Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-04-2016 20:39

*Introductory theme tune*

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. looking up answers; asking others)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.

-------------------------------------------

WINNER: Juliet86, aka Lisa
RUNNER-UP: PracticePractic, aka Pract-Pie
101 to 125 of 143 comments
page 5 of 6
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 01-05-2016 00:38
Practice is a spy.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-05-2016 00:50
Practice is a spy.

Says the ever disarming and charming Jenn who poses in her new avatar as her "Kim Possible" alter ego!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-05-2016 01:14
Well Jen is a ninja, but we all knew that.

I think it's only fair you go first this time, Practice.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-05-2016 01:14
HEAD-TO-HEAD, DECIDER (#2)

OK, this should be easier. Your second decider question conceeerns...

PERFORMERS AT BBC'S BIG WEEKEND 2012

I'm going to show you five pictures of acts who performed at Radio 1's Big Weekend in Hackney 2012. Identify the most obscure and win the quiz. Here we go!

A
B
C
D
E
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-05-2016 01:57
Oh I'm not as good with concerts.... I avoid them as I complain about them changing the words, testing out new words.... and the You Tubes of concerts here at LSI I've complained since I got here...don't have the alternative wording in the lyrics listed (mostly mostly they don't!) that are played in concerts, so I stick to what is the "official" words for lyrics I want to know and memorize!

I should know these famous ones on sight....as I don't see any that I do....

Oh right, stop jabbering....

Someone wants an answer here....

OK: I'll just throw myself on my sword and Choose "E" X-Box Mouse (thanks to Jeff's lessons--but I did not consult with him!)

Its 4 am in Sweden I'm sure Lisa won't answer at 4 am--- so I'll relax for rest of night....awaiting a speech (funny one) by President Obama....don't have to check back till morning...
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 01-05-2016 08:07
I don't keep up well with current artists, but I believe I know two of them.

C - Will.I.Am
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 01-05-2016 08:26
I thought about phone as well, but made the unlucky choice of stone. But lucky that we were both as bad.

Daniel Radcliffe is a Londoner, so maybe Harry has a London accent in the movies? But not necessarily Cockney.

I don't know a lot of rhyming slang. I've heard a bit here and there on TV, but all I can remember right now is apples and pears = stairs (which you already said, but I did know it ) and trouble and strife = wife (which Practice mentioned).
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 01-05-2016 14:14
* offtopic :
Is this round related to The Voice? 3 of them are part of the coaches.

Oh dear, it stinks.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-05-2016 15:36
* offtopic :
Is this round related to The Voice? 3 of them are part of the coaches.

If they are Celine, I'm confused

I thought I knew all the coaches for The Voice (2016 lists them as: Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, Christina Aguilera and Pharrell Williams) none of the choices given look anything like them... or am I wrong again?
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 01-05-2016 17:14
* offtopic :
Not the current ones from the American version of The Voice, Practice. Either former or those from The Voice UK.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-05-2016 18:55
* offtopic :
So sorry for mixing that up Celine....

Got to watch the more shows on the "French" channel on cable here (but its all spoken/sung/played in French!!)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 05:24
Just a coincidence, I guess. But you're right, Celine, they have all been judges on the UK version of The Voice.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 05:25
Practice has said X-BOX MOUSE - and why not? Has Jeff taught him well? Let's find out!

Jeff is a terrible teacher.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 05:30
And for the quiz, Lisa has gone for WILL.I.AM ( ). Have we finally got a right answer?

A high-scoring one, but we have! That means Lisa is our winner of the 49th quiz, hurrayyy! But good game, Practice.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 05:31
You were close, Practice...well, sort of. It's DEADMAU5 and he would've scored 8 points - best answer on the board.

Who's the other you know, Lisa?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 05:33
* offtopic :
Daniel Radcliffe is a Londoner, so maybe Harry has a London accent in the movies? But not necessarily Cockney.

The "necessarily" there tells me you're still not sure what a Cockney accent sounds like, because I can assure you Daniel Radcliffe doesn't have one.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 02-05-2016 06:42
Not often you win with a 65. Good game, Practice.

Deadmau5 was the other one I knew.

I haven't seen the movies in a long time . But now that I think about it, I watched the QI episode with him on recently, and that's definitely not Cockney.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 02-05-2016 09:46
Congratulations to Lisa!

I am blinded by the brightness of her knowledge and having a good memory (compared to my own---see below)....

Now for some other topics..... on topic and off topic.. trying to keep them clear I'll number them so you can refer to a number to comment on them.... (wish Ray would number the posts automatically for me--makes it easier!!!)

I'll make it easy and post these Offtopic for them all:

* offtopic :

Deadmau5 was the other one I knew.

Yeah..... I go with the flow gaining memory from "context"

Yes I know "Dead-Mouse" I've never before seen it in print....only heard it said when he was performing for a few seconds on American TV, or if I did see it printed I totally forget its Deadmau5 with a 5 for the S? I didn't know so I'd get it wrong.... The "X"'s in the eyes are not for "X-Box" but because he is dead! Ok you see, you refreshed my memory....

2. And I know Will.I.am but I have nothing to connect the face in the given photo to my remembrances of him singing and anyway in acts I saw he's always dressed up differently---but he has that "notch" in his hair---and sure enough.... Joey got a photo with the notch in the hair showing if I had stared at it long enough.... I'd have seen it.... so boo hoo at my not noticing the finer details of the clues presented to me..... not a good game player at times and certainly not the good detective I'd imagined myself to be...

and that's the end of my complaining about the question/answers until I see who else from the UK's Voice I missed on the 5 photos.....(wanted to comment before Joey posted the answers so you know that's all I knew, just like Lisa....or until I'm reminded that I SHOULD have known one or more of the others.... I can be really stupid in my answers sometimes....) Re-reading it appears I lumped deadmau5 in with that sentence, NO I did not mean he was one of the judges on the Voice, but it reads like I did.... so again I keep correcting and re-phrasing my words!

* offtopic :
" Daniel Radcliffe is a Londoner, so maybe Harry has a London accent in the movies? But not necessarily Cockney. "

The "necessarily" there tells me you're still not sure what a Cockney accent sounds like, because I can assure you Daniel Radcliffe doesn't have one.

I'm sorry....I don't remember saying that quote..... I said a few times I was warning everyone that I was only quoting from the Videos so they were not my opinions.... I am just cutting and pasting information that is "new" to me to share and ask about.... innocently asking about....

I do know what "Cockney" sounds like---but if you ask me without playing a sample to recall who has what accent, Londoner, Cockney, Surrey, or even someone closer to Scotland with their stronger brogues... I can't immediately recall.... but if I'm given a reminder snippet of talk I'd have a go at it and probably guess right (got lots of training for various things from my Speech Professors----I can try to be or wanna be a sort of like I'm 'enry 'iggens in the flesh---if ya know what I mean there

QI episode with him on recently, and that's definitely not Cockney.

Yes, you all in Europe see everything Daniel Radcliffe has been in... I only remember he was here in the states playing on Broadway Theaters, in New York City (Yes, someday I'll win and get that "theatre" question off your hands Joey in a future Pointless!) in more than one play---and only seeing excerpts on TV as did not go see him in person!

I do get busy sometimes....

And thanks Lisa for exposing me to something new to watch for on BBC America... the QI series.... "Quite Interesting"---had to look it up---was not hard when you gave me that Daniel Radcliffe was on one of the shows --so now I know its a comedy series there....

For those here on the web and forum who demand accuracy: Daniel Radcliffe has appeared in Broadway and off Broadway productions, but sticking to major Broadway productions I missed any opportunity to see him in person acting in: The Cripple of Inishmaan, 2014; How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, 2011 and Equus ,2008

5. I wrote this long post a number of times..... always unhappy when I press send that my words are still not strong enough to be not misinterpreted.... but if I don't say anything then I"m just lurking on these sites and that is fine---but after a few years---you got to try writing something even if others disagree with you because they don't "get" what you meant when you wrote so terribly the first time.... and there I go again a long winded explanation for something someone else would have said in two words: "don't bother" (just joking) I'll keep on trying to write stuff even if I get misinterpreted as hopefully one day far far down the line I'll finally learn how to express my thoughts in writing properly!!

6. I am saying this HERE in your Pointless game thread----so its far off off off off topic... I did not comment on your great writing to the person in the post What is this poem about? What are your interpretation? as you said it just perfectly in Comment #12 there, and anything I'd have written to add or applaud you there might have gone sideways and destroyed your good writing you spent a lot of time and effort to compose properly....

So I did want to thank you somewhere for sharing your private poem about Zombies with the rest of the world (colouring the rhymes is a nice touch!!!) and us who are not yet among the walking un-dead and who find struggling to live in the world of the living hard enough!
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 02-05-2016 14:12
Are the others Jessie J and... Either Gwen Stefani or Rita Ora? Well! How many points for them, Joey?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 02-05-2016 14:43
Jeff is a terrible teacher.

Blimey!

Bummer that I didn't make it to this round because I would've dominated. I listen to Deadmau5 24/7! :p
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 02-05-2016 16:30
I listen to Deadmau5 24/7!

Yes, but I didn't remember the spelling of the name or how to say it when I needed the answer Jeff...... Guess I have to come back to you for more music refresher lessons in EDM!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 17:06
Practice, don't be so hard on yourself! You're not stupid in your answers; you just didn't recognise anyone. It happens. I have terrible facial recognition.

I'm sorry....I don't remember saying that quote.....

That's because Lisa said it.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 17:10
You're correct, Celine!

D is JESSIE J and scored 50 points.

B is RITA ORA and scored 18 points.

A was a pointless answer - MICHAEL KIWANUKA.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 02-05-2016 17:15
Oh, is Deadmau5 read as Deadmouse? I have no idea what that is other than Jeff posts that he listens to them over and over all the time.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-05-2016 18:14
Haha, I was there once.

Lisa, final?
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: