LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Why are post counts not exact? (possible glitch) [solved]

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 09-01-2016 20:18
Yes, this is a minor thing, but I've always wondered this.

When I first joined this site, it said I had 1,000 posts on my profile, which really confused me at the time. I brushed it off as a glitch and assumed it would fix itself, but it never did. Now, it says I have 8,253 posts, which is untrue. When I check my post history, it says I only have a little over 1,900 posts. Even when I go to some other profiles, the number is off on all of the ones I've checked. It seems completely arbitrary, too - some people's post counts are off by a few hundred and some by a few thousand. It's really weird and seems to be random.

Has it always been glitched like this and has anyone cared enough to point it out? I don't really care about my post count as much as some other people do, but I do think it's important if the number is this wildly off, and it probably deserves being looked into.
26 to 39 of 39 comments
page 2 of 2
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-01-2016 20:48
Yes, it does. Two posts each, to be precise. It shouldn't though.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 14-01-2016 20:49
Ah okay, that's helpful info. So maybe Ray can look into that, since submissions shouldn't be counted as posts. But again, since he said he "can't pull exact calculations" I'm inclined to think that means this isn't fixable. But we'll wait and see what he says.

I wonder if song/album/etc. corrections are like this too and count as posts. If they do, that might explain the extra few thousand posts I have, along with artist submissions.
Ray
Ray | 14-01-2016 22:47
Ok, al lot of talking, makes my head spin

Post count stats are lost, there is indeed no way to reset post counts to the correct number. I read some actions increase your post count while they actually shouldn't. What are these actions? I'll fix these. A plan?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 14-01-2016 23:46
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but according to Sierra, submitting stuff through the public review counts towards your post count. I'm assuming that goes for anything you submit through the public review. Which is strange, because if you add an item to an artist's archive through the artist page and not the public review, it doesn't count it as a post.

So if you were to fix these, would our post counts automatically reset? Or would they just not count these actions henceforth? If it's the latter, could we perhaps request our post count to be fixed personally? I'm assuming you have the power to do that, since you said earlier today that you could decrease my post count by 1,000 (with that, I'm assuming you can make post counts any number you want, such as my "real" post count).
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-01-2016 23:48
Submitting material on this page will increase post count. But apparently not if you do it directly on artists pages.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-01-2016 23:52
He said post count stats are lost.
Ray
Ray | 20-01-2016 15:08
I found the bug that caused the post counter to increase when submitting material through these pages. I think I fixed it
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 26-01-2016 01:38
Good to hear! Is it still on the table for you to manually fix our post counts? You didn't answer my last question where I asked if you could simply decrease a certain person's post count by a certain amount. While you said post count data was lost, you did say you could decrease my post count by 1,000 if it bothered me, so I'm assuming you can decrease it by any amount, right?

If that's the case, you can decrease my comment number to 2,041 (at least, until I start posting more after this, so you could just decrease it to whatever my post count is at that time).
Ray
Ray | 26-01-2016 18:53
I'm not adjusting post counts, sorry guys.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 26-01-2016 20:47
I understand that. But now I'm just confused why you told me you'd decrease my post count by 1,000 if you're not adjusting post counts. Was that a joke and I wasn't supposed to take it seriously? It's hard for me to pick up jokes on the internet sometimes (because of the lack of body language/tone of voice) so maybe that just went over my head
Ray
Ray | 26-01-2016 22:33
I was joking indeed. No problem about the misunderstanding.
Ray
Ray | 26-01-2016 22:39
Ah, never mind. I updated your count. Now I only hope that people don't all get in line to have their counts changed
Joeyy
Joeyy | 26-01-2016 23:07
That was good of you, Ray, and I hope Nicolas is very grateful. I don't think the rest of us are that bothered.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-01-2016 00:17
I guess it was a change of heart, Ray? I do appreciate it, thank you.

And for the record, Joeyy, I previously stated that I don't care about my post count as much as other people (as in I don't really care to flaunt it when I reach post milestones), but the fact that my post count was wildly off was a tad bit off-putting to me. A minor irritant, really, but I am happy that it's fixed.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: