LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Genres that could be added/replaced

Follow 6
Add topic
Search
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 23-05-2015 23:46
I've noticed for a while now that there's some genres that could be added, as well as replaced.

The main issue that comes to mind is that there's separate genres here for Rap and Hip-Hop. Why is that? They're the exact same genre and the musical difference is nonexistent. I've found that it's referred to as hip hop more than it is rap now. Heck, even searching "rap music" on Wikipedia redirects you to "hip hop". However, I'm sure it's impossible to completely replace the "rap" genre here with "hip hop" (unless there is an admin tool for that exists), but I just wanted to mention this either way, since we have two categories here for the same genre, which is a bit redundant.

On the other hand, in terms of genres that could be added, I think "comedy" (or "novelty") and "new wave" should be added. I'm quite surprised they're not added yet, especially seeing as how we have categories for subgenres here like New Age and Trance (which I don't have a problem with at all, but since both fall under the already-existing Electronic category, I don't see why these shouldn't get added too).
51 to 71 of 71 comments
page 3 of 3
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-04-2016 00:51
Nahhh lets keep that!

Well that would be the same thing with dance, house, trance etc.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 00:52
Just stumbled across this thread and want to throw in something that's kinda been bugging me when moderating artists. I would like to see the "Ethnic/Folk" genre separated into 2 genres - "Ethnic" and "Folk". I LOVE "folk rock" and "folk pop" (Jake Bugg and George Ezra are 2 examples) but much of this is NOT ethnic. They should really be 2 separate genres IMO

When I made my post of genres that should be added/removed/renamed back in September, I actually suggested removing Ethnic from the genre entirely and renaming it to Folk. IMO it would work better this way since it can apply to the more modern folk music and the classic folk music (also because it's not really known as "ethnic" music and is more recognizable as "folk" music). For example, with indie folk, you can just put the genres Indie and Folk in the genre form, Folk and Pop with folk pop, and the like.

Nahhh lets keep that!

Well that would be the same thing with dance, house, trance etc.

You have quite the bias when it comes to EDM-related genres, don't you?

But exactly, it would be the same deal with Trance and Techno, they fall under Electronic and are rather redundant.
DonnyW
DonnyW | 30-04-2016 00:56
^ Exactly my point, Nicolas. Folk rock and folk pop is not necessarily "ethnic". I would agree with completely doing away with the "ethnic" label.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 00:59
Because...the music of other cultures doesn't matter?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 01:01
I'm not saying that. There are countless types of folk music and having the genre named simply "folk" could encompass all of them without making it too complicated (which includes the music indigenous to certain cultures, traditional folk, etc.) And after all, we want the genre system to be streamlined, but accurate, right?

Like Donny said, not all folk music is necessarily ethnic music. Renaming the genre to just "folk" would fix that discrepancy.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 01:05
Exactly, not all folk music is ethnic music, so they're not the same and should both exist.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 01:13
Hmm. To my knowledge, ethnic music is a form of folk music (searching it on Wikipedia redirects you to folk music's page) and I was saying that the "folk" genre could encompass many types of folk, including the indigenous music of certain cultures.
DonnyW
DonnyW | 30-04-2016 01:20
Good point, Joey. Keep "ethnic" - just make it a separate genre. I actually recently discovered Xavier Rudd who is an Australian folk artist. I would definitely consider his music "ethnic" however Wikipedia lists his genres as: "Folk, blues, indie folk, folk rock, reggae".
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 01:21
I did indeed look it up and experience the redirection on Wikipedia. However, when you Google the definition of folk music, it says

Folk music includes both traditional music and the genre that evolved from it during the 20th century folk revival. The term originated in the 19th century but is often applied to music that is older than that. Some types of folk music are also called world music.

Regardless of the last sentence, culture isn't mentioned*; it's just about a period in history. So I'm not sure why the names are sometimes used interchangeably, as they don't sound like the same thing.

*Unless traditional music relates to different cultures/communities? But I Googled the definition for that also and again it mentions a period of time.
DonnyW
DonnyW | 30-04-2016 01:25
In my mind ( ) I think of "world music" as "ethnic" and "folk music" as "unplugged"-type music with acoustic stringed instruments, percussion, and maybe piano.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 30-04-2016 01:26
World Music is what Wiki defines it. We could have Ethnic and World music. How about that?
DonnyW
DonnyW | 30-04-2016 01:28
Ethnic/World makes more sense to me than Ethnic/Folk
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 01:30
That's an idea, Scott - perhaps rename Ethnic/Folk to Folk and create a World genre (or Ethnic/World)?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-04-2016 01:53
I'd be happy with that.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 01:55
Sounds better to me. I'm glad we at least had some discussion to contribute to the thread. We'll see if Ray notices this thread again and if he has anything else to input on these ideas as a whole. If not, I'll PM him about it at some point.
TygrHawk
TygrHawk | 29-10-2016 09:52
I get the dilemma with genres. Some songs fit neatly into these compartments that humans have created to describe music, but much of it doesn't. Especially recently, it seems, there has been a lot of crossover. Also, I agree that getting into creating sub-genres could turn into a nightmare. And, I'm not sure how many people really pay attention to genre.

Having said that, there is one genre that I keep wishing was there, but I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread. How about one for "Holiday"? We don't need to get into specifically which holiday, but it would be nice to indicate that some songs are (at least somewhat) seasonal.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 29-10-2016 19:08
"Holiday" is indeed a good idea, I agree. It's much like how I proposed we add "comedy" as a genre because it's an important style of music.

I don't know if Ray is still keeping up with this thread (it's been over a year since he's posted here) but that's definitely something to add to my list of proposed genres on the first page of this thread.
TygrHawk
TygrHawk | 29-10-2016 20:04
Thanks. I guess it was at the top of my mind because I added one and edited one Christmas album last night lol
musdan77
musdan77 | 11-12-2016 00:41
I mentioned this on another thread and was directed here: [like TygrHawk] How about adding a "Christmas" (or "Holiday") genre? I know that some Christmas songs/recordings can be put under pop or R&B or country or jazz... but the more traditional ones don't really fit into any that are available. There have been times when I didn't put any genre to a song because of that.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 11-12-2016 02:15
Yes, TygrHawk suggested the exact same thing. Not sure if you're just backing him up or not (I can't tell if you read my conversation with him above) but yes, I definitely agree such a genre should be added.
musdan77
musdan77 | 12-12-2016 01:23
Yeah, I was just repeating what I had said (explaining why I thought it should be added) before I read his. I should have suggested it years ago.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: