LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en
Follow 3
Add topic
Search
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 27-04-2016 22:18
Allow people to see who reported them and for what reason.
1 to 25 of 61 comments
page 1 of 3
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 27-04-2016 22:24
I'll add to that - members should be told who carded them.

Signed,

Me from 12 years ago
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 27-04-2016 22:35
Haha I think Celine agrees.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 27-04-2016 22:37
I don't want to see more arguments (like I learned occurred between Kurt and others here before I arrived), over reporting and who did what for what reasons....

BUT I have designed/run web sites. I have been content manager for major sites (yes "s").... over the years....

My historical view of this is that you do what we have done, which is quite successful.... You allow the person who is "carded" (your term for getting in trouble at this site---I have not been so carded and hope never to be so I have no idea what the process actually involves so I write from ignorance (!) but trying to impart my years of others yelling (flaming) over the web as a result of misplaced good intentions by the Mods of other sites...

Therefore (Yes, Joe just skip to here): All I'm suggesting is a blind reporting that protects the one being reported upon and the "reportee" as well as the Mod or Mods taking action...

Show the carded person in a PRIVATE Email... what the Mod(s) wrote. (Someone can edit them (or create a "form" described below) so they are all generic in wording so you can't guess who of the Mods wrote it).
The reporter (who reported it) remains unknown to the Carded person.
The Mod remains unknown to the Carded person.
BUT the "votes" of all the Mods involved in making the decision (I think its three here? I don't remember where I saw someone say that) are revealed so you know if it was 3 for 3 or 2 for 3 in approving the carding) are revealed to the Carded person.
And as stated above, the REASON why has to be listed in non-arrogant, non-negative wording, like writing a traffic ticket.... maybe a fill in the blanks form can be developed.

Sorry to be so detailed.... but trying to advance the discussion that would certainly occur under this new thread before it gets out of hand.... Making it a good, common sense discussion that respects BOTH the rights and responsibilities of the Mods, for all the work they have to do extra to do this as well as the rights and responsibilities of each member of this Forum to respect others here and obey the very very few rules that are here... (Far fewer than other sites... which I can copy and paste their "manifestos" of rules in case someone doesn't believe how detailed such rules of behavior on a website can be.)

I typed this to start a serious conversation Joe... I'm not against your suggestion as such, and appreciate you opening up a discussion thread for everyone's opinion!
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 27-04-2016 22:49
I feel like your suggestions would work better for a much larger forum with many more members. As it stands, LSIs forum has like 10 or 15 regulars. I kinda understand wanting to "protect" the "rights" of mods but the other side of me isn't a total pussy and thinks that mods should be accountable for their choices like everyone else.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 27-04-2016 22:56
would work better for a much larger forum with many more members.

Yes you're right Kurt.... my suggestions were implemented for sites with over 10,000 "regular" posting members....so my methods do work.... but to do anything "less" subjects both sides to the endless arguments (as I read your prior comment as being from 12 years ago)....seems I'm correct in that these carding procedures here leave long term seething resentment here.... when we all should be interested in improving the experience (yes of even as few as 10 -15 regulars) here... What do you think?
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 27-04-2016 23:04
Honestly hardly anyone ever gets carded or cares but me which is very infrequent compared to the past. I just think it should be disclosed who carded you. I've asked many times who carded me but never get a straight answer although I've usually eventually been leaked info or figured it out. The modding here has never been very transparent and I don't anticipate a change, but still wanted to bring it up.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 27-04-2016 23:32
I can maybe agree with perhaps making the reason something was reported available, but not the person who reported it. Everyone here for the most part is an adult. Be mindful of what you say to others. We all know the rules. If you are going to say something that is rude to another member, then you are accepting you will probably be carded for it. Otherwise, don't say it. Come on, it's not that hard. And it helps nothing revealing the reporter other than opening up a mine field.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 27-04-2016 23:40
Let's just all be friends and not have to report each other anymore. Let's all team up, and defeat those spammers who spam the threads with kitchen supplies.
Ray
Ray | 27-04-2016 23:41
Perfecly said Jen.

I think the reporter and moderator should stay anonymous. Making everything transparent pulls down the effectiveness of the carding system since people think twice before they report or card.
JDolla
JDolla | 27-04-2016 23:48
I think it would ve easier to all be friends and not report each other if we stopped saying we weren't upset by something that was posted and in fact thought it was funny then turn around and report that post, but what do I know...
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 27-04-2016 23:50
Thinking twice before carding - what a concept.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 27-04-2016 23:55
I think it would ve easier to all be friends and not report each other if we stopped saying we weren't upset by something that was posted and in fact thought it was funny then turn around and report that post, but what do I know...

Precisely. Let's all try acting like the adults we are and soon to be young adults.

I'll admit 100%, I probably should not have said that and proceeded to report the next post after he kept going with that stuff and Curt probably should not have posted that, but that's Curt. No stopping him. This thread probably would not exist had he posted that. I understand Curt loves to bust balls, but it gets old after awhile.
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 28-04-2016 00:10
I think the reporter and moderator should stay anonymous. Making everything transparent pulls down the effectiveness of the carding system since people think twice before they report or card.

I don't really care who cards who but I don't think it needs to be a secret. Transparency is a good thing; if you report somebody then they'll know you did and the issue can be addressed openly. As it stands now, somebody doesn't like something that was said, reports it, mod reviews it and a card is either issued or not. You can't really improve things if you don't get to the root of the problem and the only way to get the problem fixed is with transparency.

If I were to say that a random user was an asshole, then there's a good chance it'll get reported by the user I called an asshole and I'll most likely get a card. I have no problem with being reported and carded for that but I should be able to know who reported me for it.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 28-04-2016 00:19
Thinking twice before carding - what a concept.

lol, seriously? You even said yourself it had been well over a year or so since you had last been carded. In fact no one has really been carded that recently (aside from your recent ones).

Let's be real, Jeff makes himself an easy target. You saw an opening and you took it. Hey, it had been a while, you were bored? annoyed? didn't care? Jeff, in true Jeff fashion, tried to play it off like it was all good. You took that as your cue to make another comment. Jeff thought his tactic of pretending to think you were funny the first time would keep you from posting more. It didn't. Your posts were rude and disrespectful and were reported. You got a slap on the wrist for rude language, which is nothing.

1) Jeff shouldn't have acted like it was all good if it really wasn't. What he did sent mixed signals and confused things.
2) You shouldn't have made either comment in the first place.

Result: Unnecessary drama.

What can be done in the future to prevent said drama from happening again?
1) Ask yourself, am I willing to chance being carded just so I can make this post?
2) If yes, then proceed. But understand that although you are exercising freedom of speech, we are all responsible for our own actions and for what we say. If you make the choice to post, then you are responsible for the end result.
3) If no, then do not make the post. It's not worth the drama and we are better than making jokes at the expense of someone else.

You are right, it is not our job as mods to be the forum parents. It is the job of everyone in the forum to be the decent human beings they are, follow the rules, and to respect each other so that no one needs to be carded. That doesn't mean every post needs to be about sunshine, rainbows or magical unicorns. But just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should.

I really love soap. I have lots of soap boxes. I also have water-balloons.
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 28-04-2016 00:29
I have no beef with the recent cards. I had a cheap 7/10 laugh and figured I'd be carded and still don't care whatsoever. Jeff brought up old posts via screenshot which Sierra commented on. I made my comments, all completely true, and left it as that.
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 28-04-2016 00:31
It still baffles me after all this time that anytime I bring up lack of transparency, some mods still get so defensive - even though everyone agrees that it isn't transparent lol. Why are you defending yourself when we both agree the mods have never been transparent or cooperative with telling someone specifics of their card?

But the comment you responded to was me chuckling at the idea that thinking twice before carding was somehow a bad thing as Ray was suggesting.

I know the modding won't change and if you believe that this forum issue is any more than me sitting at work casually voicing my opinion, you'd be incorrect. I do believe my longstanding bitching and chopping up the mod team has resulted in less cards. Since I don't care about moderating artists or whatever, I gues they don't effect me much anyways.

So let's keep it like it is. There's really only a few outcomes after a card anyways. 1) the card was legit and I don't care. 2) one of the mods secretly tells me anyways. 3) I figure it out easily. 4) I figure it out after bitching 5) I blame Joey
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 28-04-2016 00:33
Wasn't there a section in your profile at one point in history that showed you what cards you have? Does that not exist anymore? Also, the ban meter.. where'd that go?
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 28-04-2016 00:40
How was my post defensive? Informative and detailed, yes. What is not transparent to you? I feel like the reasoning behind your recent cards is pretty self explanatory.

figured I'd be carded and still don't care whatsoever.

Okay, so you knew you were doing something that would result in a card, and you did it anyway. I am not sure why you are surprised(?) by the result considering you already suspected it. Why do you need to be told the why and the who when you already knew you were in the wrong?
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 28-04-2016 00:43
You're mixing different situations. I don't care whatsoever about my two cards a few days ago. I have no issue and just plainly don't care.

The transparency has always been an issue and I'm referring to the mods policy of remaining anonymous when handing out cards.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 28-04-2016 00:45
You're mixing different situations. I don't care whatsoever about my two cards a few days ago. I have no issue and just plainly don't care.

Ok, I'm sorry. I thought the recent cards were included in your discussion.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 28-04-2016 00:46
If by transparency you mean telling you who carded you, then no, we are not transparent. But why does it matter? The mods work as a team so why does it matter who actually did it? We (at least the current mod team, I can't speak for all of time) have always been happy to explain if you are confused on why you were carded. What else have we failed to answer?
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 28-04-2016 00:46
I thought you used to be able to see the cards too, Sarah. And the ban meter is still there. You have to go to your profile and click 'options' and it's one of the links under that section.
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 28-04-2016 00:47
I found it, and there's a "Cards" section in there as well. I assume that's where they'd be listed? Anyone care to screenshot and share what it actually looks like with cards?
JDolla
JDolla | 28-04-2016 00:53
Anyone care to screenshot and share what it actually looks like with cards?

Quit rubbing it in that you've never been carded Sarah
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 28-04-2016 00:54
I don't feel like screencapping and uploading but here is mine:

Ban Meter
Your ban level : 1.32 %
Cards
05-24-2015 11:59 AM rude language
04-26-2015 03:10 PM rude language
03-16-2015 05:03 PM rude language

Approaching a year and I still have a ban meter percentage.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: