LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Genres that could be added/replaced

Follow 6
Add topic
Search
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 23-05-2015 23:46
I've noticed for a while now that there's some genres that could be added, as well as replaced.

The main issue that comes to mind is that there's separate genres here for Rap and Hip-Hop. Why is that? They're the exact same genre and the musical difference is nonexistent. I've found that it's referred to as hip hop more than it is rap now. Heck, even searching "rap music" on Wikipedia redirects you to "hip hop". However, I'm sure it's impossible to completely replace the "rap" genre here with "hip hop" (unless there is an admin tool for that exists), but I just wanted to mention this either way, since we have two categories here for the same genre, which is a bit redundant.

On the other hand, in terms of genres that could be added, I think "comedy" (or "novelty") and "new wave" should be added. I'm quite surprised they're not added yet, especially seeing as how we have categories for subgenres here like New Age and Trance (which I don't have a problem with at all, but since both fall under the already-existing Electronic category, I don't see why these shouldn't get added too).
26 to 50 of 71 comments
page 2 of 3
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-09-2015 19:46
Again, I ended that part of my post with "it's debatable". I wasn't saying we should definitely remove one or the other entirely based on my opinion. I was simply stating my personal thoughts on the matter, as I find the difference to be rather ill-defined - but that's just me. Perhaps others understand it more. I was also trying to say that the whole concept of rap vs. hip hop is a common debate - not even just on this thread. I've seen the debate on other places online as well (just Google "rap vs. hip hop" and you'll find some articles on it). Like I said in the disclaimer at the beginning of the post, all of what I listed in my post is simply suggestions and from my point of view - it's all open for discussion.

As for Cult music, I also didn't say that it didn't exist because it didn't have a Wikipedia page, I was just throwing that in there, because Wikipedia does have most known genres, from well-known genres to more obscure sub-genres. If it is a genre of music, or even an umbrella term, I would expect it to be on there. But even that aside, I tried Googling "cult music" and "cult music genre" and honestly can't find anything on it, so it's either some extremely obscure niche of music or an outdated umbrella term. If nothing relevant appears on a Google search, let alone Wikipedia, I'm questioning the validity of it. Does anyone have info on this? If they do, I'd appreciate it, because this has piqued my interest.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 10-09-2015 20:09
You'd already stated them. Yes, it's open for discussion, but we've already had that discussion. We'll never reach a decision if we continue to repeat/debate our personal opinions.

You didn't directly say it, but you referred only to Wikipedia when mentioning your search for it. Anyway, I also Googled "Cult music" and on the first page there's this, so I'm surprised you apparently couldn't find anything mentioning it, given it is there. Though I wouldn't say that one page means we should have it on the site.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 10-09-2015 20:21
Still waiting for dubstep to be added.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-09-2015 20:37
You didn't directly say it, but you referred only to Wikipedia when mentioning your search for it. Anyway, I also Googled "Cult music" and on the first page there's this, so I'm surprised you apparently couldn't find anything mentioning it, given it is there. Though I wouldn't say that one page means we should have it on the site.

I did see that, but I didn't count it because I'm pretty sure it's not referring to "cult" as a genre in this context. I think it's describing these music heroes as having a cult following, not calling them heroes in terms of being categorized as "cult music".

Maybe that's what the genre here is referring to - artists that have a cult following. But that's not even a genre, that's purely subjective and a way of viewing artists, not a means of categorizing their music. If that's the case, then I'd obviously be for removing it, but I'd rather hear a clear-cut definition of what Ray means by it - after all, he did add the genres to the site.

Still waiting for dubstep to be added.

I don't think it should be added, honestly. Like Trance and Techno, it falls under the broader Electronic.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 10-09-2015 20:40
In a way yes, but Dubstep is its own genre. Same thing with Trap and Hardstyle...
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-09-2015 20:42
In a way yes, but Dubstep is its own genre. Same thing with Trap and Hardstyle...

What do you mean by it is "its own genre"? Every genre is "its own genre", isn't it? By this logic, we'd have to include subgenres in all other areas of music, and that's exactly the opposite of what we want - we want something simplistic enough to accurately categorize all music, yet not too complex so people aren't overwhelmed or confused. Everything you listed can easily be categorized under something else (Dubstep and Hardstyle under Electronic, and Trap under either Electronic or Hip Hop/Rap).
Joeyy
Joeyy | 10-09-2015 21:49
It's titled 'Cult music heroes...', but I agree with you about the unclear definition.

What do you mean by it is "its own genre"? Every genre is "its own genre", isn't it? By this logic, we'd have to include subgenres in all other areas of music, and that's exactly the opposite of what we want...

Well, you're saying "we", but who are you speaking for? It's a shame only a few people who moderate artists comment in the forum. We have to make the decisions for everyone and they won't be what everyone wants. Some people, like Jeff, are passionate about the distinction between the sub-genres. I'd be for it, too, if it wasn't for how many there are today.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 10-09-2015 22:47
It's titled 'Cult music heroes...'

I read it as cult music heroes, and I've heard this term used in a similar way plenty of times before, usually referring to artists that aren't necessarily popular (in terms of chart success) but have their own devoted cult following. With that said, I'm almost certain that's what it's getting at. Even if you just Google "cult heroes", you'll see this is a common phrase outside of music.

* offtopic :
Unrelated, but there was even a band named Cult Hero.

Well, you're saying "we", but who are you speaking for? It's a shame only a few people who moderate artists comment in the forum. We have to make the decisions for everyone and they won't be what everyone wants.

Yeah, that is a big issue, and I wish more users did add input ton these threads. It really frustrates me sometimes - it would make for a much more accurate sample in terms of representing the community as a whole. But alas, many are quiet and don't want to post in the forum (or if they do, it's restricted to Randomness).

As for "we", I'm speaking for those that actually have posted in this thread that have expressed they want something "simple yet accurate". I believe both Ray and Sierra expressed this view.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 17-09-2015 23:21
Nicolas Quoted Joey from earlier in the thread:
"Well, you're saying "we", but who are you speaking for? It's a shame only a few people who moderate artists comment in the forum. We have to make the decisions for everyone and they won't be what everyone wants. "

Then added this:
Yeah, that is a big issue, and I wish more users did add input ton these threads. It really frustrates me sometimes - it would make for a much more accurate sample in terms of representing the community as a whole. But alas, many are quiet and don't want to post in the forum (or if they do, it's restricted to Randomness).

I'm still an outsider, but I read the postings and I remember someone complaining about the order of the public reviews...that you can't "skip" them, you're forced to go through each one (one by one) to decrease the number waiting on your "to do list" or whatever its called here.

I'm pointing that out in that there is a poll program/app that can be set to that setting--- Not to over do it and have a question every time... but I could see in this case---if you really want an honest opinion from all the artist moderators out there, this might be a way to get them to respond without having to read the discussion on the randomness or specific threads like this genres thread.

I would assume perhaps that only Ray should have the power to place the Mandatory Poll (or how about calling it a "sticky" poll) on the Artists Moderators' "to do lists", ---but "anyone" can write one up.

Maybe there is can be a new thread for others to "edit" the poll with all of us giving back and forth suggestions on the style/content of the question and the choices; in order to save Ray the trouble of composing it---and explain the two sides of the issue. I have found over the years, a simple yes/no poll would get the best results if you can work out the question to be that simple Nicolas.

Its a thought, its a way to get positive, quick feedback from the most users in short amount of time, so you can then decide to go/no go with changes that effect everyone (before the complaints come back after the change has been made) .... Hope you understand what I'm writing here.

Thanks for having me share my thoughts on that.
roxcyn
roxcyn | 08-10-2015 05:02
Rap & Hip-hop can be in the same song, but it doesn't make them the same thing. Here are some examples that use rap, but are definitely not hip hop.

Roxette - Fireworks

Roxette - Crush on You

Blondie - One Way or Another

Blondie - Rapture

You can see a mixture of pop and rap in the songs.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 08-10-2015 19:46
Makes sense, yeah. The genre can be used for songs that have rapping in them but aren't necessarily hip hop. It can also be used for hip hop hybrid genres, like rap metal and such.

Anyways, it would be nice to get Ray's opinion on my list of genres, he hasn't posted here for a month.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 21-01-2016 20:06
There's only just "electro."
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 21-01-2016 20:34
What do you mean?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 21-01-2016 20:44
I mean that the basic human only considers it as just "electro" whereas the more advanced human sees that there are sub genres.

And no, I'm not calling anyone here an idiot as it was just a little joke I wanted to share with you.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 21-01-2016 21:00
Oh okay. I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. On LSI we don't need all of those genres, just Electronic. If we included all subgenres in the world the list would be a mess! So just Electronic can suit all of those.

Hopefully Ray gets started with these soon, as I've had this thread open for eight months. But currently he's busy with other site-related things.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 21-01-2016 21:03
I do agree that if those sub genres were added, then other sub genres would need to be added.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 00:31
Wow, this thread's been around for almost a year now... I wonder if anything's progressed on this front with Ray. Ray said we should discuss a plan for this before we decide what genres should be added/removed, and I previously gave a list of such genres to kind of spur the discussion of said plan. Unfortunately, we didn't really have much follow-up discussion after that. It's a very subjective topic and would be really helpful if we got as much input as we could (which obviously I can't control, but it's what I'd like to see in a perfect world).

Yes, it's not a priority, unlike the site glitches I've been posting in Support - but this is still something on the table for whenever Ray has time to work with it.

That aside, I also wanted to pop in this thread to add another genre to my list of genres to be renamed: Children to Children's. The genre is usually referred to as "children's music", not "children music", so I feel like this is an apt change.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-04-2016 00:33
^ Agree! I didn't even catch that error or maybe it goes under "spelling errors"?---I've got to slow down and really read what I'm reading on this site to catch things better!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 00:37
Hmm, perhaps I could post them in Spelling errors, but I'm not sure. I figured this was a good thread to post them in though so we can sort of group all the genre business into one thread for whenever Ray wants to start working with it.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-04-2016 00:39
Also requesting we add those sub genres of electro.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 00:40
The joke's long dead, Jeff. I previously mentioned to you that if we included all of the electronic subgenres, we'd have to include all of the other subgenres in the world. That wouldn't be fair, and we want to keep this simple, yet accurate.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-04-2016 00:44
Yes, yes it is, haha.

And yes Nicolas, you're absolutely right!
DonnyW
DonnyW | 30-04-2016 00:47
Just stumbled across this thread and want to throw in something that's kinda been bugging me when moderating artists. I would like to see the "Ethnic/Folk" genre separated into 2 genres - "Ethnic" and "Folk". I LOVE "folk rock" and "folk pop" (Jake Bugg and George Ezra are 2 examples) but much of this is NOT ethnic. They should really be 2 separate genres IMO.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-04-2016 00:47
That's actually a great idea, Donny!
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 30-04-2016 00:48
Also, another genre I surprisingly haven't mentioned - Club. I don't think this is a genre in itself - rather, it's an umbrella term for music that would normally be played in a club (dance, EDM, hip hop/rap, etc.) In addition, searching "Club music" on Wikipedia redirects you to the EDM page. So this seems like a redundant genre to me.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: