en

I don't stand on ceremony

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 28-11-2015 23:52
Hey everyone...

I'm not big on ceremonies or "milestones" so I don't post there in that thread ....or the 1000 posting milestone one

That Ultimate Christmas Playlist suggestions was my 1,990th posting (this being the 1,991st---of course in far distant future of the LetsSingIt website and Internet, everyone won't know that as it always shows one's avatar with the latest highest posting totals, not the one when I posted here and now)

So maybe I'll just avoid getting to 2,000.....

I'm thinking of not posting anymore!

(I owe a few I've promised and I keep my promises, so my posting totals will get higher first)

But I don't like ceremonies....for myself that is...for others its OK! I'm on board with that.....

SO since I won't have any postings in the future .... Here's my wishing you a Happy 1 millionth posting Jeff! (just getting the balloons and party favors ready.... it will take a while to get them organized to fall at just the right time!)

[I will still "like" things---no one cares about the like totals---still wondering what Jeff was referring to when he said "10 likes in Randomness thread" or something like that 2 days ago]

* offtopic :
(I posted this as a separate topic to let it stand alone-----as within 1 or 2 hours this posting would have vanished deep into the Big (> 1000 Comments) that characterizes the 182nd of the Randomness Threads!)
1 to 25 of 35 comments
page 1 of 2
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 29-11-2015 00:09
I can guarantee you I'm not getting to a million..
Joeyy
Joeyy | 29-11-2015 00:38
Don't leave me, Practice!
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 29-11-2015 02:04
Sorry to see this Practice.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 29-11-2015 02:11
This is really sad. I do not approve.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 29-11-2015 03:17
Come on, Practice. Give in to us.

Peer pressure: Not always a bad thing?

(Don't tell my niece I said that. )
roxcyn
roxcyn | 29-11-2015 05:43
I'm sorry you're leaving. Keep on touch and let us know what you're up to.
CarlJ
CarlJ | 05-12-2015 17:21
come on Practice...stick around...it's just getting interesting....jeff may actually go to college! lol
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 05-12-2015 17:29
Sorry, but what is the reason to stop posting?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 05-12-2015 17:30
Maybe he really likes the number 2,000.

You know me, Practice, I'm all about the nice even numbers, but can't you got for 12,000 instead?
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 05-12-2015 17:32
But he said he'd avoid getting to 2,000. So maybe he doesn't like it?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 05-12-2015 17:38
What does me going to college have anything to do with it?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 05-12-2015 17:39
'Cause you know Practice will have lots of helpful advice about getting through college!

And oh yeah, I forgot about the "avoid" part... Must've repressed it due to the horrible idea of ending on a possible odd number. :p
roxcyn
roxcyn | 05-12-2015 19:20
He always has something positive or constructive to say.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 05-12-2015 19:25
Yeah that's for sure..
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 06-12-2015 11:16
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your comments here....

I guess I'm using up posting number 1,995, to reply to everyone...

But...

I had some other comments from everyone's earlier postings about children in Randomness and the latest ones in Randomness yesterday, etc, about the music writing/composing process.

So many comments I wish to add in ---just jump to the end if you only want to read about those items...

for now...

Here is the scoop of the avoiding 2,000 for Lisa, Jeff, Joey who are asking about the "why"....

Other than Y2K crisis I had when many computers I serviced/utilized were going to "implode" on that date if we didn't re-program everything to have "four" date slots versus the "two" Bill Gates gave us in "DOS" programming etc (its clumsy but that is the short answer for most non-computer people though I'm certain Joe with his expertise would have written a better explanation for that)... I have nothing against "even" or "odd" numbers or the number 2,000. (sorry for yelling in bold... I had it in italics... but it got lost in the large posting here....

I'm only commenting and concerned here about what everyone normally does... celebrate and make a big deal of "milestones" and they usually pick certain ones like 50th Wedding Anniversary etc.. (ha ha a unbridled plug for my review of "112 Weddings" in the Movie Review thread----I was going to post my newest review today, but I'll hold off to see if I need any more space to respond to anything you say here about what I'm posting today since I only planned on having 4 more posts after this one!)

Does it make sense now? I'm just not into the milestones celebrations (JUST WHEN THEY ARE FOR ME)

I LOVE doing it for others....

I just make my own a silent, private no one send me birthday cards please, etc. type of thing when I hit milestones....

I'd rather spend my time and effort celebrating others---making a big deal! "popping" champagne corks etc if that is what you all like to do!

I will miss out on many things:

as Joey pointed out (by the way----you nailed it with South Park (?) Butter's Squirrel costume avatar!)

'Cause you know Practice will have lots of helpful advice about getting through college!

I guess I can still be here and "like" things that are posted.....others post for advice etc for you Jeff....as if I'm in agreement with them....

BUT

We don't have a "dislike " button yet... so I can't tell you without posting what I don't like and why...

And of course...

My biggest gripe about the "like" button... (does anyone else see what I see? or am I the only one here complaining about the "like" button here and in other boards/forums?)

is that when someone posts 3-4 lines about 3-4 things...

And I Agree 100% with the first one , but not the second... and agree 50% with the third one but no opinion on the fourth...

Pressing "like" button means I like ALL FOUR Lines/Thoughts!

Now what?

So that is why people have to post (and I have to write so long) as I don't always agree with what is written in the whole post... Maybe someone might write one day, and enforce a dumb rule like "only one thought per post"----then liking or not liking the post, that one idea, one thought one subject is easier.

Got off topic of the reason for this thread....

Certainly not the or my last word on this thread/topic.....but for this posting my last comment (before the off topic ones below)

Joey simply asked during the LSI Awards 2015, that she didn't want to be nominated for anything.... and everyone listened and granted her wishes!

So I don't want to be "celebrated" for any milestones (age number of posts etc) OK??

======other topics here======

* offtopic :
About your recent discussions in Randomness about writing music...

Reading what everyone wrote (A-ha! now some of you recognized that you are writing like I do-----using many many words!)

If everyone has so much to add to this topic... why not someone start and open a permanent thread to discuss "music composition and writing performing playing etc" ?

Joey wrote in Randomness:

His music doesn't have lyrics, so I'm not sure why he's saying that. You have to bear in mind, Jeff, that anyone being able to put words together isn't the same as being able to write a hit song.

Damn skippy everyone would be a musician. I'd be a sexy drummer. I had electronic drums to practice on, but I sucked because I had trouble reading music.

NOT everyone who is a success at music can read music!!!

The Beatles!! Did not know how to read music!

The Monkeys (oh I hear the groans ..... but did you know that
and
see especially Item #9
) Most of them did not know how to read or write music!!!

GUESS how many REALLY can read music when each group made their groundbreaking songs!!

AND GUESS how many major artists can't read a single note or write a single note yet they have "inborn talent" to make music!

Jen is right right right Jeff! Just because you do something, does not mean that its good as people who do it professionally.... there are all these computer programs that help others cheat (and steal) what is not theirs and pass it off as such... Come back with me Jeff to ages before electronic music before MIDI's and computers allow anyone to belt out a tune and lets see what you can do with good old fashioned instruments in your hands you spent decades of your life learning and practicing how to play the way music and lyrics too, were made for centuries (yes including most of what we call the famous Classic Rock and Roll tunes!)

Yes, just like Anthony pointed out:

do you know how I know it's really difficult? because if it was easy everyone would do it, the percentage of the population who'd rather be musicians rather than whatever they're doing probably sits at about 3/4 in the Western hemisphere

And there should have been more dividing of the topic of the conversation in the Randomness discussion between who is talking about actually creating music from "nothing" (whether they can read/write it or not) and those who serve to merely perform songs others have written.... Many of the major pop rock artists of today are just playing songs others have written for them! (Check the song credits.... usually see their name of course---but you may notice in reading albums that the songs may have different people who are not even part of the normal "band" for that artist.. they are extra songwriters.... and there is where the talent lies.... some are better before the audience, out in front, others are more behind the scenes people, writing almost in anonymity...

And even professional performers need and have help! I'll let you all in on one of the secrets to sounding good (thought not many of you can just pick it up--so don't run out and buy a bunch) There are books called "Fake Books".... for most well known songs and various instruments....

But Joey is right... reading music would be a great help---its never too late to learn!

------

Anthony also wrote:

musicians work hard as hell, the job might be more fun than mine night in and night out, but saying that it's easy because software exists is to deny that it takes talent and hard work to create things people want to listen to. Which is easily in the top 5 dumbest things I've read on the internet period

THAT CAN BE SAID ABOUT MOST JOBS, correct?? If you're good at it makes it look easy!

(I'm certain I could think of a better example to use, but don't have the time now, so don't pick it apart please---but this is getting too long for anyone to read) so I'll just throw out there-- Tightrope walkers/circus acrobats etc etc The experts make it all look so easy! Isn't it? Just go and try to do it then!

The trick is.... (pay attention Jeff and some others looking for mid-life career changes) .....to find something that you are good at, and that you enjoy doing!

-----------------

Speaking of Jeff.... hope you find some new girl worthy of your attention..... (not saying its a good thing to do this----us older folks can't get away with it anymore) .......but at your age.... get you and your new stunning girlfriend to casually walk by where the other girl who snubbed you for the "dude" can see both of you.... that's called "karma"!

-----------------

And Joey! Last but not least at all in my thoughts...

As the Great Sherlock Holmes said (through the writing of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in Sign of the Four Chap. 6, p. 111,) :

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

So when you say....

Oh, right, that was how it started. Once again, it wasn't a squirrel. They'd been tied down and the ties had been cut off; none of the food was missing; and they were all discarded in exactly the same place.

I really wanted to spend some time working on this for "fun"....... but the Randomness moved too fast for me.... to write up and post a "fake" Times of London newspaper type front page---- (yes I know you're NOT in London, but you get the flavor I hope----old yellowed pages etc imitating one from Sherlock's time and day)

"Police are Baffled!" "The Birdfeeder nicker has struck again!"

"Made off with dozens of birdfeeders all across the area!"

"Some were discovered and returned to joyous owners, but most have vanished....."

"In other news....... bird populations are mysteriously vanishing from the area!"

"Birdwatchers of the UK are in a Quandary!"

"Who is making off with the birds?"

So my take on all of this is a human, bent on world domination has stolen the bird feeders to lure birds to his lair where he implants mind control chips.... and feeds them there of course... until the day he sets them all free at once....

And of course we know what happens next.... The Mastermind's dream [youtube=Lw0FP9putKM ] [off off topic---why is You Tube link/tag failing for me now? No picture! ]

Alfred Hitchcock predicted this would happen one day...... a criminal mastermind is stealing the birdfeeders to make it real..... "The Birds"!!!

Again, remember the quote.....
How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

CarlJ
CarlJ | 06-12-2015 22:39
definitely a Star Trek fan......Spock said that in the first reboot Star Trek movie from 2009 still not quite understanding the whole no longer posting.....but hey, no issues... will miss reading your posts.....all is good and well........
Ray
Ray | 31-12-2015 11:42
Practice, if the number 2,000 would be the problem (but I read it isn't) I could be a help. You mention the Y2K problem. I happen to be a Y2K software repair guy. I made my first steps in the programming world repairing this Y2K problem in software.

So if the post number of 2,000 gives you the creeps, I can do some tweaking We can go from 1999 to 2001. Of course we can take bigger steps, from 1999 to 19.999 (nobody will notice ), but since post counts is a collectors item, with big steps come the big money
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 31-12-2015 13:52
If that's the case, could you just change mind to a million?!
Ray
Ray | 31-12-2015 14:01
sure, but remember what I said about the money
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 31-12-2015 14:24
I wonder how much 77,910 posts are worth!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 01-01-2016 18:39
Hi Ray (and everyone else!)

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on this!

I appreciate the offer to alter the counting system just for me, Ray
(I would have replied to your post right way, but didn't want to use up a post without also wishing everyone a Happy New Year and catching up on some other posts' passing thoughts..).

I'd much more appreciate you using your skills and Y2K and other programming abilities for providing improvements and maintaining the LSI site itself! Your care and careful tending to the LSI site to keep it running and provide new features benefits far many more people than just myself..... As one actor noted and I agree (quoting from other historically famous sources in a way)
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.

You also wrote:
Practice, if the number 2,000 would be the problem (but I read it isn't)

It isn't the number itself that I'm avoiding as you are correct...

But remember.... even if it was a particular number I was avoiding using...... replacing the number with another number is not the solution at all.... If someone has a particular age they don't want to be---there is nothing one can do or fix to change that... your birthday will come and go and you'll be that age (For Joey and Jenn (at your new job you maybe see this around you) or others here maybe you'd like watching and having a few laughs at this new series on the cable Channel: 'TV Land' from a book by same name "Younger"...

Going on about replacing the number with another number...its the same thing about people who are superstitious and have a fear about the number 13 (Triskaidekaphobia).

They still build buildings with 13 or more floors, they just call the 13th floor 14 (Elevator buttons show the floors going: 12, 14). Its just a fake... the 14'th floor is still 13 floors from the ground!

I'm still saying its something that you (Ray) can't control or fix that easily..... and its the congratulatory lauding by many or few others of my (PracticePractic's) passing not just 2,000. I sort of tried to do something different when I passed 1,000 posts here earlier... but it did not work, so I did give it a try.... can be for any "milestone" any number be it 100 posts 500; 1000; 2000; 50,000 or where Jeff is heading toward 80,000 (when I will congratulate him as I don't mind giving out applause and congratulations to to others upon reaching achievements/milestones whether here at LSI or IRL.......) What I do not prefer is receiving notice and congratulation on attaining such 'Social Media' achievements that one just gets by staying here a long time and regularly posting.... i.e. For example: don't congratulate me on breathing every day.... we all do that..... does it make sense now where I"m going with this?

Thanks!

==================
and some more posting items for Ray, plus everyone else at LSI:

Happy New Year 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it does not get lost in translation...... here are a few more ways for me to say it!!!!

Albanian: Gëzuar Vitin e Ri
Arabic: سنة سعيدة
Azerbaijani: Yeni iliniz mübarək
Bahasa: melayu Selamat tahun baru
Basque: Urte berri on
Bosnian: sretna nova godina
Bulgarian: Щастлива Нова година
Catalan: Feliç any nou
Cebuano (Philippines) : Mabungahong Bag-ong Tuig kaninyong tanan ma-boon-ga-hong bag-ong too-eeg kan-een-yong tan-an
Czech: šťastný nový rok
Danish: Godt nytår
Dutch: Gelukkig Nieuwjaar
Estonian: Head uut aastat
English: Happy New Year
Farsi: سال نو مبارک
Filipino: Manigong Bagong Taon
French: Bonne année
Gaelic (Scotland) : Bliadhna mhath ur
Garifuna: Buiti iseri irumu
German: Frohes Neues Jahr
Greek: Καλή χρονιά
Gujarati: સાલ મુબારક
Hebrew: שָׁנָה טוֹבָה
Hindi: नये साल की हार्दिक शुभकामनायें
Hokkien: Kung Hee Huat Tsai
Hungarian: Boldog Új Évet / Buék
Italian: Buon anno
Irish: Athbhliain faoi mhaise dhuit / Bhliain nua sásta
Italian: Buon anno / Felice anno nuovo
Japanese: あけまして おめでとう ございます
Korean: 새해 복 많이 받으세요
Latvian: Laimīgu Jauno gadu
Lithuanian: Laimingu naujuju metu
Maltese: Is Sena it -Tajba
Mandarin: 新年快乐
Maori: Kia hari te tau hou
Polish: Szczęśliwego nowego roku
Portuguese: Feliz ano novo
Quechua: Allin wata kachun qanpaq (singular) / Allin wata kachun qanqunapaq (plural)
Romanian: La mulți ani!
Russian: С Новым Годом
Serbian: Srećna nova godina
Slovak: Šťastný nový rok
Spanish: Feliz año nuevo
Thai: Sawatdee Pi Mai
Turkish: Yeni yılınız kutlu olsun
Urdu: نايا سال مبارک
Welsh: blwyddyn newydd dda

References!

I'm trying to play catch up on Randomness.... lets see how far behind I've dropped:

On 12-30-15 Joe wrote:
Last day at work and it's kind of sad. So many good memories here.

GOOD LUCK AT YOUR NEW JOB!.... Last day at your old one is always sad.... passing of one stage of your life onto another.... hopefully bigger and brighter stage, so keep upbeat and let us know how everything goes!
----------------
Welcome back Sierra to regular posting! We missed your presence and views on things!
----------------

And just to add to everyone's discussion that I missed out on
About Celine, Heather, Scott, and Jeff all saying how they dislike movies like
Star Wars, etc....

Perhaps I can open your eyes to another view.....

You don't have to "like" like the movie-- Not asking you to become a huge fan or anything like that....... but if you see that this pattern of storytelling is at its most basic ability and desire since earliest recorded time when humans first told myths that gave rise to many of the great civilizations of the world.... Its the telling of these stories that keeps our minds open to the possibilities available to us all around us...every day (yeah yeah I hear and understand you can claim you know this simple fact and don't need a movie to remind you) ----but consider how you can go and watch any of these movies and lose yourself for 2 or more hours completely in a world of others problems and viewing and thinking about their solutions to their problems that makes it feel like you have potential for success in your own lives...

In other words... Celine, Heather, Scott, and Jeff you really need to know about the great "myths" in your lives even today...

Its a LONG QUOTE..... but Wikipedia says a lot of this better than I do.....

So here is long quote.. (skip to the end of the quote, if you want to read more of my messages to everyone else.... you know, its the end when the grey quote type ends.....) And to those who are curious and want to read this quoted stuff (and maybe, just maybe.... read Campbell's books----all the better to you and living your lives today and understanding more of the "big story" and feeling like you can solve your own problems and the world is not as weighty as it once was. For example:
Stories
built on the model of THE HERO OF A THOUSAND FACES have an appeal
that can be felt by everyone, because they spring from a universal
source in the collective unconscious, and because they reflect
universal concerns. They deal with universal questions like "Why was
I born?" "What happens when I die?" "How can I overcome my life
problems and be happy?"

(See! Joe solved his own problems and got a new job/career.... I realize that not everyone is a "self starter" like Joe.... everyone can use a little inspiration and pushing in that direction----enough of my typing... go read who is this "Campbell" fellow is anyway, and what he has to do with our society and "the idea of myth in modern life" today).

From Wikipedia about Joseph Campbell:

Film and television

George Lucas was the first Hollywood filmmaker to credit Campbell's influence. Lucas stated, following the release of the first Star Wars film in 1977, that its story was shaped, in part, by ideas described in The Hero with a Thousand Faces and other works of Campbell's. The linkage between Star Wars and Campbell was further reinforced when later reprints of Campbell's book used the image of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker on the cover.[41] Lucas discusses this influence at great length in the authorized biography of Joseph Campbell, A Fire in the Mind:

I [Lucas] came to the conclusion after American Graffiti that what's valuable for me is to set standards, not to show people the world the way it is...around the period of this realization...it came to me that there really was no modern use of mythology...The Western was possibly the last generically American fairy tale, telling us about our values. And once the Western disappeared, nothing has ever taken its place. In literature we were going off into science fiction...so that's when I started doing more strenuous research on fairy tales, folklore, and mythology, and I started reading Joe's books. Before that I hadn't read any of Joe's books...It was very eerie because in reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces I began to realize that my first draft of Star Wars was following classic motifs...so I modified my next draft [of Star Wars] according to what I'd been learning about classical motifs and made it a little bit more consistent...I went on to read 'The Masks of God' and many other books.[42]

It was not until after the completion of the original Star Wars trilogy in 1983, however, that Lucas met Campbell or heard any of his lectures.[43] The 1988 documentary The Power of Myth was filmed at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. During his interviews with Bill Moyers, Campbell discusses the way in which Lucas used The Hero's Journey in the Star Wars films (IV, V, and VI) to re-invent the mythology for the contemporary viewer. Moyers and Lucas filmed an interview 12 years later in 1999 called the Mythology of Star Wars with George Lucas & Bill Moyers to further discuss the impact of Campbell's work on Lucas' films.[44] In addition, the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution sponsored an exhibit during the late 1990s called Star Wars: The Magic of Myth, which discussed the ways in which Campbell's work shaped the Star Wars films.[45]

Christopher Vogler, a Hollywood screenwriter, created a seven-page company memo based on Campbell's work, A Practical Guide to The Hero With a Thousand Faces,[46] which led to the development of Disney's 1994 film The Lion King.

Many filmmakers of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries have acknowledged the influence of Campbell's work on their own craft. Among films that many viewers have recognized as closely following the pattern of the monomyth are The Matrix series, the Batman series and the Indiana Jones series.[47]

Creator of the TV show Community, Dan Harmon, [ Excellent show! If you have missed it try to find it on reruns! ] often references Campbell as a major influence. According to him, his process of writing with his "Story Circle", which he uses to break every single story he writes, is a formulation of Campbell's work.[48]

Popular literature

After the explosion of popularity brought on by the Star Wars films and The Power of Myth, creative artists in many media recognized the potential to use Campbell's theories to try to unlock human responses to narrative patterns. Novelists,[49] songwriters,[50][51] [ And Yes Jeff even.... video game designers [52] have studied Campbell's work in order to better understand mythology—in particular, the monomyth—and its impact.

Novelist Richard Adams acknowledges a debt to Campbell's work, and specifically to the concept of the monomyth.[53] In his best known work, Watership Down, Adams uses extracts from The Hero with a Thousand Faces as chapter epigrams.[54]

Dan Brown mentioned in a NY times interview that Joseph Campbell's works, particularly The Power of Myth and The Hero with a Thousand Faces, inspired him to create the character of Robert Langdon.[55] (The author of Angels and Demons, the DaVinci Code etc all made into movies)

========================

P.S. I just watched Angels and Demons this New Years' Eve [I tend not to post in "what are you watching now" threads just to raise my numbers of postings here!] as I've not seen it yet from its 2009 release. There is no relation to this posting other than coincidence it came up under unwatched movies listings last night... as I had written this material earlier to post sometime when I use up another posting number. At that time I knew about the Da Vinci Code's relation to Joseph Campbell's books, but not the newer novel/movie so had not actually seen that movie----and pleased to see that the book/and movie from which it came... does continue the discussion mentioned in Wikipedia and what I said above.

More (!) ......

Don't worry so much about Nova Jeff.... provide food, water, shelter and "love" and he'll do fine... Remember! Rabbits grew up and survived in the outdoors from little babies until they have more babies (ever see how fast they multiply in the wild?) all successfully.... Nature provided Nova with everything to live just fine... make sure they have exercise and activity too.... no one likes a fat lazy bunny---not good for active outdoor bunny kept inside.... Your home is far more welcoming place for Nova than the harsh outdoor world he would have lived in another life!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-01-2016 18:41
I still don't understand. Like I said to you in a message, most of us don't celebrate our post milestones any more, so there's no pressure or need for you to do so.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 01-01-2016 21:13
Don't worry so much about Nova Jeff....

Practice, I never posted anything about Nova in here, that was in Randomness. I'm not sure why that is relevant in this thread...
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-01-2016 21:22
* offtopic :
Because he's been reading Randomness but doesn't want to use up his posts, so he included it in the one for here. He was trying to be helpful and nice; don't be rude about it. Year for maturing, remember?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 01-01-2016 21:37
No no, I wasn't being rude, haha, I'm just confused as to why he doesn't want to respond in randomness.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: