Just for fun.
Yes10 (52.6 %)vote
No9 (47.4 %)vote
total votes: 19
26 to 48 of 48 comments
page 2 of 2
roxcyn
roxcyn | 08-02-2016 04:32
Yeah if you have VOIP like Vonage or Magic Jack that's still a home phone.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 08-02-2016 07:18
What does VOIP mean? Very Often Internet Progression?

But home phone and landline phone do not mean the same to me. That is what I meant by answering "no" and "haven't used one...", so my answer was right! A wireless phone and a base can be "home phones", even when connected to FTTH (Fiber To The Home), but not "landline phones". "Cell phone" is just a phone that does not have a base.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 08-02-2016 07:27
Oh, I see. There are different types of landline - plain old telephone system (wires that connect to directly to the base of your phone, then the phone system could be all wired or a wireless home phone set).

Then you have wireless cellular home service. You get a little device that connects to the cellular network, but you connect home phones to it to use as your home phone.

Then you have Voice over internet protocol (VOIP). You connect your internet to a device that allows you to take home calls.

So all of these I'd say are landlines.

Wikipedia has an interesting article.
noblejean
noblejean | 11-02-2016 22:39
Yes
The ONLY phone I use. I don't use any phone any more. I'm retired and at home most of the time. Very senior adult. I make email appointments to use the phone
I won't let wireless in my home. .
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 12-02-2016 01:35
Oh no, Scott, I'm not that wrong. So was my "no" counted as a right answer?

I don't use that VOIP thingy.

Then you have wireless cellular home service. You get a little device that connects to the cellular network, but you connect home phones to it to use as your home phone.

I really don't understand. What's the difference with...

plain old telephone system (wires that connect to directly to the base of your phone, then the phone system could be all wired or a wireless home phone set).

This must be what I've been using for 10 years. So I have a landline phone? Oh no!

The "landline phone" definition must be revised. And that WP article is not very helpful since the photos show landline phones with cord.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 12-02-2016 05:36
Wireless home phone set = can use any landline service. It is the unit you make/receive calls, get voicemail, etc. You have a base set and you hook up the phone and can make/receive calls without the wire restricting you .

Wireless home phone service = uses a cellular network instead of the copper wires or VOIP. Here is an example.
sunnysalander
sunnysalander | 14-03-2016 11:20
No
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 15-03-2016 14:21
Yes
Yes, and you (everyone) should still have at least one!

Why? I've been involved in this for many years here's so many reasons I have to count them!

1. In an Emergency---Cell towers go down---Internet gets Interrupted, so the home phone that is only your "wireless" cell phone is totally useless..... Internet in an emergency has proven time and time again to get overloaded when disaster strikes and the power or other problems cause systems to fail (Not talking about fake ones you may see in movies like "Live Free To Die Hard" --but who can predict the future?)

2. During daily living there are always some emergencies locally that the "government" would have an overriding public need to communicate with the people in a timely manner---i.e. imminent health or safety crises. There is a system in place in many areas in the US and Canada (Don't know about other countries like France, maybe Celine can tell me if its there too?) called "Reverse 911" (Not the best article but you get the idea quickly enough what this is).

Of course the system has one major defect! It only senses and uses "landlines" to communicate. Its old technology---compared to everything else today---so it can't automatically detect Cell Phone or cordless/wireless VOIP systems either using a computer or the Internet.

Thus those people who live with only cell phones or VOIP are totally in the dark when emergencies arise---for example if the water system is contaminated due to a water break and you are told to boil water or get sick! Well, the ones with landlines get notified via 911---but other people have to wait to read it in the news or TV or radio or maybe miss it altogether and get sick as a result.

So go right ahead!

Be very careful how you spend your telecommunications budget! Get only one cell phone for your household and cut the landlines! But remember reading this someday when your health suffers and you have to pay for doctors or worse (!) for having been in the dark about this situation!

3. It effects the whole United States Political process.

Did I say that? Yes... been there done that. IT is FRUSTRATING for pollsters today.

So many people have cut the landline to save money---that polls conducted by telephone are becoming useless in predicting elections and (if you are watching any of the major TV media--or Newspapers--or major national magazines) All of them reporting polling results have a * next to it saying landline phones only (Go look I'm certain you'll find them easily else I'll post a couple here and write more---but you would rather I write less, yes?

Anyway....

The only people who are maintaining their landlines are becoming slowly a majority of elderly, mainly white, people who are just not tech savvy enough to know how to do cell phones or VOIP (as they maybe can't use a computer or well enough to add in VOIP and have no one to help them).

So the polls that everyone is looking at to say who is "winning" in a state before the elections take place are becoming more and more useless---as the polls reflect the opinions of elderly mainly white people who tend to keep the lines (That is why CNN has stopped doing those almost entirely are relying upon "exit" polling---but they have to wait until election day to get them, so they are Frustrated by the rise of cell phone usage....) Minorities especially those from foreign countries are much more tech savvy, so even if elderly, they are clever enough to figure out the computers and go and try new things like cell or home wireless systems (like the AT&T one Scott showed in his posting above).

4. To digress to another topic (I don't know where it was mentioned in Randomness so good luck in searching for it) about the Apple phone privacy issue..... This is why cell phones are private and you can't "locate" them if you are a "government" so they can't be legally added in to the "Reverse 911" system without violating privacy act rules, etc. etc. that Apple is fighting to uphold in the Courts today. I added this paragraph in case some of you figure out why can't they add in the phone numbers for cell phones? Its been done! Very time consuming.... someone has to offer up to the government their cell phone and connect it to a physical address and then they have to manually program the "Reverse 911" system to include that number with the others when dialing in an area. This is not how to run an emergency database that has to function quickly in an emergency! Many problems occur---such as calls to the cell numbers at 2 am as the per-programmed numbers are one system and the cell numbers are tacked onto that...so you have to call those in a "bunch" separately from the landline phones! Been there, done that!

Thanks everyone for reading this...

I only hope some of you (yes it costs a bit---you can reduce the cost of a landline by getting a "rotary" dial phone... no one says it has to be push button! It will still work in an emergency due to low voltage of the telephone lines---but you won't be able to send a pulse tone unless you buy the phone with a "switch" (more money) that converts it to a pulse phone to send tones so you can select menus----that should reduce costs for having a landline that can save your life one day to roughly $7 a month across the country.... Think about it.... you would not buy a car today without seat belts and air bags to reduce the cost of the car, right?

So why is it so difficult to spend $84 a year just to have a landline emergency phone? (don't use it for long distance and you'll continue to save a lot more!).
So why is it so difficult to spend $84 a year just to have a landline emergency phone? (don't use it for long distance and you'll continue to save a lot more!).
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 15-03-2016 14:29
tl;dr
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 15-03-2016 14:32
ts;dc (too short; don't care..... its your loss not to read things!)
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 15-03-2016 14:37
It was a simple yes or no question and once again, you go overboard. That's alright though, maybe someone will read it.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 15-03-2016 14:46
Thanks! You have much more experience with these polls than I do (compare your 208 votes to my paltry 21!)
robdog2008
robdog2008 | 15-03-2016 15:41
Yes
yeah got a mainline phone, mostly for family calls
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 15-03-2016 22:49
No
Haven't had one since 2005.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 16-03-2016 07:02
* offtopic :
That is pretty rude, Jeff.

We don't get alerts like you're talking about on our phone, Practice. We mainly have it for fax purposes. It's very confident when we had to send something to businesses and we don't have to go to whatever store and pay $1 per page. It's there, and we can send faxes. Another nice thing, you can use it for an intercom. If there were a storm, I would bet money the landline would go done here because many times when it rains hard or snows a lot, they have to come out and fix the line.

I agree with the polls and such because cellular calls aren't supposed to receive robo calls unless you give some permission before so these pollsters have to manually dial everything and I don't think they bother with doing that so you can get crappy results.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 23-03-2016 10:00
Well, I do clearly agree with my own answer. Haven't seen a landline phone since 2006 - I was right! Scott, you told me the wrong kind of thing, didn't U? FTTH for television/Internet/telephone do not count as landline since 2006.

Goodbye!
Jess_Keko
Jess_Keko | 23-03-2016 10:45
No
roxcyn
roxcyn | 23-03-2016 23:57
Hi Céline. It depends on who is defining home phone I guess.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 24-03-2016 06:29
It depends on who is defining home phone I guess.

My parents or I? I guess home phone and landline phone are not the same.

The poll question is so complicated that I'll stick to my "no" instead.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 24-03-2016 12:50
* offtopic :
Sorry if it confused you,
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 25-03-2016 02:56
No
TygrHawk
TygrHawk | 29-10-2016 05:32
Yes
Yes, but I'm leaning towards doing away with it. The main reason I keep it is because that's the number I've used as my "home phone" for so long, and many businesses, doctors, etc. will call that number, or use the last four digits to verify my identity.

However, calls to my home phone get forwarded to my cell anyway lol
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 02-10-2018 09:33
Scott : please don't post any links about landline phone anymore since they're boule chite.

In France, they've got a plan to stop it somewhere in 2019, only to privilege mobile phones - not a good affair. (Well, who'll pay the phone taxes from now on since mobile do not count?)
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: