LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Non-Concert, Non-Performance, Non-Album lyrics

Follow 3
Add topic
Search
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 17-05-2015 05:11
I don't know where to put this so its out here in open GD General Discussion for everyone....

Non-Concert, Non-Performance, Non-Recording album uses of song lyrics
I know I type lengthy items so I don't want the "sticky" portion of this thread to be long, so I'll post in the first posting of this thread my long explanation of what this is about, ok?
7 comments
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 17-05-2015 05:12
I had this thought earlier, but was recently reminded of it as here in the US there is a commercial running using Daryl Hall and John Oates song "You Make My Dreams" (Unfortunately the commercial has not yet been you tubed ((is that a verb?)) so I don't have it).

LetsSingIt is mainly a music lyrics website, but has of course you tubes, etc of the songs in performance.

A quick Google search discovered a lot more uses of that Hall & Oates song in movies, television and of course on commercials: (i.e. one from Australia). (read first 8 paragraphs).

Someone made a compilation of the uses of the "You Make My Dreams" song on the web (again, non-concert, non-performance, non-album uses ).

For example he gives, and I especially liked this montage, but again is it off topic for a lyric website? but wondering and open for discussion here, if uses like this have any place in this website?

Quote about the Montage:
And, just in case this list didn't quite fill your Hall & Oates fix, check out this amazing mash-up of nearly every appearance "You Make My Dreams" makes in film and television history, put together by Youtuber Joe Dewitt. (And good luck in keeping it out of your head for the rest of the day).

I just used this Hall & Oates as the current commercial got me thinking about it, but you know from Michael Jackson, ( The long chase version of the iconic commercial ) (I cant't seem to choose which to show, so here is another one: (Note the changes in Lyrics (!) for the commercial.... shouldn't we have all these variations of these artist's most famous songs all listed and typed out on the LSI site? )

And least we don't forget the famous Microsoft '95 use of Mick Jagger song: , in this Rare, hard to find Original Commercial Or You Tube Link (not working?) songs have seen other uses all around us.

(Could not resist adding in California Raisins a la Jackson (be patient, wait until after Michael's creative imagining of the commercial talk).

So the question today for everyone is that is there room on the "Artist" pages (and do the Artist Moderators want to do the work to adding them in ) all here or not?

What is everyone's opinions? Pro and con? I've given my two cents (long typed again).

Your turn!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-05-2015 01:44
I love You Make My Dreams, and I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt's scene in (500) Days Of Summer [2009] in which the song plays.

If you look at the page for You Make My Dreams, you'll see (right near the top) a list of albums on which it's featured (click the "read more" button to see all). As you can see from that, at least some of the film soundtracks it's on are listed on LSI.

As well as films, we do have TV shows and their music on here. Not every television programme or film - or their music - is going to be on, because there are a heck of a lot of them. ;p That's where people like you come in! I notice you do a lot of suggesting, which is great, but you could "do" many of your suggestions yourself. Why not? If something's missing from the site and you care that it is, contribute it yourself.

As for advertisements...I don't know about that one. It wouldn't be practical to try to add all of the world's adverts to LSI for their one song or piece of music (many of which are hard to identify). If artists had a trivia page, it could go there, but I don't think Ray wants any more pages - we lost the 'News' section recently. Too many blank pages cost money or something (I can't remember exactly what the explanation was). I guess people will just have to use the comment section if they want to point out information like that.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 19-05-2015 05:08
If you look at the page for You Make My Dreams, you'll see (right near the top) a list of albums on which it's featured (click the "read more" button to see all). As you can see from that, at least some of the film soundtracks it's on are listed on LSI.

Thanks for that Joey! You might have noticed I've still not have learned or availed myself of all the fabulous tools and features of the site yet, just learning the ropes here before doing stuff (see below)....

That's where people like you come in! I notice you do a lot of suggesting, which is great, but you could "do" many of your suggestions yourself. Why not? If something's missing from the site and you care that it is, contribute it yourself.

You are quite right to suggest that I do the work myself. I'm not in any way trying to dump a whole load of work on everyone else.... but.. but.... I do make mistakes, I do not have the time I would like to have to research things before presenting them..... so here I'm just making "broad strokes" suggestions and leaving it for others who have much more knowledge of how to do things here to actually accomplish the tasks.....

I see your link to the "Contribute" section... Ok, if you want me to..
I'll convert my items here in this post to "suggestions" for the Contribute area and see how the review process goes...

But beware I'll be writing lots more when I'm trying to back up my finds with evidence of their usefulness and other aspects so they get added to the site by the artist mods in the "Review Corner"

Great new banner design for the Help screen if anyone takes notice of the artistry of Ray and his crew of web artists !

(yes I know---that topic line should be elsewhere---so what? I'll repeat it there too!)

(Yes I found lots to quote from your one posting above! You wrote a lot of excellent material for me to comment to!)

Too many blank pages cost money or something (I can't remember exactly what the explanation was).

Note in one of my earliest postings.... I asked Ray about the "Economic Model" for the website... its a technical term for how the money flows in to support the site. I wrote, wondering and asking that if we stayed on as "Guests" would that help the economic balance sheet of this site. (I actually did that for about 2 weeks) and also clicked on the ads that were presented to me---and interested me----I assume that each of the clicks are "paid" to the site as other sites do.... so if people want to help go and visit and view the ads... [not just view but potentially buy the items as the ads I see are picking up on our Google searches] But Ray seemed to indicate it was more important to have us as valued members, visible and signed in, creating the content/lyrics for the site--so I've done that since then, being informed of Ray's preference for the site.....

So that long explanation that still leaves as a mystery, the question of why he is concerned about having blank pages.. maybe because a "news" section can be so variable?? He has to leave a certain number of "page views" open for each artist to hold the news---and if some artists use less or even "none" those page views are just wasted... and they take up space here on the "internet" web site (and use up bandwidth if you know that word)----- Probably messed up this attempt to explain it more to the public what I understand in more technical terms... I try, but not always hit the home runs in explaining some very geeky computer technobabble to the general public to get understanding and appreciation for what goes on in terms of programming issues/challenges here.

As for advertisements...I don't know about that one. It wouldn't be practical to try to add all of the world's adverts to LSI for their one song or piece of music (many of which are hard to identify).

I guess I bombed out on explaining what I meant in this thread....
Anyone who wants to can Google an artist name or song and find all the places it appears...

That is a good "link" to add in somewhere in trivia etc.

What I was looking for here... was that the various changes in Lyrics should be recorded/typed immortalized somewhere... Aren't they part of the original artist's outpouring of talent and imagination?

Michael Jackson's "Bille Jean" became "Pepsi Generation" in the lyrics! I'm just NO GOOD at translating this myself (else I'd assist MCSMeister in his various requests for songs---I read each of his postings and try to see if I have them in my collection to help, but so far---no. Its up to those who can hear and type simultaneously to get these lyrics down for everyone to read and enjoy and sing too!

So I never meant to use every snippet of song (some without lyrics) that advertisers use.. but those rare gems where they get permission, or get the original artist themselves to alter the words of the song to help sell a product. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the commercialization but I realize that is how people have to make a living/employment in getting paid for making songs that are famous the world over---what good is that if you are not paid for what you have accomplished?

So its those few special commercials I wanted to see an "alternative" lyrics listing somewhere.... might be more than a "trivia" section can hold....depends on the size Ray left for it.... Maybe its also another issue I know I raised earlier that I've heard some concert recordings to differ from the "official" album/sheet music printed productions of the artists as they take liberties with the music. I know I mentioned one I heard myself where the band, who had one artist who was performing in his hometown.....changed for that ONE performance the words of the song! Where is that to appear in the "lyrics" site.

So that is my intention here.. to just open up a new section just a little bit---for holding those variations and derivations of song words whether done by the artist themselves or by a commercial/movie etc. purposely for effect since we all know the words it becomes a "new" song to all of us to sing....

Ah! That's about four cents worth of words... I'll stop at this point and see if anyone comments on it----or what you have to say about it Joey
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 19-05-2015 17:44
Thank you Sadrine75 and welcome to LetsSingIt! Happy to see someone from Morocco here!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 19-05-2015 17:47
Haha. It's spam, Practice. I'm having trouble carding at the moment - it isn't working - and I assume my fellow mods are, too. I've let Ray know.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 19-05-2015 18:04
Yeah, I can't card either.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 20-05-2015 01:45
Ha ! ah ah.... but that was the nicest Spam I've ever had!
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: