LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

"Verified" lyrics pop-up

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-04-2016 22:23
A few months ago, I PMed Ray about this. I got no response, however, and since it's probably buried deep in his PMs, I figure it's better to make a topic about it.

So, back in January, I tried to correct this song, as it is missing some backing vocals and has an unnecessary "(SOLO)" in the lyrics that should be taken out. Yet when I tried to save it, I got this pop-up:

"These lyrics have been verified, they are correct and can't be changed."

I've only seen this pop-up this one time and it rather surprised me. I'm a bit confused - what does this mean exactly? Who "verified" these lyrics, and how did they do so in order for this pop-up to appear?
7 comments
roxcyn
roxcyn | 20-04-2016 22:57
Hi! They might have been verified by LyricFind and set to not be changed. I'm guessing? The only bad thing with that is sometimes the "official" releases aren't the complete lyrics. As we see with The Fixx, and Billie Myers - they put a poem in progress toward the song. Or with New Radicals, they put a totally different song in the lyric booklet versus recording.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 20-04-2016 23:02
I'm not too sure about that. IIRC LetsSingIt's lyrics are licensed by LyricFind and if that was what was causing this pop-up, I'd certainly run into this pop-up a lot more. But like I said, I've only run into it just this once. It's best to wait and see see what Ray says, but my guess is that it's an outdated pop-up that should have gotten removed.
Ray
Ray | 21-04-2016 16:20
I can "lock" lyrics for further corrections. I do this when I can verify the lyrics with a trusted source, often the official website of the artist.

It's not only useful to lock lyrics, simple because they are correct, but also to stop endless correcting the same song by two "camps" that differ in an opinion on one or a few words in the lyrics.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 21-04-2016 22:35
Ahh, okay. I have some follow-up questions for you, then:

1) How many lyrics are "locked" like this? A small portion, I'd assume, since I've only run into it just this once.
2) Who can edit these "locked" lyrics? Can the artist moderator or a super moderator edit them, or are they locked for everyone except you?
3) Do you still "lock" lyrics often, and are you the only one who has the power to do so?
4) I understand that it's useful to lock lyrics, but in this particular case, there actually are some things that need to be fixed with "Spiders" by System of a Down, the one I linked with the verified lyrics. For one, the "(SOLO)" needs to be removed (it's not part of the sung lyrics) and there's some whispered backing vocals in the first verse that repeat what Serj Tankian sings. Additionally, there's some wrong capitalization on two lines ("Before you know, Awake"). What should I do about this? Do you want me to PM you with the corrections?
Ray
Ray | 21-04-2016 22:41
1) 55 ... you found the needle
2) nobody, locked = untouchable
3) I only lock lyrics where discussions run hot, haven't seen it lately. So no
4) I unlocked the lyrics for that song, it didn't meet the criteria to stay locked
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 21-04-2016 23:02
Thanks for the answers I just submitted the corrections.

I'm kind of curious what the other 54 songs are, but that's probably confidential information. Not because I want to change them or anything (obviously I can't anyway) but I wanted to see if there's any I know. I know of some songs that had some wild debate over the lyrics on other lyrics sites so I already have a few in mind that could possibly be on the list, haha.
Ray
Ray | 21-04-2016 23:18
top secret.... you didn't get this from me

1. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
2. Dido - Don't Think Of Me
3. Dido - Here With Me
4. Dido - Hunter
5. Dido - My Lover's Gone
6. Simple Plan - Addicted
7. Simple Plan - My Alien
8. Simple Plan - When I'm With You
9. Frank Sinatra - New York, New York