I realize now that it's a rather a competition. "I can't be wrong!! I am always right! Yay, I won! *sucks on thumb*". Next time I'll only speak up, if I'm not "scared to lose"
sweet_J_
sweet_J_ | 09-07-2007 16:21
lol Anwar
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 09-07-2007 16:22
* offtopic :
i didnt mean it that way O.o
Dagor
Dagor | 09-07-2007 16:53
*owns anwar and puts him on ebay, starting for 1 dollar*

you'll get a free coke as well! If that isn't an offer you can't refuse!
PunkRckr8
PunkRckr8 | 09-07-2007 17:27
mmm, free coke

*bids $1.05 and a small box of maletesers*
host
host
VYSKOČIT ULOŽIT ukládání ...
Přečtěte si více: