Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-04-2016 20:39

*Introductory theme tune*

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. looking up answers; asking others)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.

-------------------------------------------

WINNER: Juliet86, aka Lisa
RUNNER-UP: PracticePractic, aka Pract-Pie
26 to 50 of 143 comments
page 2 of 6
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 25-04-2016 20:32
Holy freaking crap I suck at this game!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 20:32
ROUND #1 RESULTS

Thirteen people! Almost a full house this round, which would've meant losing six of you now and six at the end of Round #2. As it is, we'll be saying goodbye to five of you, and those five are...

Jen: 67 (FRANCE)
Meg: 54 (AUSTRIA)
Carl: 52 (USA)
Jeremy: 47 (CHINA)
Jeff: 40 (SPAIN)

Kaleb: 39 (ITALY)
Lisa: 37 (BELGIUM)
Anthony: 22 (AUSTRALIA)
Scott: 15 (EGYPT)
Sarah: 14 (HUNGARY)
Sierra: 13 (CANADA)
Practice: 1 (SWITZERLAND)
Joe: 1 (CUBA)

Jen, Meg, Carl, Jeremy, and Jeff! I think for some of you it was a matter of getting there too late, but thanks for playing. Congrats to Kaleb, Lisa, Anthony, Scott, Sarah, Sierra, Practice, and Joe on making it through, and to Joe and Practice for those scores.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 20:33
Aw, well. You're young and haven't had as much time to gain as much pointless knowledge.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 25-04-2016 20:34
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 20:36
Something something, it's bobsled time!
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 25-04-2016 20:36
Haha. Soon though.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 21:06
ROUND #2

Your second category iiis...

POP MUSIC

This is one some of you might like, if it weren't for the twist. The category concerns...

BEATLES SONGS IN FRENCH

I (...) have translated the titles of twelve Beatles songs into French, just for you! I know, you're welcome. You need to translate them back into English for me and give me the one you think would be the lowest scoring. Best of luck...and don't panic! Just think of song titles you know and try to make them fit. (Seriously, I didn't know most of them, but got one of the best based on knowing the translation of a single word.)

VOICI LE SOLEIL
TOUT QUE VOUS AVEZ BESOIN, C'EST D'AMOUR
BILLET A MONTER
LUCY DANS LE CIEL AVEC DES DIAMANTS
HIER
AVEC UN PEU D'AIDE DE MES AMIS
LE FOU SUR LA COLLINE
TANDIS QUE MA GUITARE PLEURE DOUCEMENT
DANS MA VIE
AU SECOURS!
SOUS-MARIN JAUNE
BONJOUR AU REVOIR
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 25-04-2016 21:09
Yes! This is a round for me. Beatles fan and I'm decent at French.

LE FOU SUR LA COLLINE - The Fool on the Hill
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 21:11
Hopefully I spelt everything correctly...and, Jeff, check out John Candy in Cool Runnings!

Also, the missing answer from the last round was INDIA for JOANNA LUMLEY (20 points).
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 25-04-2016 21:14
French is sort of Spanish yeah? Being somewhat able to speak Spanish, I'll try AVEC UN PEU D'AIDE DE MES AMIS as "With a Little Help From My Friends".
JDolla
JDolla | 25-04-2016 21:15
Well, at least Jet Li was chinese. I suck at celebrities, but fortunately my wrong answer saved me from this round. I don't speak a bit of french and not familiar with the beatles. So at least there's that.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 25-04-2016 22:25
HIER = Yesterday (took it as my favorite song of John Lennon and Paul McCartney) (I'm always wishing I could take back what I said .... "Yesterday"!)

* offtopic :
But again as part of what they call on TV news here "full disclosure" that I admit I was part of a team that rapidly translated a whole book from French to English for publication in 2001---But since then since I've hardly spoken or written a word until I entered this site so my French is rusty---I remember this word so was easily the one I took----I wonder----if Celine was playing (know she doesn't) --would someone like that be "exempt" or "recused" from this round? If so then maybe I should be...But I took an answer away anyway....Leaving other longer ones for others to guess at. I hope I don't win because then I'd have to consider maybe I'm better at French, unfair advantage!)
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 25-04-2016 22:35
TANDIS QUE MA GUITARE PLEURE DOUCEMENT - While my guitar gently weeps.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 25-04-2016 22:41
Haha, no, Practice, it's fine. Everyone has different backgrounds and sometimes some [backgrounds] will be more helpful in this than others, but I don't think anyone would consider that cheating. But thank you for your honesty.
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 25-04-2016 23:30
My French sucks.

BONJOUR AU REVOIR - Hello Goodbye
fishmunky
fishmunky | 26-04-2016 00:51
VOICI LE SOLEIL - Here comes the sun
roxcyn
roxcyn | 26-04-2016 03:26
BILLET A MONTER - Ticket to ride.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 26-04-2016 03:59
Just Kaleb to answer! Here are the remaining answers:

TOUT QUE VOUS AVEZ BESOIN, C'EST D'AMOUR
LUCY DANS LE CIEL AVEC DES DIAMANTS
DANS MA VIE
AU SECOURS!
SOUS-MARIN JAUNE
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 26-04-2016 16:57
DANS MA VIE - Let It Be

Probably wrong...oh well
megdoll187
megdoll187 | 26-04-2016 22:26
I can't believe no one picked my favorite song
Joeyy
Joeyy | 26-04-2016 22:31
What is it, Meg?
CarlJ
CarlJ | 26-04-2016 22:49
COOL RUNNINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry a bit late to get that in there. loved the movie. knew i was getting knocked out the first round....ahhh well. Good luck to you all in the second round.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 26-04-2016 23:12
ROUND #2 RESULTS

I don't think anyone let themselves down too badly this round, but at the end of it we are saying goodbye to...

Kaleb: X 100 (LET IT BE)
Sarah: 65 (HELLO GOODBYE)
Anthony: 40 (HERE COMES THE SUN)
Sierra: 31 (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS)
Scott: 28 (TICKET TO RIDE)
Joe: 21 (WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS)

Practice: 17 (YESTERDAY)
Lisa: 8 (THE FOOL ON THE HILL)

Kaleb, Sarah, Anthony, Sierra, Scott, and Joe! Bad luck. Kaleb, it was a nice try. And Sarah, at least your French is better than that of thirty-five British folk. It also wasn't the biggest scorer on there. But commiserations to you six - thanks for playing - and congrats to Practice and Lisa, who, in a repeat of the last quiz, face each other in the Head-to-Head!
megdoll187
megdoll187 | 27-04-2016 00:04
SOUS-MARIN JAUNE would be my fave
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 27-04-2016 00:33
Oh non !

Son déjà-vu !

So.... *curling, twirling in my fingers* my very French style mustache....

We meet again on the field of Pointless valor! Lisa!
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: