en

Languages That Sound Cool - Languages That Don't

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
Dagor
Dagor | 22-08-2004 21:57
Hi Community!

I guess everybody thinks that his mother tongue sounds cool. But what about other languages?
Need some opinions here! Prejudices are most wanted :-)

Now:

Dutch the way belgians speak it, is really cool. If Dutch people speak it, it can sound quite hard (depending on where they come from). Okay, being Belgian, I had to say this :-)

Spanish (spoken in Spain) sounds very masculin. Love that language.

Greek is one of my favourite! Don't understand a word, but it sounds very clear (lots of 'i' and 'a' in it). Maybe I will try to learn it some day.

Since I don't want to offend our moderator: of all kinds of english, Scottish is _the_ coolest way of speaking it. Very powerfull! I even mean this *g*

Now, what else?

Dagor
1 to 25 of 77 comments
page 1 of 4
DeathByMonkeys
DeathByMonkeys | 22-08-2004 21:58
I wanna learn Urdu and Farsi just so I can say 'I know how to speak Urdu and Farsi'.
cRaZy_T
cRaZy_T | 22-08-2004 22:15
I think German sounds really cool..... I have a dislike for the French language because they try to force me to learn it at school
Shauna_me
Shauna_me | 22-08-2004 22:18
haha me too.. i think most canadians would think that way because we have to learn french.... i really love the spanish language.... (mexico) i dont think ive compared it to spain though...
Dagor
Dagor | 22-08-2004 22:24
I am really surprised that some think German sounds OK. I speak it real well (living here for quite some time now) but I still think it sounds _very_ hard. Why do you like it?

(French) "If you talk really fast, you can make yourself sound gay" ... still, beautiful language ... lot of class.

Dagor
SelenaPerezFan
SelenaPerezFan | 22-08-2004 22:28
well im a Mexican-American,so i think my speakings are cool,but i really dont like all the other speakings.im from texas.i know Selena Perez the Mexican-American singer.im from and live in Corpus Christi.im the same age as Selena,even if she is dead.she was my fav singer.ill never forget her.
cRaZy_T
cRaZy_T | 22-08-2004 22:32
I dunno why, I don't understand German but I still really like how it sounds and *shakes fist at french language.. not french people*
Shauna_me
Shauna_me | 22-08-2004 22:35
it also depends on wut kind of french.. there's a diff between french-french (francais)and canadian-french (franglais)..
Dagor
Dagor | 22-08-2004 22:37
Maybe it's the way Canadians pronounce French. During holidays in France, I have met some people from Quebec (mothertongue French) and they were quite shocked, since the french didn't understand them quite well. On the same night, I have also met an irish guy. The french didn't understand him either, but he was not so devastated by it ;-)

Dagor
Shauna_me
Shauna_me | 22-08-2004 22:40
haha... thats funny... but i guess thats the same as an english accent, an american accent, and canadian accent.. and all the other countries that speak different forms of english..lol... sometimes its hard to understand them...
xcr4zyx
xcr4zyx | 22-08-2004 22:42
Ya Quebec French is a little messed up .. but if you dont have the french accent (like me) it sounds okay. I like Greek .. and i hope to soon master it .. i want to learn arabic cus its a cool sounding language hehe ... what else .. spanish .. i tried learning it ..
Dagor
Dagor | 22-08-2004 22:45
The disadvantage of living in Germany is that you have to go to bed when others are still wide awake. Goodnight! or as we say: n8! (being n acht: nacht meaning night ;-)

Dagor
Evan_Blant
Evan_Blant | 22-08-2004 23:50
well, I'm from Argentina, and we speak in a different way than any other latin-american (besides people from Uruguay)...and to me, it sounds really cool..n I dunno, I think English and Italian sound really cool too.

I don't like Chinise or Japaneese tough...no ofenses..

versace89
versace89 | 23-08-2004 09:16
Japanese language is cool
Tamil doesn't sound so nice
salaam
salaam | 23-08-2004 15:09
I like the sounding of arabic, chinese, spanish, greek, hebrew and aramaic... and I don't like Finnish, swedish, danish, norweigian, german, russian and dutch...
salaam
salaam | 23-08-2004 15:10
oh and Finnish is my mother tongue and it doesn't sound cool
Dagor
Dagor | 23-08-2004 19:48
No offense, but all of these so-called euphonic languages (like finnish, hungarian, turkish) sound a bit boring. Do you have any idea, where these changes in vocals come from? (never mix up clear and broad vocals in one word but rather change the vocal).
ellessilver
ellessilver | 23-08-2004 19:51
You know Salaam, I really like the sound of Finnish... I don't really like the sound of English though, but I also like French, Spanish, Russian and German.
Shira88
Shira88 | 23-08-2004 19:55
I think that French sounds really cool, I like French... Russian too.

Arabic in my opinions ounds horrible. I don't like it.
Althea_Flint
Althea_Flint | 23-08-2004 20:08
I like English (I speak Spanish), I really like the way potuguese sounds, Arabic and German too...

I hate French, and I hate all Asian languages...
salaam
salaam | 24-08-2004 12:57
oh nice that someone likes Finnish
Dagor
Dagor | 24-08-2004 20:38
A couple of years ago, I spent a week in Oulu. Very strange experience. This was the first time that I was in a place where I couldnot understand one single word. Even in Helsinki you can read a bit on signs that sounds more or less familiar (Swedish).
After a while I could remember at least two words: kiitos and tervetuloa and for some strange reason I have also remembered the words 'kaupunki' and 'lentoasema'. Search me why ...
Finnish sounded ok to me! It is not a language that you hear a lot though ;-)
lil_minty
lil_minty | 24-08-2004 20:40
Spanish is the greatest! They speak really quickly but flowing and it sounds lovely. The words sound lovely too.
And i like french a lot too..but only certain parts. Im not too fond of the french accent or the way they speak it...but the words are nice.
salaam
salaam | 25-08-2004 13:54
* offtopic :
Oh I live in Oulu. What do you think of my city then?
INSANE87
INSANE87 | 25-08-2004 13:55
Spanish- cool
Italain- cool

arabian- UNCOOL
german- VERY UNCOOL
badlydrawnroy
badlydrawnroy | 25-08-2004 14:02
spanish, italian, french, all sound nice. japanese just sounds cool, end of story. german is the vilest sounding language in the world.
on a related topic, i can;t tell the difference easily between say an Australian accent and a New Zealand accent, and have similar problems with Canadian and American accents- anyone else agree, or is it just me being a dumbass?
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: