LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en
Follow 0
Add topic
Search
wiseass
wiseass | 13-08-2004 03:23
Everyone has there own definition of goth. What's yours?
51 to 56 of 56 comments
page 3 of 3
amormonsuicide
amormonsuicide | 14-12-2004 07:59
I think the best way to figure it out is not to be like "LOL ITS ARCHITACHKSURE" or to go by what schoolkids label themselves. Try to get inside what exactly someone who ends up dressing and acting like that is thinking. It's quite obvious. Goth is a form of counter-culture that seems to feed on it's own self-loathing in a unified sense. Myself, I've always considered kids who attempt to act "goth" as an extremely insincere form of bookworm/creative kid. Since they're rejected on a whole by everyone for being both rediculously non-conformist by popular kids and being rediculously conformist by the "norm" counter-culture kids E.G. "skater, nerd, moderates (floaters), intellectuals etc..." they bond together in their own shell of complete obliviousness. that's my take, at least. On a whole, I've never encountered a truly smart or profound "goth" kid, they're just a little more accepting of knowledge than most kids.
amormonsuicide
amormonsuicide | 14-12-2004 08:08
for the record, my school is this old melting pot of über-anti bullying that somehow managed to push the jocky kids on their asses and become the fat kids who sit at the tables with the losers. Most jocks keep quiet, and fights are almost always between some moron "alt" kid and his unfortunate "loser" kid victim. The goths of our school typically don't even try to go into the mindset, they resign to showing minimal interest in "dark sides" of existential subjects; like religion and spirituality, become flagrantly naive atheists, and then just mingle amongst the schools huge ricer/racist white kid population. The group that garners the most popularity is basically the style-conscientious(sp) , shorta preppy sorta skater kids. There's the dumb ones (way more popular sadly), and then there's my group which is mostly the ones who make fun of everyone else constantly and get away with it. We aren't nearly as popular, but still get alot more respect from people than we wouldn't at any other school. I spent 8th grade being a "metalhead" which just meant I went to metal shows, wore black band-t shirts and jeans, and felt some sort of undue competition with "preppies". I'm glad that faded out.
redrum243
redrum243 | 18-12-2004 20:44
amormonsuicide and puddle of sugar I think you both have excellent points. I imagine the goth idea is an entire system of beliefs and wearing black clothes and lots of silver is probably a way of expressing this but there are lots of kids that just do it for attention. On the other hand people are quick to label others as 'goths'. I like the colour black and silver jewellery, which means that people are very quick to label me a goth but I don't try to be if you know what I mean. Surely that is the fault of others, not mine? Is this the case for many 'goths'? Probably not but I think it's worth considering. Society, especially that at school, is always very quick to judge. Unfortunately it was wrong in my case but I'm sure most are kids just trying to 'be cool' by being 'different'.
JunPPP
JunPPP | 21-02-2011 21:30
The goths were a tribe of vikings that broke off and came over to Roman territory from Scandinavia. They kicked. Fucking. Ass.

Unfortunately nowadays most of our fellow goths are just melodramatic "maturer-than-thou" kinds who take beatings then go off crying on the internet and sticking up for the very people who attack them.

In all seriousness though; There are lots of good people in the goth community, bar the whiners and the goth fetishists. Though my favourites are those that branch off from goth and create something new, e.g. Cybergoth, steampunk, Victorian-Goth, etc.
Fjerrsyn
Fjerrsyn | 06-03-2011 16:47
From my point of view "goth" is the music.
Calling someone "goth" is just as stupid as calling someone "emo".
If you don't know what "emo" stands for, don't bother commentimg cuz I have no energy to explain that.
Ovasis
Ovasis | 14-10-2012 20:54
Noodle summed this up eloquently.

"uh. . 'Goth's' are people who are exactly like everyone else. . . but they get called a goth because of what they wear or music they like. For some reason people have become to relate the word 'goth' with something bad. . . if a person seem's gothic to you, they are a bad person. If they are bad, so are you and I."

So it's not a religion or political, or some mysterious club. It's a view and stereotype dependent upon an observer's assumptions.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: