LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Content check priority

Follow 3
Add topic
Search
musdan77
musdan77 | 16-11-2016 21:31
I see that "Missing lyrics" is 4 stars (which is understandable), "Missing genre" is 3 stars, and "Missing album" is 2 stars. I never really noticed that before, and I'm surprised that the last two aren't the other way around.
9 comments
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 17-11-2016 00:42
I agree, since album info is of second importance next to lyrics. Perhaps that's something Ray can change.
Ray
Ray | 25-11-2016 13:30
The thing it that genres connects all content on LSI. All "similar artists" and "music intrests" algorithyms are based on genres, so tagging genres is extremely important. Though, albums are also important. But I didn't want to to give evertyhing the same high priority.

Taking the above in consideration, what would be the best way to prioritize missing album and missing genre?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 25-11-2016 18:44
I will go with whatever others decide here.....

----but I'd like to add to the mix that I've done it, so I know its possible to do "cross-referencing" or sometimes called "cross-indexing" so neither one has an importance over the other. I've worked in libraries and I know some people like to find things by categories and some by title (as in albums)..... everyone is different, so why not let LSI be the web site that allows everyone to find things the way they are used to looking for and finding things, rather than making someone abandon their own preferred method when they come here----

* offtopic :
I should have tried out a few to see what work would be needed before commenting, but wanted to get this thought out before others comment, so as to see what Ray's opinion is of the amount of work that cross-indexing the tags with the albums would involve----- (I do get annoyed when I enter a search term in one area and it doesn't work, so I just try another area or a different search term, but that is just "me" I don't give up and go away to another web site just because I don't find what I'm looking for here)
music_junkie
music_junkie | 04-12-2016 13:59
just my 2 cents here (perhaps a little late).. its understandable you dont want to give everything highest point values/priority, but I can see the importance of genres for the algorhythms to work as expected.. however i would honestly think most people are looking at titles/keyed values when searching song lyrics or artist details. in the context of this site i dont think genres are AS important to the user as they may be to the site admin

that said, maybe the admin can run some site usage reports to know if the genre details are driving longer user stays/page views -- ie, can you tell by click counter how many other page views are generated from the "similar artists" or "songs you might like" suggested tabs?? this would more scientifically tell you what the users on this site are doing and THAT should settle your quandry on how to set the priority/points on genres.
Ray
Ray | 09-12-2016 20:38
Ok, let's go for the in-between solution, 3 stars for both "Missing genre" and "Missing album".
musdan77
musdan77 | 10-12-2016 17:33
Well, I'm glad to know the reasoning behind it. Thanks. Now, speaking of genres (and being that time of year), how would you feel about adding a "Christmas" (or "Holiday") genre? I know that some Christmas songs/recordings can be put under pop or R&B or country... but the more traditional ones don't really fit into any that are available.
Ray
Ray | 10-12-2016 20:30
There is already a nice thread for genre related stuff here.
musdan77
musdan77 | 11-12-2016 00:29
OK, thanks.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 11-12-2016 02:12
Ray, you seem to be acknowledging that thread, but I notice you haven't posted in it for over a year. Do you think any change is on the horizon regarding our proposed genre modifications, or no? I've been trying to get your attention in the thread ever since you posted, as we've had a lot of discussion since then.

(I would post this on the other thread, but again, I'm not sure if you'd see it.)
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: