Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-08-2015 18:29
*Introductory theme tune*

Yay, 40!

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. looking up answers; asking others)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.
26 to 50 of 133 comments
page 2 of 6
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 16:31
I'm English, Practice. I know of Earl Grey, I just have no desire to try it. I already have a tea I love - the English Breakfast kind of tea, but we buy a Fairtrade version.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 17:23
ROUND #1

Your first category in our 40th quiz is...

BEVERAGES

And the question concerns...

TEA AND COFFEE

Sorry it's not alcohol. I'm going to give you fourteen descriptions now of types of tea, coffee, or other herbal infusions. I've also included their initials. Can you tell me what they are?

AN INDIAN BEVERAGE MADE BY BOILING TEA LEAVES WITH MILK, SUGAR, AND SPICES (C)

A COLD, SWEETENED COFFEE THAT ORIGINATED IN ALGERIA, NAMED AFTER A VILLAGE THERE (M)

A FROTHY COFFEE, OFTEN WITH CHOCOLATE SPRINKLED ON TOP, NAMED AFTER AN ORDER OF FRIARS (C)

A COFFEE MADE WITH STEAMED MILK, POPULARIZED IN NEW ZEALAND IN THE 1980s (FW)

A BERGAMOT-FLAVOURED CHINA TEA, SHARES ITS NAME WITH A BRITISH PRIME MINISTER (EG)

A FRENCH COFFEE SERVED WITH MILK (CAL)

A BITTER, HIGHLY-CAFFEINATED SOUTH AMERICAN HERBAL TEA SOMETIMES KNOWN AS 'YERBA' (MA)

A DRINK MADE FROM MILK TEA AND TAPIOCA BALLS (BT)

A COFFEE FLAVOURED WITH CHOCOLATE, SHARES ITS NAME WITH A PORT IN YEMEN (M)

A BLACK CHINA TEA WITH A STRONG DISTINCTIVE SMOKY FLAVOUR (LS)

A HERBAL INFUSION, ITS NAME IS DERIVED FROM THE AFRIKAANS FOR 'RED BUSH' (R)

AN ITALIAN COFFEE WHOSE NAME IS THE ITALIAN WORD FOR MILK (L)

A VERY STRONG, CONCENTRATED COFFEE; ITS NAME MEANS 'LIMITED' IN ITALIAN (R)

TYPICALLY A BLEND OF ASSAM & CEYLON TEAS, SO-NAMED BECAUSE IT IS POPULAR IN THE MORNING (EB)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 17:24
About an hour left of this round.

Answers so far:
A VERY STRONG, CONCENTRATED COFFEE; ITS NAME MEANS 'LIMITED' IN ITALIAN (R) – RISTRETTO (Bruna)

A DRINK MADE FROM MILK TEA AND TAPIOCA BALLS (BT)
- BUBBLE TEA (Lisa)

A HERBAL INFUSION, ITS NAME IS DERIVED FROM THE AFRIKAANS FOR 'RED BUSH' – ROOIBOS (Jeff)

A FRENCH COFFEE SERVED WITH MILK (CAL) – CAFÉ AU LAIT (Anthony)

A COFFEE FLAVOURED WITH CHOCOLATE, SHARES ITS NAME WITH A PORT IN YEMEN (M) – MOCHA (Sarah)

AN INDIAN BERVERAGE MADE BY BOILING TEA LEAVES WITH MILK, SUGAR, AND SPICES (C) – CHAI (Kaleb)

A BERGAMOT-FLAVOURED CHINA TEA, SHARES ITS NAME WITH A BRITISH PRIME MINISTER (EG) – EARL GREY (Practice)

TYPICALLY A BLEND OF ASSAM & CEYLON TEAS, SO-NAMED BECAUSE IT IS POPULAR IN THE MORNING (EB) – ENGLISH BREAKFAST (Joe)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 17:58
I just thought of something. I said I was gonna give a prize to the person who had the lowest combined first round score every five quizzes, but that wouldn't work because, for example, someone might only play two of the five quizzes and score low each time, putting people who play all five at a disadvantage.

Soo I guess I'll make it the winner of every fifth quiz, which is a shame as I thought the other way might encourage more people to play.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 03-08-2015 18:00
Hmm. You could count only the people who do play in all five? Reward the loyal players. It feels like mostly the same people every time.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 18:36
I considered that, but there are a couple of people who play a lot of the quizzes but sometimes miss them, like Joe, Jeremy, and Carl (who's missed this one), and previously Sierra before her butt disappeared on us and Jen before she got too busy (boohoo both). Sometimes people have a particularly busy weekend, or don't feel able to give a good first round answer, or else just don't feel in the mood.

Results comin' up.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 18:53
ROUND #1 RESULTS

Eight players this round, so we lose three of you now and three in the next! The three of you leaving now are...

Practice: 80 (EARL GREY)
Sarah: 62 (MOCHA)
Joe: 36 (ENGLISH BREAKFAST)

Kaleb: 34 (CHAI)
Anthony: 28 (CAFÉ AU LAIT)
Jeff: 20 (ROOIBOS)
Lisa: 3 (BUBBLE TEA)
Bruna: 2 (RISTRETTO)
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 03-08-2015 19:09
Whoop!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 22:08
ROUND #2

Congrats, people who are through. Our category for Round #2 is...

COUNTRIES

I think this one's a bit harder than some of our previous geography-related rounds. Good luck! The question concerns...

MEANINGS OF COUNTRIES' NAMES

I'm going to give you twelve translations of the meanings of names of countries from around the world. You just have to tell me what the country is.

LION MOUNTAINS
THE BEARDED ONES
GREEN CAPE
LAND OF SILVER / SILVERY
LOW LANDS
LITTLE VENICE
EQUATOR
RICH COAST
THE NORTHERN WAY
WHITE RUSSIA
NEW SEA LAND
EIGHT STANDING TOGETHER
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 03-08-2015 22:15
EIGHT STANDING TOGETHER - Tuvalu
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 22:32
Teach you that in school, do they?
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 03-08-2015 22:34
Didn't think I'd make it through!
WHITE RUSSIA - Belarus
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 03-08-2015 22:38
Teach you that in school, do they?

Sure do, and they did a great job at making us remember these. (When I actually went to class) I knew three of them but this one stands out the most, meaning it will probably be a higher scoring one. :p
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 03-08-2015 22:42
NY school districts are all about teaching the meaning of names of countries that no one but the people who live there have ever heard of before...
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 22:43
Please be a bit more subtle in your cheating; this insults our intelligence.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 22:53
On another note... Cruds, I'm hopeless at remembering to fill in the blanks before the next round, sorry! I'ma just do it now.

The best answer on the board, the pointless one, was MAZAGRAN for A COLD, SWEETENED COFFEE THAT ORIGINATED IN ALGERIA, NAMED AFTER A VILLAGE THERE (M). Anyone heard of it?

The highest scorer on the board was LATTE, which is the ITALIAN COFFEE WHOSE NAME IS THE ITALIAN WORD FOR MILK (L). 84 points for that one.

CAPPUCCINO was also a big scorer, 76 points for the FROTHY COFFEE, OFTEN WITH CHOCOLATE SPRINKLED ON TOP, NAMED AFTER AN ORDER OF FRIARS (C).

The BLACK CHINA TEA WITH A STRONG DISTINCTIVE SMOKY FLAVOUR (LS) is named LAPSANG SOUCHONG, which is a wonderful name. I'd never heard of it, but I guess it's fairly popular, as it scored 24 points.

FLAT WHITE is the COFFEE MADE WITH STEAMED MILK, POPULARIZED IN NEW ZEALAND IN THE 1980s (FW) and could also be used to describe my breasts. 16 points for that.

And the BITTER, HIGHLY-CAFFEINATED SOUTH AMERICAN HERBAL TEA SOMETIMES KNOWN AS 'YERBA' (MA) is MATE and scored 5 points. I guess it's not pronounced like the term used to mean friend.
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 03-08-2015 22:55
I thought it was mate!!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 22:56
Damn, you should've taken the risk!
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 03-08-2015 22:57
The MA confused me. I thought that meant it was two words. One with an M, one with an A.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-08-2015 23:00
Yeah, I don't know why they wrote it like that, sorry. I might check and see if it wasn't just a mistake on my part. :p
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 03-08-2015 23:01
I thought the same thing Sarah
fishmunky
fishmunky | 03-08-2015 23:53
LAND OF SILVER / SILVERY - Argentina
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 04-08-2015 05:04
LITTLE VENICE - Venezuela

I thought it was lapsang souchong, but I didn't know how to spell it.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 04-08-2015 07:21
Thanks Joey---yes I know you're wonderfully British...

Thanks for sharing about your fav English Breakfast Tea (looked up what the Fairtraid/Fairtrade companies are and what they do---its a good deed company--actually actively doing something to fight poverty around the globe--something rare in the world today)...
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 04-08-2015 17:25
LAND OF SILVER / SILVERY - Argentina

helps if you know french
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: