Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-04-2016 20:39

*Introductory theme tune*

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. looking up answers; asking others)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.

-------------------------------------------

WINNER: Juliet86, aka Lisa
RUNNER-UP: PracticePractic, aka Pract-Pie
76 to 100 of 143 comments
page 4 of 6
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 02:50
Lisa went first with FINDING NEMO for the animated film ("Just keep swimming!") That scores...

Fifty-five! Quite high, but I've a feeling you might be all right... ;p
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 02:53
And Practice has given us CLOWNSTILTPHOBIA (as an answer, not literally ). Is that right?

Noo, sadly not. So after the first question, Lisa is one point up! But Practice remains ever the gentleman.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 03:01
The best answer on the board was GRIMALDI for the entertainer - 7 points.

COULROPHOBIA is the answer you were looking for. It scored 12 points. Perhaps from twelve coulrophobes!

EMELI SANDE gave the world Clown in 2012. I'm not a fan, but I do like other songs of hers. Twenty-five points for that.

And THE TEARS OF A CLOWN was the 1970 Motown hit. It scored 53 points.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-04-2016 03:04
Thanks for the birds question [#37]..... I remember now I see I answered Kiwi....and lost there too... Not a problem I keep trying to get a win no matter what!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-04-2016 03:34
In the last quiz you mentioned something about studying British history as a child, or so I thought, and it didn't seem like the kind of history an American child would learn about

And why not? Don't you study American History (from the viewpoint of Britain of course!) in your schools? I had a choice! I actually chose Britain along with India: i.e. East India Tea Co. I recall and China: i.e. Hong Kong and Opium Wars and all of the other British Colonies around the world... famous phrase ' the sun never sets on the British Empire' " so I got a world wide course for that! I still have on a shelf the three texts (India) (China)(British Colonialism) all by same author, for that course they were so well written--they're not old to me as history in the past never changes and have all my notes stuffed in pages in note papers!

* offtopic :
Just wondering what the British school textbooks say about us upstart colonies.... hmm let me imagine (hazy image as I day dream) Oh right here it says about how "The British sent those American colonists our very best tea! And what do they do with it? Dump it in Boston Harbor! What a waste of perfectly good tea! Well we're not going to send them any more tea, just for that!"

Thanks again for your early assistance with that "Horrible Histories" song about the Kings/Queens of Britain in order! Remember I asked you if you know of one like that!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 03:51
HEAD-TO-HEAD, PART 2

You need to win this one to stay in it, Practice. Your second question concerns...

LITERARY TITLES FEATURING WEDDING ANNIVERSARY GIFTS

I'm going to show you the title of five literary works. I've missed out one word from each and that word is the name of a traditional wedding anniversary. Can you fill in the gaps and give me the most obscure?

__________ MAGNOLIAS BY ROBERT HARLING
THE __________ IN THE SMOKE BY PHILIP PULLMAN
THE __________ ISLAND BY R. M. BALLANTYNE
CAT ON A HOT __________ ROOF BY TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
THE GIRL WITH A __________ EARRING BY TRACY CHEVALIER
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-04-2016 03:58
My turn first!

THE GIRL WITH A __________ EARRING BY TRACY CHEVALIER -- PEARL
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 28-04-2016 06:50
Aw, Practice, you shouldn't have done that. Next time just answer what you want to answer. I'm the competition, you shouldn't be nice to me.

__________ MAGNOLIAS BY ROBERT HARLING
Steel
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-04-2016 13:37
I'm the competition, you shouldn't be nice to me.

Its a friendly competiiton! For the grand prize of "nothing!" (Not that I'd act differently if this was really 'Pointless' or 'Jeopardy!' or any other number of games)...

Its ok! I'm the nice guy.... remember? And recall the American Baseball manager who famously stated: "Nice guys finish last!"

Nice guys also don't get the girl (some girls [generally] prefer the bad boys).

Anything else I missed? (Emoji of a smiling flower)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 20:20
* offtopic :
I find that mindset so weird. My male friends here in the UK are all lovely and have great relationships. And as a former immoral teenage lesbian, I can tell you that guys being unpleasant to young girls is a great way to drive them into the arms of an understanding female. All they need is an even slightly open mind, and so many of them have one.

Anyway, that really is nice of you, Practice, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a quiz in the first place, and I'm not sure everyone appreciates someone "letting" them win. It might feel a) patronising and b) pointless (which may be the name of the quiz and aim of the game in terms of answers, but it's possible no one would play if they thought their opponent wasn't going to try).
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 20:26
So Practice has said it's THE GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING. That scored...

Forty-eight! Despite it also being a famous painting by Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer and a 2003 film starring Scarlett Johansson, Tut. tut.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 20:30
Can STEEL MAGNOLIAS beat that? Let's find out...

No! Ten points higher. A a comedy–drama play set in Louisiana. Good job, Practice; you remain in the game.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 28-04-2016 20:41
Best answer was THE CORAL ISLAND, by Scottish author R. M. Ballantyne. It was published in 1858 and is about the adventures of three boys marooned on an island after a shipwreck. Six points for that.

THE RUBY IN THE SMOKE scored 13 points. I thought one of you might know it, but maybe it's only well-known here. (I say that. but thirteen is shocking!) (Random fact for Lisa: A TV Film adaptation aired in 2006 starring Billie Piper and marking the TV debut of Matt Smith, who, as you'll know, later took over the role of The Doctor in Doctor Who, which Piper was also in.)

And the highest scoring answer was CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF - 87 points. Famous play from the 50s.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 29-04-2016 01:02
oh wow that was close....10 points! I got to try harder...

* offtopic :
I will respond to your other comments! I can't believe my written words come out so poorly and make me appear to you different than I think I want to appear and act here! And I do write many (2-3-4 ) different versions before posting the one I think expresses my viewpoints most clearly!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 29-04-2016 04:47
* offtopic :
Not poorly, Practice. You still come across as the nice guy, but people don't enter competitions for their opponents to let them win. That's all I meant.

I'll post the final question later. Sorry for the wait!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 04:16
HEAD-TO-HEAD, DECIDER

Apologies, I forgot I was out on Saturday. And when I got in I just forgot, because I'm awesome like that. Your third and final question (unless you both provide incorrect answers) concerns...

COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG

OK, so. There's a good chance neither of you will know these, but I've been holding onto the question for a while and realised it's either delete it or use it for non-Brits. I'm going to show you five pictures for this question and those pictures will represent a phrase from Cockney Rhyming Slang. You need to tell me what that phrase refers to.

Cockney Rhyming Slang is...rhyming slang Londoners (not all ) use, basically. So, just as it sounds. For example (one that isn't used in the question), apples and pears means stairs. Sooo...think along those lines, and good luck! :/

A
B
C
D
E
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 30-04-2016 06:44
I know about rhyming slang, but I don't know any of these, so I'm gonna have to just guess.

C - stone?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-04-2016 08:24
Oh whot's that now?? Lisa got her a'swer in?

'y turn now mate....

But 've forgo'n soooo much!

I'll go with A pen and ink is "think"? . My answer.

* offtopic :
Other thoughts.....since everyone in the head to head has "gone" now......

Lisa took mine---the easiest one I'd have gone with as I was more certain : I though' C a dog and bone is "tele-phone"

I also can see a "knife" = "wife" but since I didn't know the proper phrase its ______and Knife to make it a wife... not "knife" + ____something else___ which if he is holding it up... I have no idea what to call that action of holding it up.... Looks like the guy from 'Sweeny Todd' The Demon Barber from ____Street? Fleet? Street? I forget.... (whom a relative just saw acted out as a play). Then its not a knife...but a razor??? SO that is why I refused to choose that one...I have no idea what razor rhymes with!

But I've lost lost this round all due to my being too long away from watching our PBS Shows like: Mystery! Inspector Morse, spin off: Inspector Lewis, Rumpole of the Bailey, the one with Helen Mirren in it forgot name... Second Sight, etc...only ones I remember and other shows from the BBC and UK with true speaking of the British people from all walks of life..
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-04-2016 12:17
===============ok I looked these up AFTER I posted ok? I really can't hold everything I know in side my mind at same time.... I need refresher courses once every 10-15 yrs or so!=======================

This is just for fun....its Hollywood's version of this Question: What is Cockney English?......( tried to find one showing Liza (the Great British Actress Audrey Hepburn) talking/walking on the streets with the flowers--but could not!)

But I am a true Ex-Londoner... I KNOW this (I mean the You Tube below here) is proper way to speak: (not the Queen's English or Posh as Joey has pointed out to me numerous times). (I can't believe how much you can find in "YouTube"!!! I had to learn all this stuff for acting classes or my Speech Professors for various acting roles the old fashioned way---yes...marbles in mouth (ok ok we used cotton balls as you don't want to swallow any!).....

and..

Quoted from the site:
Welcome to this series of lessons on how to get/improve your British accent.
Apologies to everyone British who doesn't speak with a London accent. Feel free to vent your anger at us in the comments

* offtopic :
Interesting how he mentioned that Harry Potter is a Londoner in the way he talks he would not be as cool if he was from 'Manchester'---of all places to have him name.... (Don't look at me that way Joey! I'm just copying and pasting!!!)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 22:31
But I am a true Ex-Londoner...

Ah, so an American, but you did live here...

Harry Potter isn't from London, he's from Surrey. He wouldn't have a Cockney accent.

Curious to know which Cockney Rhyming Slang you do know, Lisa, if not any of these.

And Practice, I would have reminded you that the person who answers second can give a different answer for the same option as their opponent, but I don't think I can let you to do that now that you've looked into the subject.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 22:58
Lisa has said STONE for C. Let's see if that's right and what it scores.

Nope, 'fraid 'tis incorrect.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 22:59
And Practice has said THINK for A. Is this one correct?

Nope! Never mind. Thanks for giving it a go.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 23:10
So I'll go through them in alphabetical order this time.

A did represent a pen and ink, but it refers to STINK and would have scored you forty-seven.

B represents a tea leaf, which refers to a THIEF. A surprisingly low 38 points for that.

C is a dog and bone, but refers to PHONE. Highest-scoring answer on 85 points.

D - the toughest one on the board - represents Sweeney Todd himself, and refers to the FLYING SQUAD. Only 6 points.

E represents our traditional Christmas pudding, mince pies, and refers to a person's EYES. Fifty-six points.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 23:26
HEAD-TO-HEAD, DECIDER (#2)

OK, this should be easier. Your second decider question conceeerns...

PERFORMERS AT BBC'S BIG WEEKEND 2012

I'm going to show you five pictures of acts who performed at Radio 1's Big Weekend in Hackney 2012. Identify the most obscure and win the quiz. Here we go!

A
B
C
D
E
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-05-2016 00:19
A couple of questions before we begin..........

Harry Potter isn't from London, he's from Surrey. He wouldn't have a Cockney accent

I was wondering about that when he said it.... I was more interested in getting it posted before you and Lisa came back and posted your own responses to separate it from the rest of the section.... So I didn't take time to look into it....

Let no one say you don't have an excellent memory Joey! Just has to be something you're interested in, like HP or other topics "arrghhh" rather than useless random facts that do not impact your life!

And Practice, I would have reminded you that the person who answers second can give a different answer for the same option as their opponent, but I don't think I can let you to do that now that you've looked into the subject.

Thanks! I was fully aware of the rules... but while I did hope I expressed a wistful (!) big word for here but appropriate) feelings for having missed out on that one.... trying a second time for one question that I felt "everyone" (and they did!)" would have guessed rather than going for one that might be a lower score, made the choice clear.... go for the lower scoring one, win or lose rather than correcting Lisa on a higher scoring one that I might still have lost if I was again as wrong as she was in proposing the answer....

did represent a pen and ink, but it refers to STINK and would have scored you forty-seven.

(My alternative answer to it since I did not answer definitely was "sink" going with house parts like in your example of "apples + pears = stairs" but then I thought.... why would they ALL be parts of a house? So I gave up on that one....and one more...)

the toughest one on the board - represents Sweeney Todd himself, and refers to the FLYING SQUAD. Only 6 points

I should get a "shout out" for at least recognizing "Sweeney Todd" as the subject..... but how do you get "Flying Squad" from his photo/him with his razor? What phraseology known to Londoners am I missing?
I just Googled it and found out its a affectionate/local slang name for London's mobile Police Force (from 1919!) So don't have to go into it .....I should HAVE known that one believe it or not...Still can't get how they got there from "Sweeney Todd" as a rhyme!

and the most important question of them all....

We usually alternate turns as in on the show.......but since the "Decider #1" failed, does Lisa get to go first again, since it is still considered the Decider question turn?

I'm fine either way----just let us know what is your decision on this Judge Joey! (hmmmm new job for you to do!)....

* offtopic :
P.S. to make it clearer.... or more muddled.... (or muggled?)

Ah, so an American, but you did live here...

Its "complicated" like everything else I do.... need a evening warm fireside chat for a few hours to fully explain away that one.... Till that time then...
"I see nothing... I know nothing...."
Sargent Schultz of 'Hogan's Heroes'
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: